• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Heater Hose Removal

Cameroni & Cheese

I have a small coolant leak in my '91 240. I found out the source of the leak is the lower heater hose that comes out of the firewall and connects to a red pipe that leads to the water pump. Now I'm kinda stumped on how to go about removing this hose. I looked at where it goes into the firewall, but I've never worked on this before, so I don't know where it goes until it hits the heater core, so I'm afraid I'll pull it off and have coolant get all inside the car. So now I'm currently trying to pull the hose off the red pipe, but this connection is right behind the block, and I had a tough time taking the hose clamp off, now I can't get the hose itself off, its just in such an tight place. I'd cut it off, but i want to try and patch the hole before I have to buy a new hose, (Yes I know this is kinda irresponsible and I should replace it, but I don't have a lot of money to buy a new part, so ?\_(ツ)_/?. ) So if anyone can give me some pointers on how to pull the hose off the red pipe, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cut the hose with a razor blade/exacto instead of trying to pull it off. I believe generic parts store (5/8?) hose worked for me, at least for the lower one.

But what about where the hose is at the firewall? Does it go through the firewall or does it connect onto a fitting attached to the firewall? I really don't want to have to get under and or tear out my dash to fix this hose if I don't have too.

It should be attached to a fitting at the firewall, as was stated. And yes, CAREFULLY cut the hoe after removing the clamp. Your aim here is not to exert too much force on the tender bits the hose is attached to.:nod::omg:

Never touched a '91 but here is how Volvo connected through the firewall for many years prior.

251Heaterhoseconnections.jpg

Not sure how you 'repair' a leaking hose. The 5/8" heater hose might be $3 a foot at your local AP store.

The hoses in the engine bay are moulded hoses. You will likely need to buy them from ipd or someone similar unless your local Napa parts guy is exceptionally good at his job. Be sure to give them a good coating of syl-glyde before reassembly.

Are you suggesting use Sly-glyde as a lubricant to allow the hose to slide onto the fitting?

Me, I use saliva for that purpose: it dries up and disappears after the install, unlike Syl-glyde.

Last edited:
https://goo.gl/images/ZDLGsC

Snap on hose removal tool. It's what I use. Auto store should have a cheap one in stock.

There is another type without the sharp tip so it doesn't tear thru on accident.

If you pull too hard you may end up having to pull the dash and do a heater core. Don't screw it up!

Before resorting to a hook tool, try pushing the hose on to the barb and twisting at the same time.

Or grab it with pliers and carefully twist and it might crack free. Or I agree that if the hose is being replaced to razor blade it off.

There are also hose gripper pliers. https://goo.gl/images/aMtyNj

but always be careful tugging on heater core components.

Huge screw driver to make it move, apply at the end of hose carefully.
Replace both heater hoses to genuine Volvo molded ones. New clamps are the must.
Start from one that goes to manifold.
Remove throttle body and plastic tube going to it, and pcv hoses.
Sell me straight round Virgos for some lovin.
P.S. replaced mine as preventive maintance 2 weeks ago, saves your head gasket if you done it the last 10 years.

I bought the aftermarket from IPD. The rubber is of pretty good quality and they get sprayed with any oil leaks off the top in that location anyway, so I'd rather ruin cheap rubber.

Note that if you have original hoses in that position, one of the replacement hoses may appear to be a different shape. It's actually an improvement as my original rubbed against the dipstick and the replacement does not.

Are you suggesting use Sly-glyde as a lubricant to allow the hose to slide onto the fitting?

Me, I use saliva for that purpose: it dries up and disappears after the install, unlike Syl-glyde.

Been using Syl-glyde for years and very happy. Prevents the hoses from sticking too hard on the nipples next time I have to remove it for whatever reason.

I have both the hose gripper and hook tools for hose removal. The tools are pretty cheap and last forever. Makes removal simple and frustration free. I've f*ked around for a 1/2 hour with a screwdriver in the past for what takes 30 seconds with those tools.

I use spray lube. Or even grease sometimes. Or spit I guess works too. Oil from the cap or whatever is in reach!

I use spray lube. Or even grease sometimes. Or spit I guess works too. Oil from the cap or whatever is in reach!

Yessir. But, I like Silicone Spray. For removal too...

Use the hook, lift the hose, spray and let it soak. Grab with adjustable pliers and turn. Profit.

Back