• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Parking Brake Cables

15A

World's Oldest Brewery
Anyone know what the difference is between the 91-93 and the 81-90 styles? I understand ABS is on the later ones but not sure how or why that would effects the parking brake cables.

I have a pair of new cables - PN shows them for 91-93 - but the car that needs them is an 88. I dont remember ever having an issue with a difference in brake cables, but part houses show 81-90 and 91-93 as 2 different PNs. Aftermarket listings say 81-93. lol

TIA

Nothing changed in the rear brakes when ABS was added, other than eliminating the proportioning valves. I doubt there is any difference that will prevent them from working on the 88.

Which catalog shows a different part # for '91-'93 240's? The only # I can find in the parts catalog is 1205743 except for 245 hearse/ambulance and 264TE.

The only think you have to watch out for with parking brake cables is whether the cable was manufactured with the square piece on the end so it fits into the brake handle properly. If it doesn't have the oem square part then you need two nuts on the end of the cable to retain it properly. I haven't seen an aftermarket cable yet with the square part and don't know if the Volvo supplied ones have it either anymore. So you may need a couple of nuts.

Back