• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Guessing Game: Dyno Time

roflcopter

Alright guys, I'm just trying to start a bit of discussion here... Yes I know it's been gone over before but there's always a lot of if's and not a lot of real data behind it...

I have my 245 B230F+T build coming to a completion(at least for it's current form) and finally got it on the dyno this past weekend.

14700816_1812487062325392_5739751329150584946_o.jpg

The numbers I got are useless though since the AW70 decided to give up the ghost a few days prior and I couldn't get a 3rd gear pull without it slipping once I got onto boost. The number we saw before it dropped off due to slippage was 189hp(at about 4-5psi) but who knows how realistic that number is...

I have an AW71 on the way but I figured it'd be fun to talk about how much power everybody thinks it'll put down once that goes in.

K-block B230F
9.8:1 NA Pistons
13MM rods
T04E 50 Trim with .68 turbine housing
3" open downpipe
Giant Intercooler
685cc Injectors
Megasquirt

Currently running 21psi.

Thoughts?

My compression ratio is 9.8:1. Since this is K-block without squirters, etc I am not super worried about blowing this motor up... I figured I'd see how far it can be pushed.

At 21psi I do not seem to be having any issues other than with the transmission, I plan on upping it a bit more. Does anyone have any good numbers for dynamic compression calculations on these motors? I hadn't found any but it would be interesting to see what kind of cylinder pressures I should be running.

And most Important question.... What kind of dyno? Mustang vs dynojet might show 20-30whp difference. At the numbers you are at.

Just because of the M cam I will say 270whp / 325trq, who knows how hard you are pushing the timing map but you are running Semi proper sized turbo moving more air at higher psi. The 90+ and M cam will be holding you back the most.

And most Important question.... What kind of dyno? Mustang vs dynojet might show 20-30whp difference. At the numbers you are at.

Just because of the M cam I will say 270whp / 325trq, who knows how hard you are pushing the timing map but you are running Semi proper sized turbo moving more air at higher psi. The 90+ and M cam will be holding you back the most.

It was on a Dynocom this last time, will probably be on a Dynojet next time.

If I can get in the 270-275whp range at that boost level I'll be pretty happy. I'm not running much timing up top yet(9-10* btdc at 21psi) since I haven't had proper dyno time to really dig into tuning it properly. The turbo should be properly sized for making 340ish at the wheels once I crank the boost up, definitely won't be the bottleneck unless I went over 30psi.

The 90+ is actually ported pretty well, we hogged it out and refaced the flange on my buddy's mill and got everything lined up for the t3.

How much of a difference am I going to find if I go to a different cam? I've been considering it but haven't done it due to trying to sort everything else out still.

Cam should be 20-30whp depending on boost and what setup you have before and after. Going from a non turbo cam to one with more lift that is setup to work properly with boost you can net good gains.

When I ditched my 90+ for a poorly made header with a real collector I gained 30whp.

Holy crap... those are some mad gainz.

I'll definitely look into those options down the road, currently if I can make in the neighborhood of 320whp with just a bit more boost I'll be happy. The bottom end and trans probably won't be able to take much more than that anyways.

Holy crap... those are some mad gainz.

I'll definitely look into those options down the road, currently if I can make in the neighborhood of 320whp with just a bit more boost I'll be happy. The bottom end and trans probably won't be able to take much more than that anyways.

With your current setup I do not see you being all that close to 320whp even with more boost, @ least as long as the dyno operator isn't messing with the numbers, especially with an auto.

I wasn't thinking about the cam when I made my guesstimate. On a similar turbo I wasn't gaining much more power by cranking up the boost past ~20ish, on a 90+ with a smaller 0.48 hotside. BUT i was on e85 and had an IPD cam in it. 299whp was the most I saw thru the auto at 21, power was dropping off pretty hard in higher rpms.

I wasn't thinking about the cam when I made my guesstimate. On a similar turbo I wasn't gaining much more power by cranking up the boost past ~20ish, on a 90+ with a smaller 0.48 hotside. BUT i was on e85 and had an IPD cam in it. 299whp was the most I saw thru the auto at 21, power was dropping off pretty hard in higher rpms.

Do you have a picture of that dyno graph?

With my holset @ 20psi on LH with the v15t cam (same as ipd) I was still making more power @6300+ rpm when the guy lifted. On that dyno I did 301whp on pump gas.

I'll definitely do some experimenting when I get it back on the rollers and see where exactly the restriction lies... I know the turbo will be fine for more boost than I plan on running, and the intercooler is doing it's job perfectly(haven't seen an IAT over 100*F even at 21psi) so cam/head/manifold are really the only other places.

The guys at Emerald Coast are doing well! Definitely expanding and gaining more of a following, it's cool to see a shop that really is the whole package and a great group of guys.

Back