• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Remote Filter and Oil Cooler Stuff

dbarton

Dejected by Volvo Corp.
I thought I'd share some of the details of the new remote oil filter and oil cooler parts I'm putting together. I previously had a remote oil filter and cooler setup that had been in my 242 for probably 10 years, but it was made with Summit Racing rubber oil hose and parts using pipe thread nipples and hose clamps. It worked fine until it didn't. The oil hose began to harden and I had been finding leaks due to the clamped connections loosening because of shrinkage. So an upgrade is in order. New hoses and hose fitting are all Aeroquip Socketless (push-on). And all push-on locations will also get Oetiker pinch clamps for added security.

There is something I found with the original B21FT oil cooler sandwich adapter (thermostat housing) that I'm puzzled with. I'll share that first and maybe someone has a better understanding of it.

Here are some pics of the original Volvo adapter. I'll get to the puzzlement in a sec.
edit: the second pic . . . that temp marked on there says 75 degrees.
Dave

Attachments

• B21FTplate1med.jpg
    B21FTplate1med.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 588
  • B21FTplate2med.jpg
    B21FTplate2med.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 579
  • B21FTplate4med.jpg
    B21FTplate4med.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 587
Last edited:
No, it was mounted correctly.

The puzzlement is this:
I tested the thermostat function. When cold, it closes off flow to the oil cooler as expected. But it also closes off all flow to the filter. Looking at the photos below, the bottom pic . . . that hole is closed off until the thermostat get hot. Now I know the Wahler engineers were smart dudes, and it has worked this way for a million Volvos, BUT does it bother anyone else that no oil goes to the filter until it's hot?
Dave

Attachments

• B21FTplate6med.jpg
    B21FTplate6med.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 572
Last edited:
Here's the new spin-on adapter that's going onto the block. Just this. No other sandwich plate. Made by Derale. The threads in the ports are AN -10 0-ring and there are -10 male to -8 male adapters on there.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-35703

Attachments

• Derale-spin-on2.jpg
    Derale-spin-on2.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
Here's the remote filter mount (it goes under the front right corner behind the bumper).

It has a thermostat sandwitch plate I added that controls oil very differently from the Volvo Wahler one. This plate allows flow through the filter when cold, but will not allow flow to the oil cooler until it reaches temperature.
Thermostat was made by Hayden: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-205
Oil filter mount is Permacool #1791: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prm-1791

Attachments

• remotefilter-thermo2med.jpg
    remotefilter-thermo2med.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 571
  • remotefilter-thrmo3med.jpg
    remotefilter-thrmo3med.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 564
Last edited:
I guess they figured with a turbo the oil will get hot quickly so the loss of filtering wouldn't be too long?

Still doesn't seem ok and it would have been easy to just use an inline setup that filters and then goes to a thermostat and oil cooler.

So you're saying that this flow diagram is incorrect? Did you test it with compressed air?

240oilcoolerthermostatlo.jpg

So you're saying that this flow diagram is incorrect? Did you test it with compressed air?

240oilcoolerthermostatlo.jpg

This is really mysterious now. I did that test last night. Yes, with compressed air. No flow to the filter side. Then heated it with a heat gun and it opened.

NOW, I try it today (cold) and it flows like the above diagram when cold. [Twilight Zone music]

So I guess never mind that.

Edit: Maybe this one is sticking. If I were re-using, I think disassembly and inspection/cleaning would be in order.

Dave

Last edited:
Here's another pic. This is the adapter fitting for my RX7 oil cooler. The fitting is 18mm x 1.5 Male to -8 AN Male. And it uses a sealing washer at the oil cooler port.

The sealing washer is not just a normal metal washer. It's an aluminum washer with an embedded o-ring. Never tried these before. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CKVYWD4/
Dave

Attachments

• RX7oilcooler1med.jpg
    RX7oilcooler1med.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 566
No, it was mounted correctly.

The puzzlement is this:
I tested the thermostat function. When cold, it closes off flow to the oil cooler as expected. But it also closes off all flow to the filter. Looking at the photos below, the bottom pic . . . that hole is closed off until the thermostat get hot. Now I know the Wahler engineers were smart dudes, and it has worked this way for a million Volvos, BUT does it bother anyone else that no oil goes to the filter until it's hot?
Dave

It is impossible to bypass the filter. If you block the filter no oil will go into the engine. There is only one entry: into the center of the hollow screw.

I don't understand your idea, sorry

Have a good night, Kay

Here's another pic. This is the adapter fitting for my RX7 oil cooler. The fitting is 18mm x 1.5 Male to -8 AN Male. And it uses a sealing washer at the oil cooler port.

The sealing washer is not just a normal metal washer. It's an aluminum washer with an embedded o-ring. Never tried these before. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CKVYWD4/
Dave

My experience : it won't seal this way. You have to add a washer between the hexagon of the AN and the sealed washer. The surface of the AN isn't large enough

My experience : it won't seal this way. You have to add a washer between the hexagon of the AN and the sealed washer. The surface of the AN isn't large enough

A "Bonded Sealing Washer" (what you ask for when you go into the hydraulic hose shop) should be good for at least 2000 PSI. I use them all the time without any issues.

Stock replacement fuel filters come with bonded seal washers. Also heard them called o-ring washers or lip seal washers. They used them on SAABs since forever.

https://m.eeuroparts.com/Parts/4663/Sealing-Ring-Large-14mm

Thanks for the PNs on the filter adapters. Why not run -10 hose?

I'm going to work on improving that seal on the oil cooler.

-10 vs -8 is just a personal preference mostly, except I've seen issues before with low oil pressure with -10 that didn't occur with -8. But I'm sure now a bunch of you running -10 will say, "I've never had a problem." Come one. Let's have it.
Dave

This reminds me, I bought a used greddy thermostatic remote oil filter with the oil cooler send and return integrated. The bloke I bought it from didn't use an oil cooler so he blocked off the send and return. Problem is though he blocked off the motor side and instead used the cooler send and return for oil lines. There was no way for the oil to go through the filter at all regarding the internal routing. Not sure what happened though - didn't ask. He had rb's.

Anyway, if possible I'd like to see pics of your installation. I was thinking of welding a bracket to the chassis rail between the radiator and alternator and mounting mine there (on a 240). Though I'm still unsure...

That reminds me . . . I've been thinking about that damned Volvo Wahler thermostat sandwich. I had thought for years that the thing must have been stuck open because it would take forever to get the oil up to above 160. 20 minutes of driving. So some time back I installed an inline thermostat (below pic) near the oil cooler. It made a big improvement.

So now I'm thinking that Volvo Wahler thermostat function was working, but maybe getting super-heated by the turbo before the oil could get hot. Maybe that's just a bad place for a thermostat.

I'll be posting pics as I go with this. I ordered some different fittings for the oil cooler, so it's going slow.

The in-line thermostat below is now going away.
Dave

Attachments

• hayden163thermolo.jpg
    hayden163thermolo.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
Come one. Let's have it.

-10AN lines to/from the cooler on the LS3 on mine. Cold start - 65 psig; At 210F oil temp, 35 psig at 675 rpm idle and it goes up from there with rpm. It does take a breath longer for the pressure to register (gauge, light) on a cold start, but then I have the sender mounted in one of the cooler fittings.

Since you asked. ;)

Back