• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What metal are Virgo wheels made of?

I got a decently clean set with tires about a week ago for $100, but they do have some caked-on brake dust my dad and I are trying to clean up. We went to O'Reilly Auto Parts to get wheel cleaner and they had different cleaners for different metals. They're made in Germany if that helps.

Last edited:
If they have tires on, get them dismounted, yank the old stems, pull the old weights and have them media blasted. Then you can go about repairing the surface as you see fit and paint/powder coat/polish as you see fit. Gonna have to do that to my Wife's Virgos next winter.

Cast aluminum. Complex shapes like a Virgo wheel would be near impossible to forge. The grain structure when they break tells the story. Very large grains.

Cast aluminum. Complex shapes like a Virgo wheel would be near impossible to forge. The grain structure when they break tells the story. Very large grains.

:nod:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PZaDN2NOER8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

a>

All are cast aluminum. The only way to forge would be simple pancake or complex die (but you'd still have mucho machine work to do). Oh and the cost of forged wheel, like real real high. Also, once the paint is scuffed or eaten by brake dust the aluminum is very happy to corrode (pit).

Would any acidic cleaner work?

Not sure, maybe. Just dilute it a bit. I tried all types of wheel cleaners to remove baked on brake dust and none worked. This stuff did the trick even on the Volvo plastic hub caps. Spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes, scrub lightly with a mild ScotchBrite pad and rinse. Remember to dilute, maybe 1 part cleaner to 3 parts water.
a>

As some other people have mentioned, Detergent 600 (concrete etching acid - active ingredient: muriatic acid) diluted with water works great for cleaning painted wheels caked with brake dust, but will eat bare aluminum and steel given time.

You should be able to find muriatic acid in some form at your local hardware store, often among paint, cleaning, or masonry supplies.

When diluting with water, add the acid to the water, slowly.

Work with gloves and in a very well ventilated area (preferably outdoors).

I mixed the solution in a bucket and applied it to the wheels with a chip brush, being careful not to splash or aerate it.

I fashioned scrapers out of wood to aid in removing the brake dust.

I hope that helps.

Come on, stop pulling OP's leg. Virgos are made of Nitrogen-Carbide fiber, that's why they're black. Best way to clean them is to gently dip them in a bath (old tub works great) of sulphuric acid.

Back