• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

how long do I have with singing diff

MCPeach

My diff is is singing intermittantly, and wonder how long I hsve. I changed the oil, noticing metal shavings on the plug.
If the spider starts singing, I know that I only have a few miles before it dies.
Hopefully, it plays like the classic engine knock and goes for tens of thousands of miles.
I placed a wanted ad.
thanks

Depends on what song it's singing.

Whine going down the road is R&P. Noise when turning is spiders. Usually whine from the R&R that has slowly grown louder with miles will still have a while to go before it fails, especially with decent oil in there. Noise that suddenly started, or that started after some brutal event (donuts, burnouts, N-drops, etc) then you may not have that much time left.

Does the noise change between drive and coast? If so, probably some wear developing in the R&P. If not, could be something simple like a wheel bearing or carrier bearing.

Thread jack:
differential drain plug washer. Is is the same as the oil pan drain plug washer?

Thread jack # 2

Anyone have an issue with lockers staying locked at lower speeds once engaged? Releases fine after 40kph but stays locked under. Assuming some metal bits are floating around.... :(

Thread jack # 2

Anyone have an issue with lockers staying locked at lower speeds once engaged? Releases fine after 40kph but stays locked under. Assuming some metal bits are floating around.... :(

if it stays locked I would consider that a good thing hahaha. on a serious note though yeah probably some broken crap in there

Thread jack # 2

My g80 does this too. It unlocks if I drive over 40km/h or if I drive in the opposide direction for a few feet, in addition my diff whines a bit at 80-90kmh and had been doing it for 3 months with no sound change

Mine whines at 130+kph.

I'd like to just change the fluid but I'm afraid I'll disrupt it and it'll die in a week.

Thanks gsellstr. Then its the r&p,,, definitely like to thrash around on the local dirt roads. I get the high pitched songfor a few seconds, intermittantly upon cold startup going straight, and havent noticed it once warm. Problem is not wanting to risk a break out there, and certainly not fully loaded returning to washington.
Whats the diff ratio for the m47 5 speed manual?

If it's only when cold, change out your fluid and run it. I've had a light whine on mine for 3 years now, Elliott's had a loud whine on his for about the same, and we both flog the crap outa them, mine with a good bit of power to the ground and the trutrac to get it there.

Swap it over to something like Lucas 80-90 or 80-140, see if it goes away.

Thanks gsellstr. Then its the r&p,,, definitely like to thrash around on the local dirt roads. I get the high pitched songfor a few seconds, intermittantly upon cold startup going straight, and havent noticed it once warm. Problem is not wanting to risk a break out there, and certainly not fully loaded returning to washington.

331's

Ratio should be 3.31 for an M47 of your vintage, AW7x automatics came with 3.73.

Center support. The R&P will whine constantly at certain speeds. Silver 245GL has R&P whine from about 45 mph on up. Doesn't help that there are poly big TABs installed, which probably helps transmit the noise to the body.

-J

Thanks j, and redwood. Ive had the center bearinging whine, this is sharper and higher. Combined with he shavings on the magnetic drain plug during the very recent oil change to 80/90, indicate r&p.
Thanks for the encouragement gellstr and blue. Im more relaxed, but will have no fun romping around to increase my odds should I not find the spare.
I think my next move is to change the oil again to see what shavings were produced inthe interveening 500 miles for a better idea.
Brickers, and this site are greatly appreciated.

Back