• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Did all 1993-on 940's have the G80 in the rear?

Ryan_R

Looking at a 1993 945 NA out of state to use as a "winter car" so the '95 stops seeing road salt. For a winter car, I really want to have another G80.

Volvo's press release in '93 says 940 has locking diffs as standard. Has anyone seen/heard otherwise?

Thanks!

-Ryan

I have yet to pop the differential cover on a 940 that didn't have a G80, irrespective of whether it was a turbo or n/a car.

Short answer, no. Not all 93 and newer 940s have the G 80 locker, regardless of what Volvo says. In Europe, it was never standard equipment according to the members that live over there. I have only encountered one 1993 or newer 940 that didn't have the locker. It was a 1993 model year and an NA car. Chances are very good the car you are interested in will have the locker. Just jack up one side of the axle with a floor jack, put the car in gear and ease your foot off the brake. If the car starts to move forward, it has a G 80 in it.

Not all had a locker... best way is to visually verify.

My 95 960 didn't come with a g80.

Yet, according to Volvo literature, it did. :) Lying bastards. 1996 was supposedly the last year of it being standard on a US market 960. 97-98 is was optional and you had to pay extra for it.

My 960 also doesn't have seat heaters... maybe its standard with the winter packages?

That is yet another lie they told. It is "supposed" to be part of the winter package. That's what they have printed right in their literature. I sold a 1996 960 sedan to a friend of mine that has the heated seats and headlight wipers, thus, winter package. I told him how his car was equipped with the winter package, including the G-80. Guess what? No G-80. I check them all now before listing the car for sale.

I thought all 940 turbos had G80s and all 95s in general had G80s, but with '91-94 NA's it was an option? I know my old '94 NA 944 didn't have a g80, but both of the '94 940t's I've owned had G80s. First 944t had the winter package, current 945t doesn't... but both have lockers.

Last edited:
All North American market 940 turbos are supposed to have a G-80 in them as standard equipment. I have never come across one yet that didn't have the G-80 in it.

Small sample size - but all 3 93+ 940's I looked at had G80's, and only one was a Turbo.

That is yet another lie they told. It is "supposed" to be part of the winter package. That's what they have printed right in their literature. I sold a 1996 960 sedan to a friend of mine that has the heated seats and headlight wipers, thus, winter package. I told him how his car was equipped with the winter package, including the G-80. Guess what? No G-80. I check them all now before listing the car for sale.

My car has headlight wipers but no heated seats. :run:

Just adding to the list, it appears that my recently acquired '94 945T does not have a g80 rear. It is raining out and from a dead stop it was only spinning one tire. Wasn't able to try a brake stand for the fear of a ticket, but I will jack it up later when it's not raining in order to be sure. I know that stock g80s really suck and act like an open diff a lot, even at low speeds.

Also, this 945T is a weird creature to me. B230FT (obviously), but cloth non-heated, manual seats.

It has these wheels
Volvo_940_Turbo_wagon_--_09-28-2011_1.jpg

But this front end
1994-volvo-940-white-very-clean-wagon-1.jpg

I thought all the later 940s, especially turbos, had the fog light headlights and the turbos had Hydra wheels. Admittedly this is only my 2nd 940.

If it has the thicker aluminum differential cover, its usually has a g80. The late model 94-95 models were available with cloth, no sun roof,etc.

94-95 940 Turbos were a base model car. You got the turbo engine, that's it. Everything else was an option that you had to pay for, including alloy wheels.

Back