• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

VOLVO 940 SW short spr?ngs

I had 40/40 Lesj?fors in my 240 and they were fine, but the rear was sitting a bit lower than I would've liked. As far as I know, Lesj?fors is OEM spring manufacturer for some manufacturers.

In my 940, I am using KAW -50 front / -40 rear springs right now (1250-7900-K) and I am very happy with them. They have different kits available and surely ship to Spain: https://www.fahrwerke.de/springkit/volvo/900-701/kombi-703/

Going with 50/40 is the best choice in my opinion because with 40/40, the rear of the car likes to sit a bit lower than the front which looks weird.
They also include a parts certificate for approval, not sure you need that in Spain but I certainly did in Austria for the yearly inspection.

Last edited:
Hi.
I'm looking to mount short springs on my 940 sw b230fk.
The type of driving is fast street.
Alguein knows something about these spring

thank you very much

and WHEN you lower your 945, be certain to install the BNE quick steer roll correctors.

Lowering effectively destroys the front roll center, and your wagon will handle worse lowered than it did at the OE height. I noticed a world of improvement (restored the original, really) of handling, post QSRC.

I had 40/40 Lesj?fors in my 240 and they were fine, but the rear was sitting a bit lower than I would've liked. As far as I know, Lesj?fors is OEM spring manufacturer for some manufacturers.

In my 940, I am using KAW -50 front / -40 rear springs right now (1250-7900-K) and I am very happy with them. They have different kits available and surely ship to Spain: https://www.fahrwerke.de/springkit/volvo/900-701/kombi-703/

Going with 50/40 is the best choice in my opinion because with 40/40, the rear of the car likes to sit a bit lower than the front which looks weird.
They also include a parts certificate for approval, not sure you need that in Spain but I certainly did in Austria for the yearly inspection.

Sorry for the delay in the response.
I was sleeping here while you wrote.

First, thank you very much for your contribution.

Somewhere I read that Lesj?fors was the manufacturer of the original Volvo springs for the 940s.
There is no doubt that I have read wrong, thank you.
Since then the back part is low, it is not good for my SW, especially if I carry some weight.

In Spain, if the manufacturer's certificate is necessary to be able to approve the car's papers.
so best if you wear it.

It would be too much to ask me to tell you what shock absorbers you have mounted.

I had thought about bilstein B4

Thank you

and WHEN you lower your 945, be certain to install the BNE quick steer roll correctors.

Lowering effectively destroys the front roll center, and your wagon will handle worse lowered than it did at the OE height. I noticed a world of improvement (restored the original, really) of handling, post QSRC.

Thank you for your information.
but with the translator I can not understand what piece you are referring to.
I guess it will be this

6bb7ac93f7c449deede8d4458e965769o.jpg

if it is not this piece ...
I do not know what piece it refers to.
thank you very much for your patience

Sorry for the delay in the response.
I was sleeping here while you wrote.

First, thank you very much for your contribution.

Somewhere I read that Lesj?fors was the manufacturer of the original Volvo springs for the 940s.
There is no doubt that I have read wrong, thank you.
Since then the back part is low, it is not good for my SW, especially if I carry some weight.

In Spain, if the manufacturer's certificate is necessary to be able to approve the car's papers.
so best if you wear it.

It would be too much to ask me to tell you what shock absorbers you have mounted.

I had thought about bilstein B4

Thank you

I did not change the shock absorbers because they were quite new when I installed the springs. I have OEM shocks, which I believe are manufactured by Sachs.

A lot of people are using Bilstein B6 (sport - yellow colour) with lowering springs, but for my daily driving needs they are not necessary. If you are planning on taking your car to a track or are driving "fast street" as you said, it might be benefical for handling. Also depends on the condition of your roads, the B6 are much stiffer than stock shocks, so they are usually a little harsher and "uncomfortable" over bumps etc.

Bilstein B4 are more or less a replacement of the stock shock absorbers as far as I know. I am not sure about this however.

I did not change the shock absorbers because they were quite new when I installed the springs. I have OEM shocks, which I believe are manufactured by Sachs.

A lot of people are using Bilstein B6 (sport - yellow colour) with lowering springs, but for my daily driving needs they are not necessary. If you are planning on taking your car to a track or are driving "fast street" as you said, it might be benefical for handling. Also depends on the condition of your roads, the B6 are much stiffer than stock shocks, so they are usually a little harsher and "uncomfortable" over bumps etc.

Bilstein B4 are more or less a replacement of the stock shock absorbers as far as I know. I am not sure about this however.

