• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking to make your car turbocharged? READ FIRST

Have you done all the maintenance to bring the engine up to normal operation? Compression test? Horsepower freak show would require forged internals, and quite a few other parts. 250 to 300 is easily attainable on a budget once maintenance is done. 90+ manifold, bigger injectors, bigger Volvo turbo (15g or 16t), and a chipped ecu. That will net close to 300, but again maintenance first above all else. The gremlins tend to rear their heads if not tended to.

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and I'm really wanting to do work on my 98 volvo s70 I wanna start by putting in a turbo with new performance fuel injectors and even an upgraded fuel pump. I need help like bad! Hahah I have no clue where to start! Everything on my s70 is stock!

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and I'm really wanting to do work on my 98 volvo s70 I wanna start by putting in a turbo with new performance fuel injectors and even an upgraded fuel pump. I need help like bad! Hahah I have no clue where to start! Everything on my s70 is stock!

Classifieds>sell your car>buy a S70 T5

You need to read more and do more research....

Why "performance injectors"? The stock turbo injectors work fine....

Why an upgraded fuel pump? Have you run the part numbers to see if an n/a and a turbo run the same pump?

Hi, What is the horse power expected when you install "+t" on a NA B230F using all stock turbo parts and ecu from a 91 740 Turbo Intercooled which is factory rated at 168 HP?

Thanks

Hi, What is the horse power expected when you install "+t" on a NA B230F using all stock turbo parts and ecu from a 91 740 Turbo Intercooled which is factory rated at 168 HP?

Thanks

I would think that is all depending on if you have done a 'Stage 0' on the project car. It's fair to assume that some may think when you do the conversion you could be putting out close to that 168hp, but your car may but putting out much less than stock due to its age. I think whilst everyone has different opinions and methods to go about doing a +T, we can all agree on the fact that each project is different and can result in a wide range of results. Best to probably first give us a run down on what you have currently done to your project car to give the guys a better idea of where you stand with possible power outcomes.

Even better, if you start a new thread dedicated to your own project (with pictures if you have them are always welcome) you will find the people here are very helpful and friendly and the replies will be more direct. All the best and keep us up to date about your project

My question sounds like something that's been chewed over and over so I wouldn't open a new thread, but instead ask here, since I really couldn't find it via search.
If it hasn't been answered yet, perhaps it could be split into a new thread...

Anyway, here it goes...

I'd turbocharge an '89 B234F. Is it a good idea? I'd go with 16v block because of, IMHO, better oil pump and less rattle with timing belt.
But, doesn't the '89 have 9mm con-rods and no squirters. Or?

If not, I'd put 13mm rods and squirters.

But, how much power/boost would stock pistons hold?

What about lowering compression? Greenbooks say pistons are only 0.2mm lower than B204FT units, so I guess that's not where they got it there... Is it combustion chamber? Can it be milled? Or should I find a B204FT head?

What about cams? Are NA cams good for anything, if adjusted for less overlap?

Thanks.....

photo-1.png

Horray! serious question tho, how much boost, right now im at 6psi turbo ecu inter cooler and exhaust.

I really like that you matched your valve cover to your wd can:nod:

Edit-crap. Realized this was a year old question, but it got answered!

My question sounds like something that's been chewed over and over so I wouldn't open a new thread, but instead ask here, since I really couldn't find it via search.
If it hasn't been answered yet, perhaps it could be split into a new thread...

Anyway, here it goes...

I'd turbocharge an '89 B234F. Is it a good idea? I'd go with 16v block because of, IMHO, better oil pump and less rattle with timing belt.
But, doesn't the '89 have 9mm con-rods and no squirters. Or?

If not, I'd put 13mm rods and squirters.

But, how much power/boost would stock pistons hold?

What about lowering compression? Greenbooks say pistons are only 0.2mm lower than B204FT units, so I guess that's not where they got it there... Is it combustion chamber? Can it be milled? Or should I find a B204FT head?

What about cams? Are NA cams good for anything, if adjusted for less overlap?

Thanks.....

I have assembled about 4 or 5 B234F+T's. They all ran very well on LH2.4. The powerband was very high so it was mostly for screaming down the freeway. I was just a little slower than STI's and EVO's, but faster than say Mustangs. at the 8th mile drag strip I went just about the same speed as 8v stuff I have built, but that being said, it was just a greentop injector B234F+T at 10 psi. I don't like breaking my stuff, so I set realistic goals and I achieve them.

picture.php

picture.php

16vt 2010 album link:

http://s796.photobucket.com/user/ZVOLV/library/16v Turbo 2010?sort=3&page=1

I have a question, I'm looking to buy a 240 , swap a 740 turbo engine, now for when it comes to tuning, I'm planning on swapping the turbo and cooling system , what would I need to get in addition so I could bring it to a tuner and get a proper tune, do I need a piggy back system for my ecu with new sensors?

how much power do they make after you convert them? Is it worth all the trouble to turbo the stock motor for the power levels?

how much power do they make after you convert them? Is it worth all the trouble to turbo the stock motor for the power levels?

Figure 7 to 10 hp per positive PSI boost. (stock is 7ish, easy to go to 10ish)

Go find a stock 740 or 940 turbo. A conversion will be very similar with the +T being possibly a little more responsive off the line due to the slightly higher compression.

If you spend 20 minutes going thru the builds you'll find that there are a lot of conversions from n/a to turbo, so I'd say yes it is worth it. Some people keep them at stock levels, others go for bigger boost numbers and others just toss it all and go the V8 route.

Define worth? People spend hundreds of dollars and time on upgrades that might only net 10hp. Each person is different on how they value their time and money.

Hi Guys
I have seen a lot of posts on this message , I am looking to do the somewhat the same thing , just build a B230F with a B234F head and Pistons @10/1.
All stock ! ,
Now I want to turbo it at max 10Psi and have bought the Chinese front mount turbo exhaust manifold, my question is what kind off turbo or which turbo should I use to get a powerband from 2000 rpm and on
I am not looking for max power , 200-250 bhp is just fine for me .
I am using stock LH2,4 and EZK with bushka WS bord , all other parts are stock !!
Anyone up for the challenge , I cannot images someone hasn't tried this before

Hi Guys
I have seen a lot of posts on this message , I am looking to do the somewhat the same thing , just build a B230F with a B234F head and Pistons @10/1.
All stock ! ,
Now I want to turbo it at max 10Psi and have bought the Chinese front mount turbo exhaust manifold, my question is what kind off turbo or which turbo should I use to get a powerband from 2000 rpm and on
I am not looking for max power , 200-250 bhp is just fine for me .
I am using stock LH2,4 and EZK with bushka WS bord , all other parts are stock !!
Anyone up for the challenge , I cannot images someone hasn't tried this before

A volvo/mitsu 15g or 16t should be sufficient. Since you have (i'm guessing) a t3 flanged manifold, a small Garrett t3 would do also, your spool may not be that low, but it should be pretty close

It's it possible to get a turbo to run at like 6 or 7 psi with no computer work? It'd be on a b230f from a 1991 740 wagon

Is swapping the ECU just a matter of unplugging the old one and plugging in the new one? Or is there more to it then that?

Last edited:
Back