• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Olga the Second Revised

Update

So, the weather finally got warm enough to be able to work outside, so I took the chance to do some work before the snow rolls back in. Was working on cleaning up the motor from all the oil leaks and replacing the gaskets one by one when my garage neighbor asked why I wasn't just pulling the motor if I had so much on my to-do list.

Me: I don't have a crane to pull the motor.
Him: I do, so now what's your excuse?
Me: ... I need a beer, then I'll be over to get the crane

And so the fun begins...

sdMO4G5.jpg

Nastyness in the engine bay, gotta take car of that before the motor goes back in

irb37UT.jpg

Source of nastyness in the engine bay, gotta take care of that before the motor goes back in

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I pulled the head to see what the past 10+ years have done to it.

lBhG3op.jpg

FkeX3cB.jpg

#4 - Nice grooves man...

puP7mVJ.jpg

#3 - More groovyness

fWZJstc.jpg

#2 - And the song continues

a12zswS.jpg

#1 - Ah sweet! No grooves, just rust....

So it's not what was wrong with cyl#1, but what happened to 2,3 and 4... Guess I'll be needing a new block, since I don't think they'll be gone with the next bore up and already running once overbored.

On a side note, this is why we don't like the stock 16v intake on boosted motors

H36XmgM.jpg

XSXzuAC.jpg

So fortunately I just happen to have a low mileage b230f block laying around the garage. Just needs a light hone and drilling all the oil lines for the turbo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still happy with the exhaust manifold though, held up to a lot of abuse with those ugly welds...

XmzHqhp.jpg

RJxy9zc.jpg

Nvvj9C2.jpg

So now I'm ordering gaskets and such, getting my shopping list together. While the weather's cold again, at least I got part of my project in the garage next to the heater :)

Last edited:
Ask FT-Albert.de for parts... Give him a greet from me ;) Or... No.. dont... Just say to him dass er die Dichtungen nicht knicken soll, damit sie in den umschlag passen ;)

he's the best source for parts in .de

I like the manifold.. What material and dimensions? Selfmade?

Ask FT-Albert.de for parts... Give him a greet from me ;) Or... No.. dont... Just say to him dass er die Dichtungen nicht knicken soll, damit sie in den umschlag passen ;)

Funny you said that, look what recently came in the mail...

FS09oXv.jpg

:pow:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Manfold is self made from mild steel elbows and a sheet of old metal I had laying around the shop back then. Cutting out those flanges with an acetalyne torch then rounding em out with a dremel took a good amount of time...

Last edited:
... Just things which woulndt have wondered me ;)

It's an insider.. To everyone hes a good parts supplier.. Just me he jackasses with crimped gaskets all the time... Because he can... ...prick...

So I had some time to play around with the laser cutter at work to get my header flange dialed in. Although welding a new manifold is not on my immediate list of things to do, I already had the 3D-model and time on my hands. Exporting a DXF and tweaking it to the ports was easy enough.

Laser cutter in action checking the specs on some scrap wood.

dLIVFlX.jpg

More meat around the studs, just cause, and the hypothetical warpage that may occur during welding. :-P
Notice the weight saving slots! :lol:

84xAgzG.jpg

Flange DXF that's floating around the internet for comparison. Decent fit if anyone was curious, just requires some "minor" porting to get it to match the flange.

vckzh2b.jpg

Trial and error for the perfect fit!

a3goOJx.jpg

Last edited:
Small update, small setback

Took a saturday morning cleaning up parts, sorting out stuff. Got the cylinder head looking somewhat spiffy

Dy6Jm4T.jpg

And then noticed a small problem with the valve faces...

Intake

WNKZRpz.jpg

Exhaust

5SMTyyI.jpg

So, new valves all around added to the shopping cart. Starting to think it won't be ready by April :grrr:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But I did recieve some chips from Hi-Tuning (i.e. Fred's chips) in the mail :spin:

Custom 1 is the 16 valve turbo version, custom 2 experiemental secret sauce ;-)

9ikf5jK.jpg

Decided to go this route since the car needs to pass inspection for the import process without any road time, and for my power goals and required reliability as a daily driver I'll be more than satisfied with what LH can offer.

Last edited:
In the past month I've been busy with getting the little ducks in a row to get the motor refurbed. Took the old N/A block I had laying around and drilled the holes for the piston squirters, oil feed line and cleaned it up to send it out to get bored.

