• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

R brakes behind 15s

dirtbag240

Hey all

Has anyone run the R front brakes sucsesfully behind 15?7 et 20 rims with adequate spacers??

Just dont want to have to invest in a whole new set of rims

RX7 calipers "should" work in a 15" wheel with a 740 rotor. It'll be close but it might work. But yeah you can forget the R brakes.

What are F1 brakes? Are those the factory brakes on the 240?
There was a thread bashing sliding calipers, saying the 240 4 piston calipers were the same design as Formula 1 brakes, much hilarity ensued, but you had to be there. I've never had a probIem with overheating the stock brakes at autocross or single lap time trial events. Just get good pads and change the brake fluid with some high temp stuff and you shouldn't need to upgrade but that's just my opinion.

Here's a front R caliper inside a 17" wheel. Not much room to go smaller. Maybe a nice thin forged 16 would clear, maybe.

122_393.jpg

To the original poster. Have you tried performance brake pads? Like EBC green or Hawk HPS for example? Have you ever used slotted or drilled rotors? Plus if you want long lasting rotors with sport brake pads you can buy rotors that are cryo hardened.

I like the R brake upgrade but it's not needed for a large increase in brake performance.

RX7 calipers "should" work in a 15" wheel with a 740 rotor. It'll be close but it might work. But yeah you can forget the R brakes.
There's a few that do - Aries I know clear (and I carry an old tire on one in my RX7-caliper-equipped '80 as its spare), Scorpius-X, Draco, and 140 steelies do not.
Just throw on some 5” spacers and rock out ;-)
Going off my ATS calipers, I think 2" of spacer would get the mounting surface flush with the caliper face, then another 1.5" would push a 5" 140 wheel (I've got about 12 of 'em sitting in my shed, lulz) out far enough for the barrel to sit outside the caliper. Then, something like a set of stretched bicycle tires and an ABS conversion to keep the R brakes from constantly overwhelming their ability to grip would be perfect to complete the lunacy ;)

One thing I've learned over the years of banging on cars - do it once, do it right. You'll be better off keeping the R-brakes in a box, saving up for and looking for deals to do it right, rather than doing wacky workarounds to deploy them half-baked.

My friends 93 940 wagon had the big brakes on it stock. The car came with Aries on it. When we tried my Virgos they won't work on there. But Borbet Type E in 15 x 7 fit on there and look great. So they should also clear the RX7 brakes.

Back