• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Techwagon! Mark's CarPC/MS/Stereo/etc thread

Mark

sex lights
Just some teaser pics of what I'm up to...

8.4" touchscreen- Excuse the butchery as I'm just mocking it up right now. Missing is the slotload laptop dvd+/-rw drive... It'll live in the jagged hole beneath the LCD. Heater controls and switches will be relocated to where the stereo formerly lived.

This tangle is what's providing the image on the toughscreen image. It's a VIA epia m10000 with 512mb ram, seagate 320 gb drive and an opus 160w car power supply. PC enclosure by rubbermaid :)

more to come!

M.

Last edited:
Nice! Something that I am looking to do with my car when I get chance. Where you thinking of sitting the componets?

and currently, I think that this thread belongs in the showroom.

jeeze. i always wanted to put a screen in but damn. thats alot of screen. i was always toying with putting a 16x9 small screen up above the tray and rerouting the fans.

Glad to see it. That's awesome. I've considered the same thing as well, but I need to work on other mechanical things at this point in time.

Oh...., and you're using the wrong OS. ;-)

Will it ever run again?!?!?!?!?:wtf:

Part of this project is the installation of my megasquirt and the rewiring of basically everything underhood, which was a monstrousy malicous mangle of miswiring.

here's a "before" shot. The big problem is that Volvos are drivers side battery where most GM stuff is passenger side. The person who wired it used pretty much an extra car worth of wiring to put all the relays on the driver's side rather than move four 12v wires in the Volvo harness. At least I assume that's why. I can't give you a logical reason why they were put on the opposite side of the starter and battery.

and here it is in mid-rewire. Ugh. I've been taking pictures and labelling everything but it's still gonna be a chore getting it all back in one piece. I've been dealing with some "non-wiring" issues too, like the crazy long accelerator cable. I'm thinking I may move half of heater hose through the interior rather than tangled around in knots underhood.

I must have removed 25 yards of wire that went nowhere.

Well, that's where I got to tonight. The uphill battle of putting it back together begins tomorrow.

M.

Last edited:
I'm guessing at the very least: audio/video reproduction and library & Megasquirt monitoring slash extra gauges. Possibly a GPS module as well.

:omg: :omg: I never thought of running the megasquirt apps thru the carpc, that's brilliant!

and if you're not tooning, having the digital display guages would be Awesome! Dude, now I'm even more excited for this project to be finished! If you aint too busy with work, gimme a shout if you need a hand sometime during the week or somethin.

:omg: :omg: I never thought of running the megasquirt apps thru the carpc, that's brilliant!

and if you're not tooning, having the digital display guages would be Awesome! Dude, now I'm even more excited for this project to be finished! If you aint too busy with work, gimme a shout if you need a hand sometime during the week or somethin.

That's the whole point, duh. :-P I'm contemplating getting my palm gauge back in commission, for something or other...

Mark, what OS are you going to run?

Back