• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My first brick... 1989 240 DL Wagon

Alright, little update. I have been slacking on my build thread as I have been collecting parts for the better part of the past month!

Had honestly just enjoyed driving the car around... it is such a blast. But things have changed.

It all started on a nice cruise to disney... everything went down the crapper in about the span of 6 miles. Turns out the clutch and trans decided they no longer wanted to function as they should.

After getting it back to the shop... wound up tearing it down and decided it was now or never for the T5 swap.

So of course the collection of parts and ordering stuff has engulfed the last month. Of course I can't just do the "buy a used trans" and "piece together cheap parts". I have to go all out and buy everything once. I don't want to have to do it again down the road! I can't wait to get everything back into the car and get it back on the road!

I did decide to get up to the shop this weekend and do some prep work for the swap. I was going to make adjustable pan hard and torque bars. I have everything to do so and nothing seems to go right. I guess thats what I get for trying to work on "Friday the Full Moon 13th".

Any ways, I did manage to mangle together some torque rods.

But on the way in today to finish up, I decided to swing by the junk yard and see what was going on. And what do I find but this beauty sitting right there in the weeds!

After some inspection, excitement, and negotiating, I wound up leaving with quite the truck load of parts. I paid a bit for the wheels and tires, but the tires were brand new. His guy accidentally separated the tires from the wheels.

But I got the wheels and tires for $250, then I paid $150 for everything else. All in all I think it was a ridiculously good score1 :cool:

-Adjustable Panhard
-Adjustable Torque Arms
-Upper Stress Bar
-Koni Shocks almost brand new
-25mm Front and Rear Sways
-Wheels and Tires

Of course I went straight to the shop and went to town!

I feel very accomplished today.. Cant wait to get this baby back on the road!

Let me know if you need a T5 crossmember. I'm fabbing mine up right now and almost finished. I'll send you a pic soon after its fully welded. You can always use the stock one unless you like what I have in store!

So everything is in my hands to get the swap finished! I had a free night Thursday and figures I would get the DeeWorks kit bolted up. First thing I did was lay everything out to make sure I knew what I was doing.

Sadly, in setting the input/output shaft play, I managed to strip 2 of the 4 bearing retainer holes. Theres a reason the guys at the shop call me Mongo or Magilla. I really do try to be gentle haha. So that whole debacle made the installation a way bigger ordeal than it needed to be!

After tear down, four heli-coils, lots of grease and carb cleaner, and deep creep, I had this.

It wasn't too difficult to install. Just really need to pay attention to how tight your tightening things. Especially when your installing and removing the same bolts over and over again!

That's a hell of a junk yard find. Love your wagon though. It's coming together quite nicely.

Thank you, I can't wait to get it back on the road!!!

Finally got this bracket and was able to get going on this swap!

Went to install the trans over the weekend and found out I had the wrong shifter. New shifter should be here today. I was so excited to use the MGW shifter, but I found a Steeda TriAx shifter for $100

We got the ford pilot bearing and the flywheel installed. Installed the Volvo pilot bearing first not thinking, thankfully remembered before trying to put the trans in!

Also got the Yoshifab adapter and new drive shaft input seal installed.

Make sure you adjust the pressure plate if you have to or else you will be redoing everything again. Granted it was pretty quick and easy to remove it all and reinstall it again since the T5 doesn't weigh anything, but I would rather you not have to do through that!!

Keep up the work.

Make sure you adjust the pressure plate if you have to or else you will be redoing everything again. Granted it was pretty quick and easy to remove it all and reinstall it again since the T5 doesn't weigh anything, but I would rather you not have to do through that!!

Keep up the work.

I plan on shimming the PP before anything else goes in. Need to go pick up some good washers!

Oh and let me get those AREwheels!

:wtf: You crazy man! You can buy the VOXX wheels though! haha

I did get the new shifter in the mail today, so nothing is holding me back now!

Back