• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

overheat no low end power

Texas Old Fart

Will cam tolerances and or distributor gear off by a tooth cause engine to run hot?
I have b230 NA with Turbo cam. 10 thou clearance on lifters. The heat gauge does not go above 1/3 scale, but an uncomfortable amount of heat is coming of the engine even on the intake side.

Get an actual reading with an IR temp gun. Point it at the coolant hose, not at metal.
160F is cold for an engine but will scald your hand.
In other words, don't go by 'feeling'

The intake manifold has about 1mm of paper gasket insulating it from the head. So yeah that sucker's gonna get hot. Doesn't really tell you whether the engine is overheating or not

If your distributor is off a tooth you would know it.
Edit* there would be a noticable power loss. I haven't seen that cause a major overheat in my experience. Could be two separate issues you re dealing with. Or the fabled overthinking of things. I'd check and or try clocking the distributor again for starters, it's surprisingly easy to get those off a tooth when your not used to them.

Last edited:
over heating and now low end power sounds like excessively retarded ignition timing.

Has the crank pulley slipped causing the timing marks to be off?

I should mention; I just replaced the belt and cam. I was pretty sure after many tries I got the belt aligned on the gears properly. After reassembly, the distributor had to be moved to fully counter clockwise to get the timing to 12 degrees.
Test drive result: poor acceleration, but good mid to high end power, 75 to 80 mph was easy.
However, when I returned to the shop, the had extreme heat coming off the engine. Much hotter than before the mods.
So I'm thinking I must have screwed something up.

Late timing will give you lack of power, and make it run hot, tooth off? on the belt?, Go back to square one, re-ckeck the belt/gears etc. If you had to move the dist that much something is off

Back