Other than that, not much to post what's happened lately. Got the chips installed with the eprom board (not worthy of pictures), cleaned up some wiring in the engine bay, ordered a pile of parts currently laying around in boxes (not worthy of pictures), and got parts cleaned up and sorted for assembly (also not yet worthy of pictures).

Last edited:
Machine shop called, after almost 6 weeks they're still not done boring the cylinders and resurfacing the valve seats. They're going to plane the head as well since they measured it being warped by 2mm :oops: Oh well, higher compression!

But doesn't bother me a bit, work has me tied up pretty well anyway...

On a side note I found some Galaxies and put em on the DD. :-P

PzSSWY7.jpg

Last edited:
Updates! Finally got the head and block all buttoned up, slowing putting it together as I have time... Maybe it'll be together and on the road for the good springtime weather :-)

IadWVaU.jpg

Money shot with forged rods (Pun intended)

P63OAJH.jpg

Thought I had a piston ring compressor, had to order one...

UcJv835.jpg

Oil return with 3/4" NPT threads

5bYQyV2.jpg

This paint is spot on with the stock color, some kind of boat motor stuff. Kinda pricey, but hardened up like a champ!

3pti6De.jpg

Another good find on eBay, 1998 m90 from a crashed car. Just a bummer they cut through all the auxilliaries I still need... Will give it an overhaul during the winter.

FhyLHZg.jpg

Last edited:
Oil squirters from a Smart ForTwo

gD594eO.jpg

FVJDVm3.jpg

Getting there, slowly...
Head shaved, valve seats reground and then reassembled with new valves and ford 4.6L springs.

YiiiRu8.jpg

rFemXEf.jpg

FBlxAkm.jpg

Last edited:
So over the winter haven't had much time to get a lot done, but the motor is finally finished! Today was the first day of nice weather where I could really get some work done. Should have shot some pictures of the motor, but I was busy doing the brakes and didn't think about it. Next time I'm in the shop I'll have to get some. Motor looks great again :cool:

Got new seals for the M90 and cleaned it up.

Replaced some interior parts and the front door panels.

Brakes went pretty well... just had a small problem removing the brake lines. Wanted to do all new lines front and back since they're still the original lines, but I couldn't get em off the rear. Orderd a new flange tool to redo the brakeline ends (after cutting off the old ones) and will get the new ones mounted soon.

Also wanted to replace all the suspension bushings while I'm at it so I went ahead and ordered a set front and rear. Removed the control arms and noticed I had already done that some years ago and forgot... Oh well, it was fun putting them back in with the peace of mind that won't be bothering me anytime soon.

Recently got a sandblaster, so I started refurbishing things. All calipers got new pistons and seals cause the old ones had been sitting so long they had begun to rust.

COSTYmt.jpg

Should have painted them black, the silver paint has already absorbed some grease and won't get clean...

rJPQ9kC.jpg

tahLmpR.jpg

All new rotors, pads, bolts and studs on all corners

302mm discs on the front

Ay8W3DN.jpg

281mm rears

lcFZIii.jpg

Found a second set of Geminis with tires for a steal on eBay, cheaper than buying new tires and mounting them on the black set I have. Europe is great, so many good parts that are otherwise really hard to get in the states.

The white hood is growing on me...

m519k5r.jpg

At some point we had a small impromtu Volvo meet at the garage :)

07uwm0z.jpg

Last edited:
Motor pics

94S3fAq.jpg

4QJ2o6y.jpg

Not much room to spare

ZREMVFv.jpg

EojZprM.jpg

Diesel motor pucks and the earlier style mounts gave me some more much needed room for the turbo oil return. Will also make my life a heck of a lot easier when I swap the turbo later.

Hydro mounts before

GrFEZEv.jpg

Solid mounts after

Z7lUkl8.jpg

Last edited:
^
I still got to make it over to HH and meet up with you guys. Maybe that'll be my first major roadtrip!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I got some Geminis with center caps, gotta make sure they stay on there. So this morning I modelled and 3D printed an 86mm nut to be able to torque em down good.

Little workhorse

eCb40Kk.jpg

FYJRjs3.jpg

Fits just fine!

KUeWwk1.jpg

Last edited:
If you need a gemini tool, wouldn't cost much to ship em overseas I suppose. Easy enough to print, just going to test mine out first and see where I might need to add some reinforcement.

Printed with ABS. Also have nylon, polycarbonate and carbon fiber filament, but ABS should be just fine for what it needs to do.

Back