• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

SquareD's slow and steady 945 tarbo project

Yeah, it was a sharp car. I obviously like how it looked, but it just had too many things to address. At this point in my life, it would have been a while before I had the time and money to put into it; and even after dumping a bunch of time and money into it, it still would have only been worth barely more than I sold it for. The other reason I sold it was because there are at least two cars on my street siting in a garage with crap piled on top of them and haven't moved under their own power in years. I refuse to let that happen to my vehicles. If I'm not driving it and enjoying it, I'm selling it.

Finally got some 960 taillights. Nothing fancy, but it's rounding out slowly but surely. Ordered a custom car cover the other day to keep it all nice and cozy for the winter.

35678833190_9d3d662dc6_b.jpg

Last edited:
Great wagon. I inherited my mom's 945 non-turbo a few years ago for my daughter to drive. It was an Upstate NY car for its entire life. It is quite a pile (especially due to my daughter's use of it as a trash bin), but I really, really like to drive it, worn out shocks and all. Got me hooked on Volvos.

LOL. Oh Volvo, I wish I could quit you.

Rear shocks for the 4Runner: $84 total for the pair, and because they had to be shipped out of CA, they took 3 days instead of the standard "next day if ordered before 1pm".

"940 TURBO" badge for the wagon: $41 total and it'll take 5+ weeks.

:edit: Might as well add a picture. #garagequeen

35260135563_5ac1e4a4e2_z.jpg

Last edited:
36068714075_8db1399d40_z.jpg

850R alcantara headrests... +40aychpees. They look dark in the picture, but they actually match pretty well.

Last edited:
Thanks. I didn't even realize they fit until I noticed that they looked the same as late 940 headrests. They make me want the S90 SE seats that Benjam83 is selling. Between tax returns and selling my triumph, I may be able to make that happen. If they're still available.

Original headliner? If so, that's impressive. Where'd you get the cover? I'm interested in one for my '88.

Looking good as always.

Original headliner? If so, that's impressive. Where'd you get the cover? I'm interested in one for my '88.

Looking good as always.

Thanks! Yeah, original headliner. I don't know if the later 7/9 series cars had the sagging headliner problem like the early ones. I had to replace the headliner in my old '85. This is a non-smoker car, so that obviously helps.

As far as the cover, I got it from Covercraft. I found some corner of their site(s) that listed it as a closeout. It's a $240 cover that I snagged for $80. I can't for the life of me figure out how I got to the page showing it as a closeout. It's actually a Wolf custom cover marketed as a the DUSTOP line. The part number on my shipping invoice is 182-63010, I think it's the same cover for 740/940/960 wagons. Honestly, it's a nice cover, but IMO it isn't $240 nice. Hope that helps.

Yeah, I had to replace the headliner in my '89 and will have to do the same with the '88. My wagon spends most of its time in the garage so having a cover would be nice. Thanks for info. I'll have a look and see if they still have them.

Regarding headliners, 940s don't have the sagging problem like 740's do. iirc 92 740s have the better headliner too.

My project for this weekend. I know it's not elite-level TB ish, but I'm still excited.

36068719225_d6f5b62a7c_z.jpg

Last edited:
Back