• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cosbysweater's 244: ATS Brakes All The Things/Wish It Was A CTS-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
If all of the silly 6.0 issues are fixed or preemptively sorted out, those can actually be really nice. Definitely the bargain of the fullsize diesel pickup world.

We have one at work that's an early 6.0 crew cab, that has been through about 700 to 800 turbo swaps. Not out of necessity of course, but the truck was a noise test mule for many years.

They also used it to test hot shutdowns for turbo durability. Load it up with a tandem axle trailer at max rated towing capacity, go out I-15 in the middle of the summer, pull up the Cajon Pass or Baker Grade at full throttle and then at the top, immediately pull of to the shoulder and shut the engine off. It absolutely bakes.

Yea i love the 6.0. Very reliable trucks once the issues are fixes and you follow the dealer service intervals. Very underrated engine, im undecided if im going to keep it or not.

Fix the International 6.0! What caused that engine failure?

Depending on price/availability of used engine....looks it up....$3k'ish for a used engine! WTF. Fix that one and tow Volvo's with the truck!

We had a dead 6.0 at the shop for weeks while we waited for special tools from the internet for HP oil system leak test. Got the special tools, did all the rubber seals that cause HP oil leaks in the heads, pressure tested it and it passed, reman injectors at $250x8 and a $600 HPOP and it was back on it's feet and ready for another 100k!?

Last edited:
When my 7.3 was stolen this past summer I started seriously looking at 6.0's. I could buy a 6.0, spend 5K having bulletproofing done, and still be cheaper than a replacement 7.3. BUT I found a sweet deal on a 7.3 just as I was about to pull the trigger on a 6.0.

I'd still consider getting a 6.0 as a project truck though. If the right deal came along...

I have "heard" that the 7.3 is more reliable than the 6.0L.

I had fun laying on foam pads across the radiator support digging deep into a F550 with the 6.0L V8 Powerstroke Turbo Diesel. Turbo pops right off and then you can dig right into whatever you need to get to. Working on trucks is fun. **** working on vans tho.

I don't know what it would take to convert a 6.0L to a 7.3, but I would imagine it would be cost prohibitive. I personally would just try to fix whatever it came with. A running vehicle is always better than a non-running project car!

6.bro progress. Lots of broken parts inside!

Tore the engine down

Because this guy broke

Which caused this to happen

Also cause all the needle bearings and such to get sucked into the lp oil pump

Organized chaos

^ Negative sir! Get a Miata. The sales tax on rotors for that C4 is what my rotors cost on the Miata.....

Had a 6.0, Loved it. Comfortable truck. Smooth and good power. Never had a problem with it. Did follow the service intervals to the T. Miss that truck..... 22MPG in a CCLB isn't too bad.

Cam hardening surface wearing out and the needle bearings shooting out of the lifter. Common issue when you rev the piss out of these things with high miles on em

Longblock is assembled and sealed. Also i got some new wheels for it. For 200 bucks i couldnt pass them up.
http://s749.photobucket.com/user/pungen/media/20151001_190824_zpsyndhufg6.jpg.html

Nice choice!

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back