• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Clutch Slip Or Wheel Spin ?

maxitoman007

car Is an 87 740 turbo. Running an eBay turbo with eBay header, brown tops, eBay intercooler, external wastegate, etc.

Running 21 psi currently

Was pulling in fourth to merge onto the highway and hit boost at 3k. Rpms shot up fast as boost hit but no pull. Didn?t smell clutch but didn?t feel the car hook either. My car is loud so I probably wouldn?t have heard it if the tires were screeching. Didn?t get a chance to see if the speedo shot up with the tach (would indicate wheel spin). Clutch never seems to slip while out of boost and even while doing lower speeds in higher gears (high load) the clutch doesn?t slip. Is it common to break the wheels loose when boost hits at 20psi+? Diff isn?t welded either.

In my experience if you slip the clutch it gets pretty stinky pretty quickly. Might need to get out of the car and check immediately after though. It can clear up pretty fast as well.

Well I'm still getting 2 different opinions here. On one hand, it is still the stock clutch and could very well be slipping, but on the other, I have never once smelt the often described has pungent smell of burning clutch...

I still run an NA clutch and it's pretty obvious when it slips, noise wise. Is the turbo clutch any different? Using the m47 dog dish flywheel & clutch kit

I exceeded the stock clutch at 12-15 psi , Not sure how you can be at 21 and not know its slipping. Mine was very obvious , I stomped on the throttle the rpms shot up and the car didn't go with it. My speedometer stayed the same. I never smelt burning clutch because I didn't burn it I just slipped it. I am sure if I would have held my foot into it I could have burned it but there was no reason to I knew what the issue was.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=337576&highlight=clutchnet

I was headed over to the thread above to update it this morning.

it's easier to slip clutch in higher gears. My car makes 450 whp, and I am on stock steelies with junkyard 195/70/14, and stock diff. I do not spin tires in 4th.

Damn... was hoping it wasn't the clutch. Now the debate begins... clutchnet upgraded clutch or T5. Found a Camaro V8 T5 for sale here in Canada for only 300 canadian dollars, don't know if I have the funds to cover all the adapter plates and other things etc though. Not to mention I'm in a 740 so shifter placement... (although I heard the Camaro box moves it back and has the same input shaft or something as the M46? On the T5 all you need to know thread. Some clarification would be nice). What do you guys think?

Damn I wish you could change thread titles...

Decided to go for the clutch. Went with a clutch net yellow PP and a stock Volvo disc (I think it?s a stock one, part # 1377326) has 4 large springs and then 3 smaller green springs on one side. It is Volvo brand just not sure if it?s meant for turbo or NA.

Yeesh clutchnet yellow...
Should have done yourself a favor and upgraded the tranny because my crystal ball server is seeing broken teeth in the near future...

You'll probably break the tranny if you want to run a 6 puck. I'm not sure of the claims on the yellow pp (probably all over the place) and what the clamping force is, but if it holds a little more than stock, than that's what you want.

Any more than that and you're getting into dangerous territory, risking breaking your transmission, and then you're left without a running car. I don't think a 6 puck is necessary but I got burned with the red pp from clutchnet so maybe it'll make up for the false claims.

Also a 6 puck is not going to drive nicely. My half n half (not the milk) clutch disc from southbend (240mm) is much snappier than a fully organic disc, not the worst, but a full ceramic 6 puck is probably an on/off switch, especially since it's only a 215mm clutch. I can't imagine what it would be like. Someone in the threads about clutches says that those clutch setups are like a 1960s dump truck.

its a 228mm but I see where you're coming from. I'm also wondering what kind of clutch disc I'm actually getting from this guy... it has "volvo" printed on it and 4 big springs but then on one side there's an extra 3 small green springs, any ideas? tried looking up the part no and got very little results.

EDIT: After some extensive research, I've determined that the disc is what comes stock in a D24 turbo. Good news? idk.

Last edited:
Back