• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Change oil without removing drain plug...

I've used a vacum pump like that to take out some excess ATF fluid from my transmission last time I did a flush on it and overfilled it. I'm sure it would work, but it would be awfully slow. It's easier and faster to just drain it. And if you really don't want to take the plug out you could just use one of those valves you install where the plug goes(http://www.fumotovalve.com/), but on a volvo that's probably not the best idea since the pan is one of the lowest parts on the car.

Last edited:
I was told that manufactureres are going to this method!

Over a bay, there will be a few hoses for oil/coolant/brake fluid/etc, and you will not remove the drain plug unless there is a problem, everything will be sucked out. I was told they are going to do this to keep mess down, keep oils separated and whatnot.

xallenx said:
...has anyone ever tried this...http://pics2.tdiclub.com/video/cincitdi/oilextraction.html any comments..thanks!!

Those extraction pumps work well. A friend who has used one for years, finally pulled the oil pan from his engine and found it to be perfectly clean (no sludge at all).

Notice that in the video, there was no rolling around on gravel or trying to fit under a car! It's the next best thing to having a lift in your garage.

Several outfits sell the oil extractors, no experience with the Pella personally, my friends all bought theirs from Griot's Garage. $65 for the hand pump, $99 for Pneumatic (sp?)

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10122

NFI of course.

I built an aspirator from a refrigerator pump and a glass gallon jug. I use it to suck out differential lubricant, brake fluid, power steering fluid but not engine oil. You have to get under the car to get at the filter anyway.

Three Fat Tigers said:
Not if you install a remote oil filter ;-)

Why use an oil filter anyway?

Ditch the filter, they just clog up anyway and make a mess during replacement.

Use real thin oil too, it leaks out faster guaranteeing that you add fresh stuff periodically.

KIDDING. :-P

Carbuff2 said:
Why use an oil filter anyway?

Ditch the filter, they just clog up anyway and make a mess during replacement.

Use real thin oil too, it leaks out faster guaranteeing that you add fresh stuff periodically.

KIDDING. :-P

How thin would you like? My teacher, who was an engine builder for NASCAR (wOOHOO!) said they were getting stupid low weights for qaulifying before they werent allowed to change the oil before the race. He said he got worried when they ran a 0 weight oil. He thought they all turned stupid when they had him pouring a 0000 weight oil into the engine. hha

I was trying to find some of this 0000 weight, but I cant find it,

Thanks for all the replies. I'm buying this pump for my mr2 since the filter is accessible on top of the car. So no need to go under the car at all. Since I'l have the pump I just want to go ahead and use it on my volvo too. Hmm...where can I get the remote oil filter relocation kit?? thanks!!

Also, anyone tried to this on tranny fluid change???

Last edited:
i need to get a set of super shallow ramps that also dont slide on the garage floor so i can retire the floor jack.

that would make me happy.

Back