• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Runs on 2-3 cylinders when cold starting

Don't know what the problem is when this happens - but it must be water related and not just coolant.

Both my '89 245 and '83 244 do this every now and again - often after i've cleaned the car (with water getting spashed into the engine bay) or when its very misty/high condensation.

Then when it goes to start, it feels like it turns over on like 2-3 cylinders a couple of times and slowly kicks in and revs up to idle in about ~5 seconds.

Today, I had a V8 Jeep with a shorted fuel injector code and complaint of loss of power: labscope revealed no injector pulse.

That is all.

Borrowed a third compression tester, all cylinders hold 190 PSI. The plot thickens

Last edited:
That doesn't mean the HG isn't weeping into the holes.

A coolant pressure test may reveal a leak into the holes. Or pull the plugs and look for steam cleaned pistons.

Last edited:
Yep. Happened to me on my 400k mile 240 after a water pump issue.

I popped the head off and, like any seasoned brickers knows, I was unsurprised to find heavily corroded coolant passages and other pits in the head from electrolysis.

The pits were welded up and the head was milled flat.

OP a leak down test applies pressure to each cylinder. You get an indication of percentage of loss + with pressure applied you can easily see if... The coolant level changes in the bottle.... If one cylinder delivers a lot more crankcase vapors to PCV.

Having to add coolant? Oil?

It needs compression, fuel and spark to run. Find which is missing to solve your miss.

I will rent a leakdown tester ASAP. My oil and coolant are fine.
Yep. Happened to me on my 400k mile 240 after a water pump issue.

I popped the head off and, like any seasoned brickers knows, I was unsurprised to find heavily corroded coolant passages and other pits in the head from electrolysis.

The pits were welded up and the head was milled flat.
How much did the head repair cost?

Last edited:
I wanna say about $200. The thing I have been questioning more and more is, "How much has been milled off over the life if the head?" My bone stock 1990 240 DL has been knocking on throttle-in; the one with a milled head.

I increased the octane and it seems to have helped. I CANNOT SAY if the head job is the reason, but head thickness is something I am going to start measuring.

Back