Perfect, thank you for your testimony.
In my BMW 318IS I have Bilstein B4.
And for my taste they work well.
I also had a BMW 528i E28 with bilstein B6 and they seemed quite effective but not very comfortable.
Here the roads are usually fine.
There is always some evil.
But as a rule they are fine.
So I'm going to try Bilstein B4.
Because the shock absorbers that the car has been mounted are the original ones and they are already wrong.

Many thanks

Now I want to ask another question, I know that there is adjustable panarth bar, but I do not understand why they are adjustable.
I know you have to see something when you get off the car.
but I've never understood for that.
I've had more volvos.
But I never thought about lowering them of suspension and now these doubts arise to me.

First I will try to change the suspension and depending on how I was driving I had thought about putting the stabilizer bars of IPD.

8ea0ee5ec2b52f644e8e6183f8bcbd80o.jpg

This is my car. A day that enters the JARAMA circuit in Madrid.
a circuit day with the Volvo to see its limits.
And of course. To be the suspension of series went very well.
but the swing towards losing traction

Answering your question about the panhard bar in English might be a little confusing if you can only translate via Google... There's an article in Spanish on Wikipedia on how the panhard bar works: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspensión_Panhard

I am by no means a suspension expert, but what I can tell you is this:
If you are lowering your car, the axle is basically pushed to one side of the car (to the right in case of the 940 I believe). With an adjustable bar, you can correct this.
With 40mm lowering it is not very obvious, but you can tell the difference when you measure the distance from the arches to the wheel on both sides, it will be different.

About the body roll from your photo, like you said there are thicker sway or stabilizer bars available which reduce the amount of body roll. For example from IPD, but they are very expensive in Europe (+500€ for the set): http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...-stabilizer-front-axle-rear-axle-kit/1014397/

The lowering springs alone helped to reduce the body roll also in my case, because they are stiffer and have less travel than stock springs.

Answering your question about the panhard bar in English might be a little confusing if you can only translate via Google... There's an article in Spanish on Wikipedia on how the panhard bar works: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspensión_Panhard

I am by no means a suspension expert, but what I can tell you is this:
If you are lowering your car, the axle is basically pushed to one side of the car (to the right in case of the 940 I believe). With an adjustable bar, you can correct this.
With 40mm lowering it is not very obvious, but you can tell the difference when you measure the distance from the arches to the wheel on both sides, it will be different.

About the body roll from your photo, like you said there are thicker sway or stabilizer bars available which reduce the amount of body roll. For example from IPD, but they are very expensive in Europe (+500? for the set): http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...-stabilizer-front-axle-rear-axle-kit/1014397/

The lowering springs alone helped to reduce the body roll also in my case, because they are stiffer and have less travel than stock springs.

Great information about the panarth bar. Apart from the Wikipedia link, I have understood your explanation perfectly, thank you very much for taking the time.

Regarding the stabilizers, here in Europe if I saw them in SHANDIX, like the link that has been published.
I know that in Europe they are more expensive.
But if I buy them directly from IPD, in the end I get more expensive for taxes and transportation.

First I will try to lower the suspension

And see if it improves.
Then, if necessary, I will later mount the Ipd stabilizers.
If it's not going to be a lot of money at once.
I just hope you understand me using the translator.

Thank you very much for your input

No problem, happy I could help, just like how other people helped me when I started on here. And we can perfectly understand you, no worries.

I agree with you, you don't need to buy everything at once if money is an issue, one step after another. See how you like the springs first and then you can always think about the next steps.

Progressive rate B@G springs are available for 7/9 Wagons- I see them from time to time on e-bay and elsewhere. Here is the factory page for info: http://b-gsuspension.com/product-category/s2-lowering-springs/volvo

Hi.
Sorry.
I have not read your message.
I have searched on ebay and have found for many models.
But not for the Volvo 940.
Surely there are, but I can not find them.
No doubt they must be good springs.
But the problem is that shipping and customs taxes make the article very expensive.
Thank you very much for your contribution

I use Cobra springs. Very happy with them https://papasmith.co.uk/shop/cobra-lowering-springs-volvo-940-940-saloon-cobrals8036c/
In combination with new KYB shock absorbers, camber and caster modification it handles very good.

hola. Vaya, no sabia que cobra fabricar muelles para estos coches. Esto es interesante tambien. lo voy a poner en la lista de deseos. ya tengo tres opciones. pero la de los LESJ?FORS
It does not seem to be the best option according to FA182.
so I have the other two options left.
I do not know how to modify the camber and the caster.
Would you be so kind as to give an apprenticeship course?
Thank you so much everyone.
and sorry for the delay.

Back