• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1990 245 +t ****s the bed under boost

Coffee

So, i've got a sweet ass +t, 1990 245 with an M47, which has been my reliable daily since 2009. I've got some fun stuff bolted to it, B cam, TLAO chipped ecu/ezk, orange top injectors, MBC set to 9 psi, 2.5" cat-less exhaust, magnaflow muffler, it's great fun. At least it was while it was running normally.

Just recently I was doing a high speed pull on the highway and my car lost all power. I could stand on the throttle and it would occasionally give me small blips of gas, but that's it. I shut it off, started it back up and was able to accelerate back to freeway speed, but if I tried to hop on the throttle it would fall flat on its face again and go straight into "retarded mode" :grrr:

Now it is sitting in my garage, being a rusty sack of ****. I've been pouring through every thread I can find, replacing parts and generally tearing my hair out that nothing seems to be helping.

Here are my symptoms
Terrible idle, car keeps trying to die

Drives fine (as far as I can tell, cant really leave my neighborhood) until I hit boost, chokes in a very hard way around 4000 RPM

Goes into retard mode where idle becomes even more erratic and car will only rev in blips, independent of how much throttle input i give it.

In neutral when revved engine speed will increase incrementally by 1K rpm to 4k, but go no higher. other times it seems to rev freely without hesitation

Parts i've replaced:
crank position sensor
fuel pump (single in tank dw200 with DW relay kit)
IAC
Injectors (one was leaking badly onto my intake manifold)
AMM
spark plug wires
spark plugs

I don't feel like i'm explaining any of this well enough, is there something i'm overlooking? This car just passed emissions the day before all this **** started and i'm getting to the end of my rope here.

Do you have a stock 7/9 pre-turbo intake hose?

Also, put a cat in it, it's selfish not to and not running one really does ****all for improving performance for you. Don't be silly.

Last edited:
No, I have a shortened section of intercooler piping with my amm/cone filter on it, and a forge 007 recirculating back to it.

Last edited:
Have you checked for boost leaks? Torn hose someplace? Done a pressure test?

Do you have pictures of your intake hose between the turbo and AMM? Is this hose sucking shut the first time you get near boost and maybe staying shut?

Have you checked if your FPR has failed and is leaking fuel into the intake (typically this would show up as bog and miss until you get into boost and then it revs fine).

Sure sounds like you have a major boost leak.

Have you checked for boost leaks? Torn hose someplace? Done a pressure test?

Do you have pictures of your intake hose between the turbo and AMM? Is this hose sucking shut the first time you get near boost and maybe staying shut?

Have you checked if your FPR has failed and is leaking fuel into the intake (typically this would show up as bog and miss until you get into boost and then it revs fine).

Sure sounds like you have a major boost leak.

A gigantic sound of rushing air is a pretty obvious sound of a boost leak, OP. But as Mike said, a big ol tear in an intake coupler will also do it.

I have not pressurized the system to check for boost leaks. i did a fairly in depth visual inspection while I was out there earlier with a propane tank seeing if i could alter the idle but, no go. ill snap a picture of this greasy bitch right now.

Sweet chips BTW, best modification I ever did for the car.

If it never gets into boost he might not hear the air rushing, and then again most people do not pay attention to the little noises thier car makes as they might hear something but not really know what it is. I recently had a tear in an IAC hose that would make an odd noise under boost. But a big leak you might not hear.

This is another reason open downpipes suck.

So, i've got a sweet ass +t, 1990 245 with an M47, which has been my reliable daily since 2009. I've got some fun stuff bolted to it, B cam, TLAO chipped ecu/ezk, orange top injectors, MBC set to 9 psi, 2.5" cat-less exhaust, magnaflow muffler, it's great fun. At least it was while it was running normally.

Just recently I was doing a high speed pull on the highway and my car lost all power. I could stand on the throttle and it would occasionally give me small blips of gas, but that's it. I shut it off, started it back up and was able to accelerate back to freeway speed, but if I tried to hop on the throttle it would fall flat on its face again and go straight into "retarded mode" :grrr:

Now it is sitting in my garage, being a rusty sack of ****. I've been pouring through every thread I can find, replacing parts and generally tearing my hair out that nothing seems to be helping.

Here are my symptoms
Terrible idle, car keeps trying to die

Drives fine (as far as I can tell, cant really leave my neighborhood) until I hit boost, chokes in a very hard way around 4000 RPM

Goes into retard mode where idle becomes even more erratic and car will only rev in blips, independent of how much throttle input i give it.

In neutral when revved engine speed will increase incrementally by 1K rpm to 4k, but go no higher. other times it seems to rev freely without hesitation

Parts i've replaced:
crank position sensor
fuel pump (single in tank dw200 with DW relay kit)
IAC
Injectors (one was leaking badly onto my intake manifold)
AMM
spark plug wires
spark plugs

I don't feel like i'm explaining any of this well enough, is there something i'm overlooking? This car just passed emissions the day before all this **** started and i'm getting to the end of my rope here.

Have you cleared up your codes, last time we talked you had a 1-2-3- and a 2-2-4 ...both ECT sensor codes. Also forgot to mention that and thats very important for diagnostics.

Once upon a time, I had the same thing happen to me when I split recirculation valve clean in half.

Yours might just have a torn diaphragm, but if you don't see anything obvious wrong with the rest od the hoses, check that. If you're not sure, just remove it and block the hoses, take it for a light spin and report back.

I agree that no boost is commonly an air leak. Smoke, pressure and soapy water, or pull all hoses and inspect.

You should really get this new labscope plugin for that, it measures air duty cycle and all. Smoke and soap are so last decade and unprofessional.

Back