• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My Restoration and Detailing Chemicals

For stage 1 paint/no clear is this the best way to go about cleaning it:

1)Wash/Dry
2)Claybar
3)Compound(ill be using Meguiars UC) Edit: After some research Meguairs #7 instead?
4) Wax???

I do everything by hand;buffers kind of scare me

edit: trial by fire
IrgQ6Cel.jpg

Last edited:
Wheel Restoration

To avoid creating a new thread, I figured I'd post here.

I'm getting ready to completely re-finish a set of BBS RS 740 (BMW Style 42), and would love to hear from folks who have already walked the path of wheel refurb.

Best I can tell from the interwebz treasure trove of information, it seems most folks either use Jasco Premium Paint Stripper, Kleen Strip, or WM Barr Aircraft Paint Remover. Is there any practical difference between these, or any other strippers that have been successful for others here?

GJBP00203_-_JB_Prem_PE_Rmvr_Gal_300_300_80.jpg

7025065-21.jpg

gar343.jpg

I've had the most success with the Aircraft Stripper. Nasty stuff though, no fun to work with. Protect yourself and work outside, it WILL burn your skin. A plastic scraper is good for peeling the clear off.

It's been a while since I've used it, but I seem to remember it being Tal-Strip at the time. I've got a jug of the Klean-Strip version on the shelf but haven't used it.

It's going to be all about the sanding. Any polish you get will only be as good as your time spent sanding. Condition of the lips will determine how rough you need to start and how much work it will take to get things flat. Also you can only get so much of a polish by hand, once you're at the actual polishing stage. A buffing wheel makes a world of difference, and will get you a deeper shine than any hand rub or drill will. Bit of a learning curve but not bad. I paid like $35 for one from HF.

Thank you. That's the one that most folks (online) seem to say is best, with Jasco a close second.

I've heard either is pretty nasty stuff - no touchy the skin.

Once the paint/clearcoat is stripped I'll dive into filing/sanding to see if I will need any filler (and go the paint route on the barrels) or if I think they will be good for polishing. Fingers crossed for polishing :cool:
I'll be painting/clearcoating the centers.

On that note, is Wurth's the best out there? I have seen folks using/recommending DupliColor as well.

Last edited:
SEM Black Paints

Getting ready to do some painting of 240 dash pieces. Will be doing all black and I have always been fond of SEM paints.

My question is for those of you who have chosen either SATIN or FLAT BLACK. I don't want things too shiny of course.

I see SEM offers a few blacks in their Color Coat for Plastic & Vinyl Flexible Coatings. http://www.tcpglobal.com/Automotive-Paint/SEM-Color-Coat-Color-Card-Chart/ I see a Landau Black. Don't know what that is. Maybe it's their flat black, since I don't see a flat black in that product.

Thanks, Dave B

Ok, so it appears Landau Black is not a flat or matte black. Those pics look like it has more gloss than the satin black things I've sprayed. I have found one description saying Landau Black is suitable for vinyl tops.
Dave B

Ok. I decided on SEM Color Coat Satin Black. Looks great.

Dave B.

Attachments

• dash1med.jpg
    dash1med.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 291
What would I use to clean up this unholy mess? All four doors look like this D:

J3MyCXEl.jpg

My neighbor, who used to paint show motorcycles for a living, said there used to be a degreaser/wax remover you could just pour over the paint and it would strip all that stuff clean without damaging the paint at all. I can't seem to find anything that is that easy... a lot of conflicting info. What do you guys use?

What would I use to clean up this unholy mess? All four doors look like this D:

https://i.imgur.com/J3MyCXEl.jpg

My neighbor, who used to paint show motorcycles for a living, said there used to be a degreaser/wax remover you could just pour over the paint and it would strip all that stuff clean without damaging the paint at all. I can't seem to find anything that is that easy... a lot of conflicting info. What do you guys use?
I'm not aware of anything that won't damage the paint and will strip that thick sticky stuff off.
I'd use WD40 and a stiff bush to get most of that off, then Super Clean and a stiff brush with a good water rinse and compressed air blow dry. Don't forget to lube them again after you are done as you will have washed away all the lubricants. Spraying them with WD40 once a day for a week before you actually start trying to clean them will help also.

I'm not aware of anything that won't damage the paint and will strip that thick sticky stuff off.
I'd use WD40 and a stiff bush to get most of that off, then Super Clean and a stiff brush with a good water rinse and compressed air blow dry. Don't forget to lube them again after you are done as you will have washed away all the lubricants. Spraying them with WD40 once a day for a week before you actually start trying to clean them will help also.

Thanks! I'll give that shot!

Anyone know of a good cleaner that can take off caked and baked on brake dust? I mean the kind of stuff that refuses to come off after serious scrubbing with a brush and whatever chemicals are in Meguiar's hot rims wheel cleaner.

Anyone know of a good cleaner that can take off caked and baked on brake dust? I mean the kind of stuff that refuses to come off after serious scrubbing with a brush and whatever chemicals are in Meguiar's hot rims wheel cleaner.
Pic would help in this case.

Sandblaster? :-P

For stage 1 paint/no clear is this the best way to go about cleaning it:

1)Wash/Dry
2)Claybar
3)Compound(ill be using Meguiars UC) Edit: After some research Meguairs #7 instead?
4) Wax???

I do everything by hand;buffers kind of scare me

edit: trial by fire
IrgQ6Cel.jpg

No Need to do it ALL by hand. Salvation awaits at Griot's Garage. Impossible to burn your paint using their products.:)

Back