• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

530 head questions

Lord Tentacle

Anime Lord
I could not find any info on this via the search function....

on my 530 head from a 91 b230ft
it apears that there are places on the head for a head mounted fuel injection rail + injectors

I'm assuming these were for the K-jet system?
and when volvo switched to LH they moved the injectors to the intake manifold

If i wanted a head with the injectors and fuel rail already on it
what year/make should i be looking for?
or would it be a better idea to just get the fuel rail and have a machineist drill the holes for me?

There was never a fuelrail on the heads, the K-Jetronic had separate copparfuellines from the distributör/AMM to each injector.
Those injectors had smaller diameter than the electrical ones on later models.

Tiebird, go take a look at the watercooled 8V 4 cylinder volkswagen heads from the 80s. I think they will give you ideas. Hint; in those heads, you can go from CIS (K-jet) to pulsed (LH-like) injection by replacing the plastic seats on the holes on the head.

you can even use LH-injectors directly into the K-jet injector holes, been there done that.
It's a very tight fit though. but the distances between the injectors are the same! You can use the original LH-fuelrail on top of the injectors but you have to make some brackets to mount it securely and to mount the FPR.
Why did we try this? we wanted to try the K-jet intake manifold (with the bigger plenum) in combination with the LH-system. It works just fine!

this pic sorta exxplains my questions
if these are the non drilled out injector holes
which car would i find a 530 head in that had them already drilled out and setup for injectors and that would let me use a head mounted dizzy

carstuff2006.jpg

I also have a k-jet manifold ive been wanting to put in my 530.... They have drill bits for bosch style injectors on ebay, I wonder if you could just drill into the bosses? I would make simple fuel rail brackets from soft aluminum that attaches to two of the valve cover acorn nuts so i dont have too modify too mutch.

you can even use LH-injectors directly into the K-jet injector holes, been there done that.
It's a very tight fit though. but the distances between the injectors are the same! You can use the original LH-fuelrail on top of the injectors but you have to make some brackets to mount it securely and to mount the FPR.
Why did we try this? we wanted to try the K-jet intake manifold (with the bigger plenum) in combination with the LH-system. It works just fine!

pics?

First y'all complain if someone starts a thread about something that's been covered before, then y'all complain if someone bumps a pre-existing thread with questions:roll:

First, I don't complain when someone does that. Second, the OP hasn't followed up in nine years. Either he's lost interest or located his info elsewhere.

I'm considering this method... No welding shops near to put bungs on the intake...no other options, And you have to admit a highly Polished aluminum k-jet manifold without f/rail would look freaky-sexy.

Last edited:
Second post I've seen recently about tapping holes into a head. How do people do this accurately, as in, straight? People just using a hand-held drill and holding their breath??

As long as the drill bit comes out close to the center of the Runner I think it will work fine... imo In a perfect world I would make a jig to hold the head at an angle so the k-jet injector bosses are level with the base of the Drill press stand, Drill a decent sized holes that are a bit under the OD of the injector O-ring in each boss, Final drills could be made with specialty bits made to bore out Bosch dia. injector ports.

Last edited:
Back