• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New Skandix Crankcase Breather, new oil leaks

volvofan1990

So instead of cleaning the old orig volvo box, I thought I would just go and buy a new box instead. I bought and installed the Skandix, and now my leaks are worse than before... I went ahead and cleaned the frame trap, and I also cleared all the PCV tubing of buildup prior to installation of the Skandix. Now, after installation, the oil filler cap neck clearly looks like it is sweaty from the crankcase pressure with the new box. Oil looks to be seeping out from where the breather box is sitting on the block.

Looks like I wasted 40 bucks on the Skandix, I learned my lesson to just go OEM for stuff like this...

Has anyone here had similar experience with shoddy aftermarket parts from Skandix? I thought they were a decent brand, unless something is going way over my head here.

scantech.jpg

I've received quality parts from SKANDIX recently; I wouldn't be fooled into thinking everything they sell is junk.

NA car or Turbo? If you had no leaks before under the breather, did you install a new O-ring? Damage the top of the submersed return plastic/rubber tube? You also can replace the flat gasket under the oil cap and that typically stops the leakage at that point.

This being TB, you will get a fair amount of replies that SKANDIX is junk, trash, garbage..... they all repeat everything they read here. I love the OEM stuff, but when it dries up aftermarket is all that will remain.

Skandix is a parts company. Scantech is a part manufacturer. When I bought stuff from Skandix it was good stuff usually genuine volvo or gcp sourced.

The usual culprit in my experience is that damn hose under the breather box. It clogs and you usually have to add some other crankcase ventilation or try to clean that hose out. I added pcv venting using a B18 oil cap and it took care of my issues. Not the prettiest solution but it works great.

I made the mistake of going aftermarket for a breather box. Once. Started leaking after 2 months. Bought an OEM one, still on the car, dry.

As Dave mentioned, it's not Skandix's fault, but rather the company that makes they parts they sell. I've got some corner lights on my car now, from them, made by Depo that are absolute junk, don't fit right whatsoever. Had the same experience with certain brands from any supplier, online or local, so it's more an issue of knowing what brands to trust, not so much the places you buy from.

On the aftermarket breather boxes. They usually aren't plastic welded together well enough. I used an old soldering iron with a tip I didn't care about to melt the seam together. That is the only aftermarket one I've used that didn't split open on the top cover seam.

Same here. Don't mess around with aftermarket crap on something that's a bear to swap out. The OE ones last decades.

Yep, I made the same mistake years back. Had a lot of fun trying to JB weld it back together somewhere between Austin and SA.

Got my old one out of the junk pile, cleaned it out the best I could and problem was solved lol

Back