• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16T problem screwing to stock exhaust manifold

apollo's 940

1992 940T stock

13c taken out, 16T angled flange coming in

3" dp coming in

stock exhaust 90 + manifold (to be ported(?)) will remain

ON STOCK: the 13c is bolted to the manifold on four studs attached to manifold --- these four studs enter 13c hotside, then are tightened by four nuts on the 13c hotside. simple and accessible

PROBLEM :

the 16T hotside can only accept three studs from the manifold (actually only two but the third threaded hole of the 16T will be bored bigger to accept the third stud.

the problem is the fourth stud of the manifold. there is no way for this fourth stud to be accepted by the 16T hotside and tightened by a nut

the 16T hotside has no through and through hole that the manifold fourth stud can enter

the 16T hotside therefore, itself must hold the stud BUT there is no space to apply the nut behind the manifold

make sense? :-(

QUESTION

forget the fourth stud

can this 16T upgrade survive with ONLY three studs and nuts?

thanks in advance

andrew

<del>Not sure I fully understand what your problem is. Pics will help.

The standard method of bolting up a FWD turbo...
-The 2x studs need to be removed from the 16T turbine housing.
-Then the threaded holes need to be drilled out so that the turbine housing will slide on the 4x studs on the manifold and attach with the same 4x nuts as the 13C.</del>

Edit...looks like others have also had the same issue w/ the angle flange and a 90+ manifold.
https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=154055

Find another angled outlet turbine housing as there are two styles and one of them can allow you to barely get a nut on the back after a little grinding. You can also remove the stud from the 90+ and drill out the hole and put a nut on the 90+ side.

I went down the route of carefully grinding the manifold to fit a nut. Not great but it works.

Any chance to get pics up in the thread? I'm gonna be going down this with my 19T I suspect (angled housing as well)

Right I mean if we use that logic we should all just buy new Ford mustangs.

Alternatively someone could toss a pic or two up if they have them, and everyone can go about their day ruining these cars.

Ref: http://forums.tbforums.com/showpost.php?p=4930719&postcount=32

This user kept the stud on the angled turbine housing and ground away some of the exhaust manifold in order to fit a nut on the manifold side.
0SiWlvil.jpg

Last edited:
Back