• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My '91 744 B204GT project

Also a short video once the conrod caps were tightened to the spec:

<iframe width="1024" height="769" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/20__DR0TdMw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is this board still alive? :)
Anyway...more progress today. Headbolt threads re-tapped, head surface cleaned, headgasket sprayed both sides with Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket Hi-Temp Sealant, ARP studs from Yoshifab fitted and head installed! :cool:

What surprised me is that the headgasket is missing some coolant passages, is that normal? For example the left side of the first cylinder...:thinking:

tdPf3dyh.jpg

4LisM3hh.jpg

dUwW0cih.jpg

xy7jLIsh.jpg

ymCemw6h.jpg

SOmE3XSh.jpg

Thanks!

If there is something you really don't want to happen...it is to find out after assembling the engine bottom end that your torque wrench is pretty much off the scale :roll: so that's exactly what happened. Set to 80Nm and clicking on 50Nm. That basically meant all my main cap bolts / crank pulley central bolt / oil pump gear were tightened with wrong (too small) torque.

So new calibrated torque wrench, disassembly and re-torqueing all these bolts and re-assembly was a task of today. All is back together so more constructive progress to be done during the weekend.

Oh and also I couldn't resist to put this one from >Pete.M< on :)

58fYUeDh.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. I'm guessing you managed to get someone to convert the image to something usable.
How did you find out about the torque wrench? That's a lucky save.

Well, my friend works in a printing shop, so she managed everything :) thanks for the template!
How did I find out? I've recently bought a new calibrated Proxxon small torque wrench, and there was bit of overlap of the torque ranges between that one and the big wrench. So just out of curiosity I was wondering "how precise this old no-name wrench actually is?" :wtf:

Last edited:
For the ring gaps...well I just followed the technical list from Traum pistons. 0.58mm for the 1st/2nd compression ring and 0.38mm for the oil rings.

Other than that...engine is coming together!

Volvo sealant applied with the PU roller, hopefully it will be approved this time :-P
gqgU7s0h.jpg

Hydro lifters in
UTohYmHh.jpg

Camshafts in
ZShxO7ah.jpg

Cam cover installed & Bosch coil for the wasted spark mounted & leads connected
ZiH7F7ch.jpg

And timing belt installed
zfP4qDJh.jpg

Does that coil bracket position give you enough room in relation to the firewall?
I looked at this as an option in my 740 but didn't seem to work.

Day off today...so garage time from the early morning :-P

Wastegate preload adjusted
Ddxqb1Ch.jpg

Exhaust manifold + turbo mounted & oil lines connected
SgdKoYJh.jpg

Prepping the intake side (phenolic spacer)
PBbAVMih.jpg

Intake mounted
DwxqLAOh.jpg

Off the engine stand, loaded on the engine crane; flywheel mounted
hOH3voph.jpg

Clutch...
OlWX6Coh.jpg

...and pressure plate
WO41nDrh.jpg

Mated with M90
1mnf6qoh.jpg

and all together going back in
4WixkoIh.jpg

Voila...it's end of the day and the engine is back where it is supposed to be :cool:
ulkrBj7h.jpg

nice, curios if it works better..
Well, it doesn't fit...and neither would have fitted the KL Racing one. The issue is that the threaded hose coupler from the clutch master cylinder is specific for b234/b204 engines, so the hose has to have a really long thread at that end, as it goes first through a bracket, then nut, then the coupler...

1004427_d_0001.jpg

That is not the case for neither of the aftermarket hoses. So I am thinking about just replacing the hose with new OEM one. It was already working even with the old OEM hose, so that seems as the easiest solution. I am also in contact with a company that makes the custom hoses...

If you call your local Goodridge dealer I'm positive they'll be able to make you something. Or you could bring your old stuff to a local hydraulics supplier and have them make something for you.

If you call your local Goodridge dealer I'm positive they'll be able to make you something. Or you could bring your old stuff to a local hydraulics supplier and have them make something for you.

Well, I've contacted three (one in UK and two in DE) and only one was able to supply the long threaded end. It's the link below, fitting types 551 and 553. The hose is ordered so I'll give a feedback afterwards :nod:

https://www.probrake.de/Custom-stee...-custom-made-according-to-your-specifications

Other than that, I've replaced the automatic timing belt tensioner (just to be sure - it was probably still the original one), filled the fluids and was about to try starting. Unfortunately it seemed I have a dead starter, not even clicking. So I have started investigating and during that process I damaged the starter solenoid while torqueing down the positive cable nut :roll:
New starter solenoid is on the way, so hopefully in few days. But after this I still measured the exciter wire of the solenoid and during starting there is only 7V, that looks to me like a possible root cause...

FP0jewIh.jpg

Starter motor extracted, solenoid separated...to my surprise it seems the carnage was not caused primarily by torqueing down the cable nut, but it was already cracked before and this was just the last drop. While searching for used starters yesterday on ebay, I found several ones with the same damage. Well brand new solenoid is on the way so I think I made the right decision :)

V64Uwy7h.jpg

Back