• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

b230ft K cam required mods

IWantedAnAE86

Hi guys,
just bought a K cam that came off a 240 recently, I've got a few questions about throwing it into a b230ft. I know I have to get it machined before installing it due to the whole dizzy location issue, but do I need shims to get the cam all set up correctly or can I just toss it in as it is? Also, anyone have a good source on valve springs that can tolerate revving to 7k rpm? Thanks.

Unless said engine has a distributor drive gear on the intermediate shaft, you'll be able to crank it over and move the car around with the starter, but it won't run. A head-mounted distributor compatible cam has more meat on the rear of it to mate with the distributor. One for a block-mounted distributor is too short to engage the key on the shaft.

If you want a K cam for a B230FT, you'll need to go to a Volvo Penta parts dealer and order a Marin cam. Volvo p/n 1316775. That said, if you're clueless enough to think that you can drop a K cam into an engine that came with a T cam without adjusting the valves, you may want to just leave things alone, sell off your Volvo stuff and go get that Corolla that you wanted so badly.

I suppose one could machine an adapter to fit into a socket machined in the end of the cam that the head mounted distributor would engage with. I would probably just go with wasted spark distributorless ignition at that point but if you're going to machine the camshaft it's not a whole lot more work to machine an adapter. You'll definitely need to adjust the shims, the K cam is one of the more (most?) aggressive Volvo cams.

Hi guys,
just bought a K cam that came off a 240 recently, I've got a few questions about throwing it into a b230ft. I know I have to get it machined before installing it due to the whole dizzy location issue, but do I need shims to get the cam all set up correctly or can I just toss it in as it is? Also, anyone have a good source on valve springs that can tolerate revving to 7k rpm? Thanks.

Hey what CAR? Only difference is a slot.
Volvosteelcamcores11.jpg

What car dud the B230Ft come from...

You're going to use the hottest of all the OEM normal aspirated cams in a B230FT????

Yes you will 99% certainly need shims. and 100% you'll need to check

Yes I have a good source of springs good to 7000..

But you have lots to explain first

It'll be going into a '88 740 turbo, the gentleman I bought it off ran it in his '93 b230ft swapped 245, he had relocated the dizzy to get it all running. Also I'm completely aware this is one of the hottest N/A cams and that's exactly why I bought it. If we could all stop being smart asses and actually answer my questions that would be fantastic. Thanks DoucheNozzle for the link, anyone else got sources?

The terms K cam and "hot" don't really go together.

Good luck making power past 5600 rpm with that cam.

How much power you looking for, and what rpm band? But yes, you will probably need shims. I would try mounting it, then start measuring. Aren't the stock clearance around .40mm +-.05mm?

I think both of your answers are above, Yes you need to shim, yes they make heavier springs.

Am I missing something or did you have a third question?

No, it's just some of the posts on here were completely unnecessary and a waste of time. If you don't want to help, then shut up and move along, no need to add a pointless post making yourself look like an asshat.

I do however really appreciate everyone that's getting straight to the point and trying to aid me in this modification, like John V, outside agitator and doucheNozzle.

Again people being smart asses, is it so much ask for answers to my questions without snobbery?

It's not snobbery as much as it's:

-Your questions have been answered
-Your questions don't really correlate to any basis in reality
-Based on your questions, you don't know much

How much power you looking for, and what rpm band? But yes, you will probably need shims. I would try mounting it, then start measuring. Aren't the stock clearance around .40mm +-.05mm?

Looking to reach into the 300whp range, will be going with a 19t when I have time to pull one. Anyone know what shim size to throw in? I don't mind buying buying all 8 shims new and replacing the old ones.

It's not snobbery as much as it's:

-Your questions have been answered
-Your questions don't really correlate to any basis in reality
-Based on your questions, you don't know much

Actually, I'd say it's snobbery since you're giving me lip about something I didn't ask you about. I didn't ask you if I'm going to make power at 5600 rpm, I asked how do I get the cam in and running right. Also, my questions don't correlate to any basis in reality? What is that even supposed to mean? A b230ft running a K cam isn't a real thing? There are plenty of examples of that on YouTube alone, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Also, yes, you're correct, I don't know much about Volvos. I'm an import guy, and I just recently found out about all the interchangeable parts amongst the Volvo fleet that allow you to build a great car for a great price. So shoot me for trying to learn, and people like you don't make it any easier.

Not trying to be 'snobby' or whatever but what I think everyone is eluding to is the fact that they have all spent countless hours researching their own issues before pursing them instead of just asking questions in the forum? For an easier way to search keywords throughout a website/forum, use this formula in google; 'KEYWORDS site: WEBSITE.COM' Example: (strut mount install site: turbobricks.com) *a better way than most forum searches! ;) And to add to your issue, You will need to rent a 'shim kit' from IPDUSA.com. They will explain to you how it works, basically you leave a deposit and pay for the shims you use after you send the kit back. Good luck with everything! :cool:

Last edited:
Looking to reach into the 300whp range, will be going with a 19t when I have time to pull one. Anyone know what shim size to throw in? I don't mind buying buying all 8 shims new and replacing the old ones.

See post #2.

If you're this inexperienced then you really have no business talking about 19t's and "300whp range".

Highly suggest you learn to walk before you try to fly.

No offense.

Not trying to be 'snobby' or whatever but what I think everyone is eluding to is the fact that they have all spent countless hours researching their own issues before pursing them instead of just asking questions in the forum? For an easier way to search keywords throughout a website/forum, use this formula in google; 'KEYWORDS site: WEBSITE.COM' Example: (strut mount install site: turbobricks.com) *a better way than most forum searches! ;) And to add to your issue, You will need to rent a 'shim kit' from IPDUSA.com. They will explain to you how it works, basically you leave a deposit and pay for the shims you use after you send the kit back. Good luck with everything! :cool:

Thanks, but believe me I did research this for quiet some time. I just wanted some confirmation and help before I decided to pull the trigger and slap this thing in.

Back