• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Canyoneagle's 1979 245

Go to a pay 'n spray, soak the engine bay with degreaser, let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Start the engine, then spray it with water. Don't shoot stuff directly at the distributor and you should be just fine. If the car starts to stumble, stop spraying.

That's kinda the direction I was leaning - being careful with pressure and direction - the car did not have its splash pan (geting one from impolvo) so years of unmitigated dirt have taken their toll....

Made good headway today.
Got the front bits cleaned up a bit, installed the timing belt and water pump, and started to put everything back together. I noticed that one of the bolts for the power steering pump is missing, so will try to get one in there tomorrow.
I also got around to wire brushing and painting the wheels.

Wheels Before:

AFTER

Will get back at it tomorrow, hoping to finish this initial round - new ignition (coil forward), injectors, radiator/hoses, etc then start her up and hope for the best

More progress today, but took a step back and took time to do some things methodically rather than quick n dirty.
- installed new plugs, rotor, cap
- finished water pump, alternator, pulleys, belts
- cleared area around power steering pump and assessed missing/stripped bolt. Looks like I either need to do an M8x1.25 repair or drill and tap an M10.
- Pulled valve cover, wire brushed, cleaned and painted. Looks good. It is sitting on its new gasket but I got the wrong washers, so I'll button it up next time.
- general cleaning/grease removal, and assessment of various bits and pieces for replacement.

IPD goodies

The state of things this morning,

And the end of the day:

Yeah! If only I could afford to do everything I wanted. ;)
This first round the parts alone have cost me three times the price I paid for the car, but I knew that would be the case. Haha.

Looks like a great project, really getting the works! I need to trade one of these boring 1990+ 245's I have for a pre 1980 245! That paint will buff out!

Looks like a great project, really getting the works! I need to trade one of these boring 1990+ 245's I have for a pre 1980 245! That paint will buff out!

I agree - the 70's Volvos are really cool. My wife, who is generally not a Volvo fan, LOVES this car.

I think it will buff up nicely. There are patches of clearcoat scattered in various places, and the hood is slightly darker than the rest of the car, but I think it will come out looking pretty good.

I'll be wrenching again today - I hope to drill/tap the stripped PS pump bolt and get the cooling system in this evening. At that point, I just have the new coil, injectors and fuel filter and she's ready to fire up.

The mid fuel pump is a little noisy, so I think the next project will be to replace both fuel pumps / tank filter, and perhaps the accumulator.

From what I can see the wiring looks pretty solid. I may re-do the front lighting harness when I install the Hella's, along with the relay mod to minimize the current flow at the switch. impolvo is an electrical wiz, so I may tap into his expertise when it comes time for that one.

It may be that just the prepump in the tank is weak causing the main pump to be noisy. I recommend the ipd prepump upgrade...it took care of my noisy main pump.

Great recommendation, and fantastic thread on your own journey into troubleshooting your fuel delivery issues.

I think the upgrade kit will be my starting point, and I can go from there. I would imagine that the original 37 year old pump/filter is still in that tank.

Gonna be chilly here this weekend - teens and subfreezing both days, so not good for wrenching in an open space. I took a half day off work today to get a jump on it, and made good headway.
- installed new injectors/holders.
- new coil in place
- plugs/wires all set
- finished bolting down the valve cover and getting everything buttoned up. I couldn't find M6-1 acorn nuts so just got some stainless M6-1 nuts.
- drilled and tapped a M10-1.5 in the power steering pump and got it done. The bracket is still a bit wonky - the pump has a little play. I'll double check all of the bolts next round.

Gonna get the cooling system and fuel filter in next go, then will fire it up!!!!!!!!

As you can see, the master cyl is badly corroded. Brakes seem fine from my limited driving, but I plan to do a full braking system re-do (RX-7 or S60R) with new wheels at some point. Baby steps......

Last edited:
If any mods are stopping by, this thread may be better off in the "projects and builds" thread. It wasn't my intention to go that route initially, but it may be more appropriate there - this will be a long-term thread.

Thanks!

If any mods are stopping by, this thread may be better off in the "projects and builds" thread. It wasn't my intention to go that route initially, but it may be more appropriate there - this will be a long-term thread.

Thanks!

Click on the report post button in the bottom left of the first post and just make a note asking them to move it.

Click on the report post button in the bottom left of the first post and just make a note asking them to move it.

Ahhh great. Done.
I was searching for the name of the mod for this thread group and couldn't find it - the "report post" route is a good tip. Thanks!

Got it all back together yesterday evening (with the exception of the fuel filter). Filled the coolant, verified oil level, and gave it a good crank, aaaaaaannnnnnd......
No go.
impolvo had a handy dandy spark tester, and we verified that there is spark (coil and distributor). My next guess is no fuel. Did the sniff test at the exhaust, and no sign of fumes, so I suspect the system is not getting enough pressure to pop the new injectors.

I had noticed (in my initial driving of the car) that the mid pump was a bit noisy, so I had suspected that the tank pump was either on its way out or already gone - a kit is already on backorder with IPD.

So, until the new kit arrives, I will do some electrical testing - relay, pump wiring, etc. and will see if I can find a pressure gauge/tester to check line pressures.
I think I'll also pull the fuel lines from the injectors to verify flow there.

Anyway, some troubleshooting awaits, but at least the initial effort is now finished and I can take on the fuel system issue with focused energy.

Here it is all together.

I plan to do the basics that I can during this chilly weekend - troubleshooting the CIS / fuel system electrical stuff, and fixing a broken wire near the starter that I discovered during my other work. I've identified the two potential wires, and both tie into the cold start injector / thermal time switch system, so I would imagine this is a critical element. it is one of the two blue/yellow wires shown here.
I'll also pull the aux air valve (again) but will do an internal clean-up with carb cleaner and test its operation. It will be cold enough out that I won't even need to put it in the freezer ;-)

I just ordered a CTS k-jetronic fuel pressure test kit so things will get real next weekend.

Here's the wire (yellow @ bottom). The top portion isn't shown here but it looks like they were cut cleanly. hmmmmm...... intentional bypass by the prior owner? Not sure. I'm going to re-connect them regardless.....

Last edited:
Good catch with the broken wire.

K-Jet doesn't like low or erratic fuel pressure. Once you get that sorted w/ the tank pump I think you'll soon be on the road.

Good catch with the broken wire.

K-Jet doesn't like low or erratic fuel pressure. Once you get that sorted w/ the tank pump I think you'll soon be on the road.

Yup, I hope that's it. I had suspected low system pressure, given the car's serious hesitation and lack of any response to throttle input - I could feel the starvation.

I also wonder if I should pull the new injectors and "pre-pop" them with compressed air in case the seals have stuck a little with whatever time they've been sitting before I ordered them.

Back