• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T5 done, good news and bad

coondog240

Homing Pigeon
Finished the T5 swap tonight. I started w/ a '94 WC gearbox, which has a longer input shaft than earlier ones, so I put a new input shaft in it, turns out this year had reverse syncros.
completerebuilt3.jpg

I purchased my clutch components from John Parker he got me clutchnet's dual diaphram Pressure Plate 100% over stock balanced on to one of his 9lb aluminum flywheels/ with a carbon disc, and a Mcleod long TO bearing w/ fork adapters.
brandname.jpg

aluminumfront.jpg

clutchcoverpressureplatefront.jpg

Everything installed perfectly, I was a little worried that I might have some clutch issues like the pioneers of this swap had. But the bugs have been worked out and the set up I have now works flawlessly. The clutch does its job correctly and noise free.
misc002.jpg

I made the mount that Noah posted a pic of in another thread.
And I had a 1pc. drive shaft made 46 3/8" center to center U-joints, 3" diameter.
Everything works beautifully, no complaints feels like the car came from the factory like that, but I am getting the same decel buzz noise that Dave B. has. And I don't really know why, but I can live with it.
I give this swap an A+.
-Jeremy

Oh, and if you can swing it get the aluminum flywheel it is a drastic improvement over stock.

Last edited:
Coondog, I believe I got one of the first improved clutches that dropped in and worked. Mine was flawless. Every time we do a swap, the closer we get.

Now, I see your tranny sits at a slightly angle just like mine. I wonder if that could be part of the problem w/ the noise? (which btw, we all have). Seems to me, JP could rotate his milling 2-3* on the adapter to help line that up a bit better. Not really a huge issue, the motor mounts are so soft when you bolt it down that it levels out.

Does that have the .8 or .6OD? Over all pretty happy I'd assume!.. right?

yeah I noticed it was on an angle too, I was thinking of elongating the holes for the mount and sliding it over.
This tranny has the .68 5th. And I will be swapping a 4.11 rearend from my Gt into my car soon.

T-5

nice install

t-5 is the way to go.i road in a 92 mustang with a wc t-5 he put in a year ago.sounds just like mine.the sound is not a volvo thing.

tony

As long as it isn't a cruise noise I wouldn't sweat it.

I had a bunch of the early T5s apart for blocker rings in the 80s. The newer ones are great.

reeferman said:
nice install

t-5 is the way to go.i road in a 92 mustang with a wc t-5 he put in a year ago.sounds just like mine.the sound is not a volvo thing.

tony

So you think that it is a T5 noise that is not related to our volvo's, but any car with a T5?

Yeah, I think that buzz is normal. Before I swapped in my ...mustang... I read about auto to manual conversions and they say its normal. Mine certainly is a noisey bugger but my pilot bearing is the cause mostly.

GM Syncromesh "may" quiet it up, but it wasn't designed for it, but some sware by it.

By T5 do you mean the Turbo 5 cylinder ?!?!!?

If yes, in which car is the T5 now ?!

And to reeferman , You swapped a T5 Volvo engine in a Mustang ?! :???:

Any way .. may be i'm totally losted in your stories :lol:

Qc_Drifter said:
By T5 do you mean the Turbo 5 cylinder ?!?!!?

If yes, in which car is the T5 now ?!

And to reeferman , You swapped a T5 Volvo engine in a Mustang ?! :???:

Any way .. may be i'm totally losted in your stories :lol:

Yup, T5 Volvo engine in a Mustang with a Jaguar inboard disc brake rear end setup.

NO! :lol:

if you don't mind, what was your total cost for the swap, and how long did it take to get it all together once you had all your parts ready? I'm thinking WAY ahead here for a car I don't even own yet but it's good info to have :)

Qc_Drifter said:
:roll: Sorry !!! I only asked a question !!

But then what do you mean by T5 ?!

T5 is a Ford 5-speed manual transmission commonly found in Mustangs. It's an extremely strong transmission compared to the Volvo manual transmissions because it was designed to take the torque that a big V8 outputs. From what I've read it's becoming a fairly standard swap for high-power RWD Volvos.

I thought it was the new bi-directional, universal muffler bearing. ;) Sorry couldn't help it. Either way, a search will turn up lots.

Back