• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

M90 spigot shaft bearing

KEITHS2000

I've looked right through m90 gearbox thread and can't find any reference to the spigot shaft
Do you guys extend the input shaft or not bother with it does it need it ?
I am running a dog dish flywheel

Last edited:
Also prevents this from happening:
2r216e1.jpg

There was 13mm between the end of the shaft and the bell housing
I ended up settling for the width of the standard bearing 10mm in a brass housing mounted in the end of the crank
So the spigot sat 10mm proud of the crank and that sat nicely on the shaft

Retro Turbo M90 pilot bearing fits in the volvo redblock fllat flywheel perfectly.

IMG_57941_zpsm4oo85bt.jpg

Fits in the redblock dog dish!

IMG_57931_zpslzsasg2j.jpg

But DOES NOT FIT in TTV Racing redblock flywheel that takes 850R 240mm clutch... That sucks..

Wait it DOES NOT FIT IN JohnV billet steel flywheel with 240mm saab clutch either.. Double suck.. I'm hoping a twin I know can fix that problem..
IMG_57911_zpsrnfsrgv4.jpg

Both TTV&JohnV have different idearers of what the volvo redblock inner flywheel hole size should be and it's not the same as volvo's..

w00t ?!! they sucky sucky then :D

No.. I emailed skandix already.. they seem adorned about selling it separately.. maybe they fear someone could copy "their" very own M90 Conversion kit :D

But anyway.. it is not a part you cannot fab on your own cause of some machinerymagic must be involvoed ;) I could think of some 7075 and one SKF bearing ;)

Sbabbs.. do you have the specs for the TTV flywheel`? so you could save me getting my m90 out just for measurements :)

/edit

but i must admit that i like the skandix part better over a free aluminum bearing in a big hole without being tightened??

Last edited:
50mm on the hole size of the TTV flywheel. 53mm is JohnV flywheel hole. 54 mm is the size of the stock volvo flywheel hole.

11mm thick from where it bolts onto the crankshaft for TTV. I should measure the stock volvo dogdish see if that's the same as skandix one is made for that.

Maybe I can fix this problem with the retroturbo bearing with my belt sander? It does go into the crank also so not sure why it would need to be perfect into the flywheel hole. Just needs to fit through it. I'm thinking a guy I know with a lathe perhaps can fix it for me.

Other problem with skandix one is no photo of the backside. How does the bearing stay in there? It might have 54mm lip? Who knows? I'd buy one right now if I could. They won't sell just the bearing thingy?

Last edited:
50mm on the hole size of the TTV flywheel. 53mm is JohnV flywheel hole. 54 mm is the size of the stock volvo flywheel hole.

11mm thick from where it bolts onto the crankshaft for TTV. I should measure the stock volvo dogdish see if that's the same.

Maybe I can fix this problem with my belt sander?

Other problem with skandix one is no photo of the backside. How does the bearing stay in there? It might have 54mm lip? Who knows?

Hi, on things like this and snug fits i wouldnt go the TB ?way.. ;) go to a shop with a lathe and tell them to turn something off.

I would bet theres only a small (1-2mm) lip to center the skandix bearing.. the rest is done via the flywheelbolts.

The retroturbo one sits out 17mm from the end of the crankshaft. Yeah if there is only 1 or 2 mm lip to center the skandix in what? The flywheel hole? Then it won't work with TTV flywheel unless you belt sand it, ha.

I will look at that flexplate little plate thing that goes with the flexplate looks like maybe that could be used like skandix one..

Last edited:
The retroturbo one sits out 17mm from the end of the crankshaft. Yeah if there is only 1 or 2 mm lip to center the skandix in what? The flywheel hole? Then it won't work with TTV flywheel unless you belt sand it, ha.

I will look at that flexplate little plate thing that goes with the flexplate looks like maybe that could be used like skandix one..

aaaahh ! i know what you're talking about ! awesome idea! i will have a look also :)

Does the M90 need support for the mainshaft?

When the pressure plate holds the clutch disc tight between the PP surface and the flywheel the disc supports the mainshaft. In other words - when you put power through the transmission the mainshaft is not just hanging freely in mid-air. It is supported by the clutch disc and by the mainshaft bearings.

Why then do other transmission, like the M46, have a pilot bearing? The way the M90 transmission is built is fundamentally different. Unlike a traditional transmission with a two-part mainshaft and a layshaft, the M90 has a centered mainshaft and two layshafts. The M46 input shaft is supported at the front end of the transmission and at the very end-tip of the mainshaft - by the pilot bearing. The input shaft is not supported at the back-end of the transmission, but rather the mainshaft is "split" right after the input shaft goes in the transmission. Here the power is transmitted to the layshaft right at the beginning of the mainshaft. If you had no pilot bearing, the input shaft would wobble when you disengage the clutch.

The difference with the M90 is that in the M90 the mainshaft is supported right at the front of the transmission and also at the back of the transmission - the input shaft is "split" at the back - not at the front.

This means that as you disengage the clutch the mainshaft will not wobble. At least not as much as in a traditional transmission.

So does a M90 need a pilot bearing? Nope. I never used one and had no problems
Is a pilot bearing a good idea? As long as the bearing line is straight - why not. At least it should not do any harm.

Is it a good idea to have a bearing carrier that is centered only by the bolt holes? Not necessarily. I do not know how the Scandix bearing carrier is centered. If your bearing carrier puts the pilot bearing off-center from the bearing line you are not improving the setup - you are making it worse. Way worse. It could be though that the Scandix one centers by some other means than the bolt holes.

The Skandix solution, with a separate bearing carrier, is not always usable - in some clutch combinations there will not be enough room for the bolt heads. They would hit the clutch disc's center section. That whole kit seems to be thought out to work as a kit though, so there should then be enough room for bolts if those parts are used. The Retro Turbo one should not have this problem in any case.

Last edited:
Back