• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1985 245 Howling & Whistling

Yaboyolin

Like the title says, my 85 wagon is making an absurdly loud howlig and whistling noise from the front end. It's movement related, not connected to the revs. I've ruled out the pilot bearing as well. It makes the same loudness noise and pitch anywhere from 5 to 70+ mph. Once the cars been driven for 10 minutes or so it kinda just stops. It'll do it for let's say 30 seconds and then stop for 10 seconds then pick back up for 3 minutes. Over and over.

I thought it was the front wheel bearings so I replaced all 4 of those and it's still doing it. It also did it with my winter rims and wheels. I've replaced the exhaust manifold gasket as that was leaking but is unrelated.

Like I've said, changing revs doesn't do anything. Clutching doesn't do anything. It doesn't actually change whether I'm going 10 or 50 mph. It's all the same. Any thoughts would be really appreciated, I'm completely lost

Sounds like the driveshaft carrier bearing.

Last time mine went bad, I though the same thing on the wheel bearings. Greased them good, still had the same problem.

The bearing would 'sing' on and off, just like you are describing.

I replaced mine (was in terrible shape) and was back to quiet operation.

^ Yeah. Sounds similar to the noises I had when the carrier bearing went bad on my 245. It was most obvious when driving just after starting the car and off gas in drive.

Thanks everyone for the replies! It's been oddly warm here for the past few days so I haven't been able to hear the noise long enough to check it thoroughly or get a decent video.

This weekend I'm going to check the carrier bearing. My dad did mention the noise sounded "echoey" which would make sense if it's traveling up the transmission tunnel.

The blower motor was replaced two years ago by the PO so I'd doubt that's the case as it works fine and changing the speed doesn't impact the noise. I guess I could block off the interior air intake and see if it stops?

Thanks all for the replies, I'll keep ya'll updated as I check your suggestions.

Just thought I'd update this thread for any future people that have similar issues. It was indeed the driveshaft carrier bearing. I pulled it and it was almost completely seized. By the end of it's life it was making more of a whistle rather than a howl

When the bearing goes bad. It starts spinning with the driveshaft. That means the outer race is spinning in the rubber support. Howling. Good find, glad you got it figured out.

Back