• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Proper oil pressure for b230ft?

Probably ideal,
it's from Alldata.

Never (once maybe) heard of a b230 loosing oil pressure. Why are you asking?

Oil dummy light started coming on. Replaced sender with real gauge & electronic sender. Just wanting to make sure everything is OK.

Oil pressure is direclty related to RPM and Temperature. More RPM = more oil pressure. Higher temp = lower oil pressure.

As a rule of thumb, you want about 10 psi/1000 rpm... at least thats what Ive always known on V8s (im a V8 guy originally)

So at idle you'd have less than 15psi of oil pressure?

That just sounds scary.
The Volvo/VDO oil idiot light trips at 7-8 p.s.i which is about 0.5 Bar. At a hot idle you shouldn't be below 1 bar (16 p.s.i.). Typically you will run between 2-3 Bar (32-48 p.s.i.). A cold engine will give you 4bar (64 p.s.i) and may spike to 5Bar (80 p.s.i). If you're in this range don't worry about it.

Typically oil pressure in most V8s I build is around 20 at warm idle. In all honesty, oil pressure at idle isnt where most damage comes from. Most oil pressure issues and spun bearings comes from high rpm oil starvation...

The thing about oil pressure is it is MUCH different that fuel pressure because you cannot regulate it. You are pretty limited by the bearing clearances, spring in your pump (or type of pump), and type of oil.

The most important thing is to keep your levels good, run quality oil, and dont romp on it when you have any type of oil pressure issues.

bumping this thread. I dint see another thread for proper oil pressure in a NA motor.

I'm installing a speedhut gauge, and need to know what range gauge I should get. 0-100 or 0-60?

That being said, anyone have the pressure ranges expected for a healthy B230F?

It depends on where you want the gauge to read when warm. A warm engine will have .3 MPa (43.5 psi) @ 3000 rpm, which is where it will be (or lower) most of the time, but max pressure can reach .8 MPa (116 psi). If you use a 100 psi gauge, you'll be able to see the higher cold pressures, but the needle will be low on the gauge when warm. A lower pressure gauge will give better resolution in the normal operating range.

It depends on where you want the gauge to read when warm. A warm engine will have .3 MPa (43.5 psi) @ 3000 rpm, which is where it will be (or lower) most of the time, but max pressure can reach .8 MPa (116 psi). If you use a 100 psi gauge, you'll be able to see the higher cold pressures, but the needle will be low on the gauge when warm. A lower pressure gauge will give better resolution in the normal operating range.

That's good info. I new about temperature,RPM and grade oil impact ion pressure, but wasn't certain about the typical operations range for a redblock.

The real concern is low pressure, right? Time above 60 psi, not usually a concern? If that is the case I like the higher resolution 60 psi gauge. I appreciate y'alls input.

Back