• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 A/C and power steering belt removal?!

HellFound

I can't find one single thread/video/diagram on how to install the AC/power steering belt. I know there is supposedly a hidden 13mm bolt. But I can't find it anywhere. Can somebody post a picture or something? Driving me crazy. Thanks!

2011-05010.jpg

They're facing each other on the inside of the tensioner assembly in that picture, as far as I know. Loosen those two and then use the 10mm to tension/relieve tension the assembly.

They're facing each other on the inside of the tensioner assembly in that picture, as far as I know. Loosen those two and then use the 10mm to tension/relieve tension the assembly.

From what I've been reading, everyone is saying you have to get it from underneath and take the belly pan off etc. which I did, just nothing back there is a 13mm.. Only 15mm

It's right under the main bracket's 'roof', on the slide bracket just to the left of the red duct tape 'cap' in the picture.

I get it with a stubby 3/8" ratchet and short 13mm socket from above.

Look in there with a light and feel around in there, you'll find it.

If you look at the tensioner on the front side that you most likely already loosened...look directly behind there for the other tensioner (minus adjusting bolt) and loosen that 13mm nut found in between the front and rear bracket.

I find it's easiest to do from above the engine, standing by the drivers side fender, with a retching wrench.

If you look at the tensioner on the front side that you most likely already loosened...look directly behind there for the other tensioner (minus adjusting bolt) and loosen that 13mm nut found in between the front and rear bracket.

I find it's easiest to do from above the engine, standing by the drivers side fender, with a retching wrench.

You're awesome. Thanks man! Finally loose. Still can't get the belt on by myself though. You have a tip for that? Seems a little tooo tight with the belt

You're awesome. Thanks man! Finally loose. Still can't get the belt on by myself though. You have a tip for that? Seems a little tooo tight with the belt

See if you can loosen pump more. Or put on like a bike chain. Put belt Part way around HB and fully around the ac, and spin till belt is fully caught. You will have to remove these two belts again if you do the alternator separately. Are you doing all at once?

See if you can loosen pump more. Or put on like a bike chain. Put belt Part way around HB and fully around the ac, and spin till belt is fully caught. You will have to remove these two belts again if you do the alternator separately. Are you doing all at once?

I'm just doing the ac to crank pully

Still can't force the belt on. The Bracket is as loose as it will go. Stumped :/

Have you offered a Colorado TB member beer yet for a little help...? Also do loosen the PS pump if you haven't yet. Some pics to show where you are at or maybe the steps you've taken so far would help us out a bit.

I knew I wasn't that stupid... Im usually pretty damn good with mechanical and autos so I knew something was wrong. The lady at the parts shop gave me the wrong belt. Once I found out, I went back and got the RIGHT one and it went on with the flick of my wrist. Power steering works great too! Was kind of nervous about that. Thank you everyone for the help! Seriously appreciate it. If any of you cruise through Colorado, shoot me a message and a drinks on me!

I knew I wasn't that stupid... Im usually pretty damn good with mechanical and autos so I knew something was wrong. The lady at the parts shop gave me the wrong belt. Once I found out, I went back and got the RIGHT one and it went on with the flick of my wrist. Power steering works great too! Was kind of nervous about that. Thank you everyone for the help! Seriously appreciate it. If any of you cruise through Colorado, shoot me a message and a drinks on me!

Contitech belts from eeuro are only a few bucks. Check that out for next belts. :)

fast forward to Julu 2017

I was going to duck into the garage and replace the damper to AC belt on the 92 b230f and thought that I would take a quick look in the forum first. Came across this thread and thought now just how could you possibly try and install the wrong belt. (Striking myself in the forehead) I found myself having this exact same issue. The clerk looked up the wrong belt and all I had done was watch that he put the correct year, make and model into the system to find the belt. Went back and got the slightly longer AC only belt and it worked like a charm. The photos and explanations in this thread probably save me a lot of time and frustrations.

OBTW - I just used the other belt on the AC to power steering so now I have two new on that side of the engine at least.

Live and Learn. ;-)

That makes three of us digging around the power steering/AC area today. Pulled the later model power steering pump off my parts car to put on my wagon tomorrow. The pic of the bracket and AC sure helps to understand how everything tensions.

Back