View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Continuing onward with the front suspension upgrades. These cars are notorious for eating front outside shoulder rubber, so Volvo (along with performance enthusiasts....i.e. TB folks), created the CAMBER modification. This pic shows the finished upper strut supports, i.e. the "top hats" as some call them:

[IMG][/IMG]

The writeup I put together along with a detailed pictorial is here:

http://turbobricks.com/forums/showth...ghlight=camber

Once I get the car running, I will put my FASTRAX alignment jig on the car, full loaded at ride height, and confirm what actual camber was achieved. The target was -1.0 degree.....again, we shall see what is achieved, and I can make a final adjustment to try and equalize the camber.

Another 7/9 improvement (if you believe IPD) is the lower chassis brace. Found this one on the west coast, NorCal, and relocated it to Georgia:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This lower brace from IPD is a straight bolt on. You will need to run a tap thru the welded nuts provided by Volvo at the rear stay attachment points (they will be full of rustproofing, or worse), and you also need longer bolts to attach the front two connection points up to the front crossmember. You might notice you don't even see the bolt heads in the picture, as this was a fit check and just located overtop the stock bolts. I used the nickel plated "hardened washers" that you can buy at Lowes...trying to avoid the soft washers which bend under load. The hardened ones just crack into 2 halves and fall out particularly if you OVER tighten them. YMMV. The holes provided by IPD are seriously oversized, and some I believe have made spacers to install (or welded them shut) to get rid of the slop. I'm leaving that task for the future when my Miller welder is up & running .

Last for this round of front suspension. My thanks to Magnum TE for directing me to the 960 front crossmember braces. Toby claims these made more improvement than the IPD lower chassis brace; I won't have any incremental testing to verify that, but the price is right and they are available from your friendly Volvo parts dealer (P/N 9178665 & 9178666, priced at $18.41 each + shipping). Now a couple pics to show these braces installed....the pass. side is a straight bolt on, but on my 92 the drivers side required some grinding to clear the power steering metal lines as they slightly interfered with this brace. They are factory galvanized steel, so should last the life of CheapThrills for sure. Here are the pics:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I've got another rear suspension goodie which I bought from Nathan, but I won't install that guy until after the beast is running and perhaps until my future G80 "poor man's LSD" modification.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746

Last edited by DET17; 05-28-2012 at 11:26 AM..
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote