• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

I was too legit. Too legit to quit.

When I deleted EGR I just swapped in a $15 non EGR EZK and a non EGR intake mani:e-shrug: Removed all the related crap. Then on the exhaust side I just cut it off about 3" out on the exhaust mani, then put it in a vice to seal it (crushed the EGR pipe in exhaust mani). It was leak free but I heated it up and dropped a bead of solder to be sure. Forgot about it ever since. Also dropped in a 93 rail with Schrader valve while I was in there.

id9ZT14_d.jpg

Last edited:
Seems like a lot more work to cut the pipe and crap when you can pull the nipple from the manifold, throw in an 18x1.5 plug and be done but that's just me...

Seems like a lot more work to cut the pipe and crap when you can pull the nipple from the manifold, throw in an 18x1.5 plug and be done but that's just me...

It's not a nipple on the mani its a large ugly flange and there's still all the other EGR components below. What I did was a clean RGR delete. No evidence that it was ever there aside from the exhaust.

I searched tbricks during the swap looking for a plug and I found a few sources saying it was the same as an o2 thread. I bought one and it didn't fit so I did what I did.

Another reason why I opted for a new manifold rather than plugging it was because I also swapped to a non cold start injector mani. So now I have 2 less gaping holes and a less complex system. It happened at the same time I installed a 951 ecu.

Last edited:
In the meantime, got it mostly together after work. I'll put the vacuum lines on and test the car in the AM to avoid waking up the roommate :lol:

xFM7wjVl.jpg

I can confirm, the handful of 90+'s I've seen with EGR all had a fitting into the manifold, that when removed, accepted an 18x1.5 plug without issue. I suspect maybe yours was modded by someone along the way maybe, but that ain't the norm.

I ended up swapping to a non-EGR manifold for both intake and exhaust. Then I swapped the cold start injector for an intake temp sensor for future MS plans.

Jason, looks good!

I like those boost controllers, so easy to access...how well do they work?

And swapped both manifolds...I tried to remove the egr pipe but it was so rusted/super heated that all the threads completely stripped, so no plug was gonna work. Swapped fuel rail for one without cold start valve and it has a Schrader :)

Thanks guys :wave: I know this should have been a 1 day fix, but I was lucky enough to have my daughter this past week so I had to squeeze tinkering in between her and work :cool:

I can't speak for all boost controllers, but I believe I purchased this one used from a TB member back ~2011 and it has worked just great on my 242 and my 740 :nod: This one is branded HBC. I am moving this one to a more discreet spot once I've driven the car a few days and checked for leaks.

b7RnPiEl.jpg

Notes from the phenolic spacer install:

-I feel that the extended studs are still about 1/2" shorter than I would like. Will be changing to longer ones in the future
-The brace on the lower side of the intake manifold needs to be slotted to still mount to the intake mani
-Rubber elbow going into the throttle body needs to be trimmed about 1/2" or more to clear brake lines

All in all, they went in really well and seem like a nice product. I imagine that the EGR port going to my intake manifold negates some of the benefits these give me, but I'll get to that when I can find a tuning option for this car.

Edit: Maybe make a phenolic spacer for the EGR port? :lol:

Last edited:
I can confirm, the handful of 90+'s I've seen with EGR all had a fitting into the manifold, that when removed, accepted an 18x1.5 plug without issue. I suspect maybe yours was modded by someone along the way maybe, but that ain't the norm.

I ended up swapping to a non-EGR manifold for both intake and exhaust. Then I swapped the cold start injector for an intake temp sensor for future MS plans.

Jason, looks good!

Maybe it has to do with mine being purchased in Sweden and shipped here? I don't know what the thread pitch in the exhaust was, either way all is well now.

Sorry to thread jack OP, looks like it's coming along well!

No worries PromiseRing, glad to have some discussion in here :nod:

Hot weekend in Modesto, just in time for my Bday tomorrow :cool: Need to figure out why the 744 is consuming fuel at such an alarming rate. Can anyone point me to a comprehensive thread for testing my 02 sensor? :)

mhP4dIal.jpg

Without hi-res dvom to check the switching rate, it'll be kinda hard. Depending on age, might be time to just swap it. FYI, the NGK/NTK sensors are a big improvement over the Bosch stuff anymore. Personal experience on both my wagon and the Dodge has shown a marked improvement over the Bosch. Had another shop tech scope a brand new Bosch and brand new NTK, the NTK response was far faster than the Bosch, higher switching rate as well. For not much more cash, a definite improvement.

Yeah, it was hot as hell up here yesterday as well, saw 103 at the house, still sitting at 100 by 7, down to 87 by about 9:30. Compared to 70 right now at 9:15, big difference. lol

Happy early b-day!

Yeah, I know a few people that have done so with mediocre results. TLAO suggested the NTK to me a few years back, and I've had nothing but good results since then.

So it looks like the next leaks to tackle are the water pump and cam seal. No biggie :cool: Good timing to do the E fan and 02 sensor "while I'm in there" :lol:

Spent my day off mounting my Samsung surround sound system in the garage so we now have a proper stereo :nod:

CzIzcn5l.jpg

7nldrRml.jpg

VvSuRQrl.jpg

JZR7UCdl.jpg

Nice!

FYI, another oil leak up there, while you're in there if you haven't already...

Pull the front cam bearing cap, put some anaerobic sealant between the cap and the head. Volvo specs that on install, cuts down on the weeping from that joint. It sometimes mimics a cam seal leak.

Dang Thanks Gary. You have supplemented a lot of knowledge I don't have and desperately need :nod:

I want this car squared away enough to allow me time for the 242, but I think the 7 knows and is jealous :grrr: :lol:

They always know. Once it's done though, it's a very strange feeling. lol

My knowledge is far too often related to firsthand experience, requiring research to come up with a valid resolution. Good for knowledge, bad for time spent....lol

Roommate is helping my Dad out by patching up the stereo wiring in the blue 745. We're just doing maintenance on this car unless my Dad finally sells it to me :lol: so I won't start a thread for it just yet :nod:

H2lq0wFl.jpg

Back