• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

ls2 d585 coils on ez116k wasted spark

Sorry, I meant that it is ironic to see comments about "Voodo"
information found on the internet, in a forum thread dominated with
speculative posts full of second-hand information about a system
that the poster seems to have no actual experience with.

It's funny.

forum thread dominated with speculative posts full of second-hand information

Problem is in general is that OEMs don't release their tech tidbits.

I can't even find the specs for a stock 240 Bosch coil, although those who make aftermarket coils would know.

I've never explored this coil dwell time concept until this thread. Currently, I feel I have a decent grasp on this topic, but my reasoning got twisted along this path until I could sort the chaff from the wheat. Finding good tech overviews assists greatly, but these articles are few, and many folks can't read/understand the details; but once these are read, then a person can "re-evaluate" and put the puzzle together.

People bad mouth the D585 coil, but had they known about this coil's dwell time concept, they would not have screwed the pooch. Few people have a foothold on dwell time.

If high spark energy is required, the only solution is MSD type systems, which the track/drag folks use.

If one converted to a LS1/LS2 (not LS9), if the coil broke, a replacement would be easy to obtain, and cheap at JY. With Bosch ignition module and coil, if an auto supply has it in stock, they will stick it to you, but most likely, people living in rural areas will have to wait. But, I would like to know the GM facts, and if GM has revised the original coils; slim chance of finding this out, except on maybe a forum or two, where GM reps are around.

Back