• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Advice - Non Modded 245 or Modded 940

IRMB

I'm looking for a back up car to my daily - which is a sports car. I'd like something I can carry groceries in, bikes and more than 2 people. I've always loved Volvo 240's and know they last forever.

I've also always wanted a turbo'd red block.

I'm currently looking at a 100% stock 1989 245 with 175k miles and no issues and a 1991 940 with lots of mods and a few issues (rear wiper, one headlight, speedo dont work).

One the one hand - the 245 is pristine and I can make it my own by adding IPD parts and turbo.

on the other the 940 has more done do it performance-wise than I'd ever do - and I sort of doubt repairing its few issues will cost as much as modding the 245.

So what say you guys? is the 940 a good bet in general - when compared to the 245? And is buying a car already modded with all the bells and whistles a smarter way to go than buying something stock and building it?

Thanks!

here's the 940 ad https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/d/1991-volvo-940-turbo-manual/6565069832.html

here's the 245 ad https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/1989-volvo-240-dl-wagon-white/6543957467.html

Last edited:
I don't like to buy modded cars, because hey usually are hack jobs and even if they aren't they are probably going to be less reliable than a stocker.

Please don't ruin a nice 245 by modding it as I've seen too many nice cars get ruined with sloppy modifications rendering the car inoperable and eventually parted out and scrapped. I know I'm going against the TB Crowd with that...of course ruining a 7/9 series is perfectly acceptable no matter whos side you are on.

Few years ago I was looking at the same choice. Don't regret getting a 945T.
I wouldn't buy an already modded car though.

^Definitely a project there... Needs this to be done before it can be driven:

Better choice, find a nice, unmodified 1993-95 945Ti and enjoy having something that won't be tempermental, unlike a 240 Turbo with K-Jet that's having issues. When K-Jet is set up correctly and not running on the swine called gas down in California, it'll run nicely. Otherwise, I can see why most TB'ers yank the system out and replace it with LH-Jet or MS.

-J

Last edited:
How hard will it be to get the Virginia care to pass smog in CA?

Shouldn't be hard, since the turbo cars are California-spec emissions-wise. That said, I'd almost check the Seattle and PDX CL sites for a decent 945Ti, then pick it up over the iPd weekend and drive it home.

-J

Back