• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Project Mj?lnir - Volvo 850 NA - ITB

Next what happened was a bit weird.. :-(

2008 came and 2008 went.. And not much happened with the Mjolnir project or "SDM" as I call it.

Earlier in the year during wintertime the engine had trouble with freezing throttle bodies. Temps below 5 degree caused the throttles to get stuck. Somewhere January I discovered a nail in one of the Cup tires. Since the tire diameter was a bit to high I decided to change tires to Kumho V700 215/45-17 instead of 225/45-17. Somewhere February this was realized and I took the car for a spin on a warmer day.

sdm-kumho3.jpg

Next thing happening I became very occupied with another project, the 850 with the supercharger.

Later that year I decided that if I wanted to have more Q-time with this car a trailer was needed so a trailer was added.

team-sd.jpg

Next winter came early and due to circumstances I managed to get a second hand "shed" to go on a piece of land behind my house so the SDM had to be out placed for nearly 2 months. Still after 2 months the car started without a sigh.

winter1.jpg

At year's end the shed was finished and the SDM could be parked dry together with it's fellow project cars,

shed-2.jpg

2009 started with the promise that SDM had to be put to use. Still because of several reason the last visit to the Ring, not with SDM, was September 2008 and I couldn't find time to visit the Ring again. Also the Ring was closed due to weather conditions on many occasions.

Then came a proposal of one of the Dutch Volvo club member to go drive at a Dutch race track, the TT-Circuit in Assen known for the Moto-GP races. Already having missed so many occasions I committed myself to take the SDM to the track and so it happened that the SDM "PH2" made it's maiden track trip on March 8 2009.

sdm-assen-1.jpg

mURI_temp_3fadaf7d.jpg

080309-3.jpg

080309-5.jpg

It was an awesome experience and the handling of the car was simply amazing.

This time the car was fitted with a second seat for the occasion. Also the gauges were removed and a Displaylink system was put in place to have more access to engine information and warnings.

passenger-seat.jpg

displaylink.jpg

Last edited:
Johann,
what power did you make on the new engine at the wheels? Do you have any dyno plots on the original motor and on the second motor?
Jonathan

My brain doesn't work in WHP.. :-D

I don't care about the dyno stuff that much anymore. Sick and tired of the never ending discussions. The dyno is a tool to set up an engine. Anything WHP related reminds me of Dynojet inertia dyno systems which have proven to be pretty useless for setting up an engine. If you want the engine to perform under load than it needs to be set up under load so a load dyno is the dyno of choice. That's my way of thinking. For me at this moment it is more about feel than about numbers.

Like mentioned I never dyno'd the first engine. From a performance point of view it was on par with a stock Volvo 850 T5 AT full spec up to ~160 km/h. That's the only pretty realistic reference I have. Up to 100 km/h the SDM was quicker, after that it lost some ground.
The situation was a sort of a drag race from near standstill. From a roll the performance greatly depended on revs. In some situations it would jump, in other situations it was dead in the water. Sweetspot with the stock engine was 6-7000 RPM where I think it could have had an advantage over a stock GLT engine. Still my assumption is that the engine performance wasn't that much higher compared to a stock engine. Yes I do regret this engine had never been dyno'd just to see where it was at.

With the second engine it went on the load dyno little over a week after the engine was installed. The fuel was off in some area's but the timing was close. Over the course of nearly a day we only saw a gain of ~8 crank HP. Frankly, when I drove the car in the week before the dyno I was already pretty satisfied with the outcome. Of course it might go faster and of course it might have had a lot more torque but in my case there were 2 other cars on my driveway with that kind of engine behavior. My goals were very specific for this car and after the first two runs on the dyno I was already happy and ready to take it home.. :lol:

It was the guy operating the dyno and who has very much experience prepping rally and autocross/dirt track cars who became more and more curious and wanted to try some more things. He admitted he was intrigued by the 5 cylinder ITB setup. He was also the guy helping me to spec the cams btw. The highest HP number reached was something like 233 HP. The car received tremendous torture though. My goal was 200 HP, his believe was that 240 HP should have been in there.

The last trackday the limiter was set at 8K RPM but I want to lower it to 7600 RPM because that appears to be where the power is. 8K is nice for 2nd gear only and I think I can live with 400 less RPM in that gear. It must remain a hobby. ;-)

Wow Johann you were a lot more detailed here than on VS. Was a pleasure to read :)

I don't remeber what happened to the s60 and the SD-C, IIRC the 850 got a turbocharger instead the SC.
And whats up with the 1.6 c30? That should get a own thread as well :)

Wow Johann you were a lot more detailed here than on VS. Was a pleasure to read :)

I don't remeber what happened to the s60 and the SD-C, IIRC the 850 got a turbocharger instead the SC.
And whats up with the 1.6 c30? That should get a own thread as well :)

Well.. For now I consider the S60 to be a failed project. The car is running fine with a 2005 2400 T5 engine with a disabled intake VVT but still on stock software and with a OEM "R" downpipe. Since it is running OK, no more than that, I keep it this way until it starts to itch again and I don't know when that will happen. If someone wants to spend an unreasonable amount of money on a 2003 S60T5 is OK also, then it will go but frankly I don't think I will see that happen in this century. ;-)

850 SC, I made another thread about this car.

C30 1.6, KW V3 and TDR18" wheels have been fitted. Those were leftovers of my former DD, C30T5.
Worked out a plan, will start with this car I think by the end of September but it still has a long way to go. I think it will take me over the winter to make something happen. Will post by the time it becomes something substantial.

header4.jpg

where did you get you pistons from for your 850 I"m doing an 850 turbo sleeper but has a bad piston it drives but smokes a lil the surprizing thing is that the turbo still spools on 4 cyl!!!. i cnt find a replacement cyl tho

After almost 3 months of non usage the battery was slightly low but after a recharge the car started without a sigh.

oct-1.jpg

Hope I didn't wake up to many people on the peaceful Sunday morning.. :lol:

Back