• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Tuning for RWD Me7 RN Whiteblock swaps?

Also look up Hussein's (lookforjoe) build thread. He built an insane V70XC that is running VEMS last I checked. I know he's a member here, but his long thread is on volvospeed.

I never bothered implementing the VEMS (after doing all the wiring & building the VEMs ECU), in part because I have been able to self-tune (with software help) M4.4 with TunerPro. Since I'm already around 500AWHP, I really don't see the need to go standalone & have to deal with all the DD tuning & OBDII State Inspection issues that would arise.

If you part out the R, I would be possibly be interested in the bumpers covers, my V70 is the same color, and I always need more covers to hack up :oogle:

IMG_0651.jpg

Looks like your 142 / white block will be a really fun conversion project.

Oh. I haven't read through your thread in quite some time, so I remembered incorrectly. But I did remember the important part: 500 AWHP :lol:

The problem I see by putting a bus networked system into such an old car, is the added hassle of systems you don't need causing problems. Troubleshooting and diagnosing major swaps like this is hard enough when the wiring is simple. Bork up one splice and you could be chasing no-start problems indefinitely. Never mind simply storing and mounting the modules. Even worse, taping the key under the dash to the antenna ring basically means you went to the trouble of installing anti theft only to permanently defeat it.

I plan to use a 98 non immobilizer, non networked wiring harness for my swap, because I can strip wires and modules out of it with no ill effects. But if I weren't doing that, I'd dive in to standalone in a heartbeat. And I may still do standalone in the future, it's only getting easier and more reliable with better documentation.

The problem I see by putting a bus networked system into such an old car, is the added hassle of systems you don't need causing problems. Troubleshooting and diagnosing major swaps like this is hard enough when the wiring is simple. Bork up one splice and you could be chasing no-start problems indefinitely. Never mind simply storing and mounting the modules. Even worse, taping the key under the dash to the antenna ring basically means you went to the trouble of installing anti theft only to permanently defeat it.

I plan to use a 98 non immobilizer, non networked wiring harness for my swap, because I can strip wires and modules out of it with no ill effects. But if I weren't doing that, I'd dive in to standalone in a heartbeat. And I may still do standalone in the future, it's only getting easier and more reliable with better documentation.

I still have a lot of reading to do on the MS and VEMS standalone, but at this point that's where I am leaning towards. The price difference is not that great considering the price difference between a flash and getting started with an standalone.

Since I'm already around 500AWHP, I really don't see the need to go standalone & have to deal with all the DD tuning & OBDII State Inspection issues that would arise.

If you part out the R, I would be possibly be interested in the bumpers covers, my V70 is the same color, and I always need more covers to hack up :oogle:

Looks like your 142 / white block will be a really fun conversion project.

I can understand that, It will be nice for me not having to worry about emissions and all that stuff related with swapping into a car younger then 25 years. As far as the bumper, it was originally white from the scrap yard and then I had it paint matched with the Volvo paint... Single Stage. I imagine shipping is ridiculous so I wouldn't charge much.. As far as the swap, I'm really excited, I just got the car this week and today was the only day I had a little bit of free time to check things out on it, very excited to get started.

I can understand that, It will be nice for me not having to worry about emissions and all that stuff related with swapping into a car younger then 25 years. As far as the bumper, it was originally white from the scrap yard and then I had it paint matched with the Volvo paint... Single Stage. I imagine shipping is ridiculous so I wouldn't charge much.. As far as the swap, I'm really excited, I just got the car this week and today was the only day I had a little bit of free time to check things out on it, very excited to get started.

Sent you a PM on the covers.

Definitely easier IMO to use a complete stock EMS. 1998 M4.4 is integrated fuel/ign, without any of the CAN-BUS crap on later than 98 models.

I still have a lot of reading to do on the MS and VEMS standalone, but at this point that's where I am leaning towards. The price difference is not that great considering the price difference between a flash and getting started with an standalone.

Lots of good points. Honestly, if you want OEM I'd consider ME4.3/4.4 not ME7. 7 is just levels of complexity you don't need to bother with.

Switching to Me4.4 would be not fun, ARD also said they can tune the Me7 for non Volvo transmission swaps and he is currently working on an immobilizer delete but time will tell. As of now, going to go ahead optimize the me7 for the swap and get the ecu flashed. Worst comes to worse and can't get things working properly I'll go to standalone.

Wow! I was searching for ETM stuff and came across my old thread! I ended up doing this swap with ZERO TUNING!!!! Chassis Swapped it, AWD.

Back