• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Mike K? ruin another volvo. 945 pickup build

Thanks guys.

Did the end of the other bed rail, and also made a piece for the side of the top of the tailgate.

mF8eg32.jpg

esav2i7.jpg

2m91Ru9.jpg

oKN5pES.jpg

yeah, it's on the list*. Talked about some drains up front that run into the doors then out the weep holes.

* the "things we'll have to address at some point" list.

all that and you cant put better tail lights on?

no, they have become a structural element to the back of the car. The lights can never be replaced or it will go to pieces.

and upset the perfectly set 50-50 weight distribution.
we shaved the top of the tail lights to trim it in perfectly, so they're custom too!

You should see how foggy one of the headlights is - that'll really get you going

I want to see how the inspection goes. Mass is going to stricter ones in october I heard :roll:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm not really expecting any trouble, it's got a closed cab and all of the original safety equipment.

Worse comes to worst; I work in CT and my house is on the border... of the three plated cars I own only one has a sticker on it.

Mine turned 35 this year - so in NC - no more inspections at all. They linked annual registration and safety/emissions inspection about 10 years ago here which meant, no annual inspection = no new annual sticker for the tag. ugh. But - no more! Free at last...

We've been trying to make some time for this again. In no small part because woodstoves are running, leaves are down, and we're starting to think about storing cars, boats, mowers etc. Time to get this thing sealed up.

We jumped off the tailgate and started working on the hatch opening. We needed to build a lower 'dam' for the gate to close against and serve as a water barrier. We grabbed another piece of 90* 14gauge and started cutting...

Basic idea was to mimic and continue the lip of sheet metal which forms the stock opening. We cut a piece of the 90 to length and made slices to build in the curvature of the artful, pininfarina-esque shape of a Volvo 945 hatch.

sOr220m.jpg

With the piece tacked into shape, we then tacked it to the floor of the lip pointed out towards the hatch opening.

iiCBph0.jpg

It worked out really well! You can see in the corner we made a slice up the lower piece and bent the lip up so it's a nice continuous line just like on a stock car. The corner here might not look polished and beautiful but I'm pretty proud of it - there's 10+ pieces of cut and shaped metal just in this picture to stitch all this together. Also, welding on folded over layers of steel with seam sealer in between them makes some nasty smoke...

IanHX1Y.jpg

FyeAnyT.jpg

The finished product - a fully gasketed hatch opening, utilizing the stock Volvo gasket!

MlSy4KF.jpg

The hatch pulls up well and the gasket makes good contact all the way around, so we're ready to seal up this welding and make a latch.

Going to work on some body prep this weekend - we're really pushing to get a couple coats of epoxy primer on the car to seal it up.

Thinking longer term... we had my brother in law's Lexus sitting around the yard for a few months, which was effectively killed by the mean streets of Boston. I love love love the way this car runs so I bought it for scrap. The b230ft is a little unloved and rough running and this thing is just sooo smooooooth.

qPGY4wr.jpg

maybe... maaaaaybe
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FA5jsa1lR9c" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
how do you think it will feel to have the most well-built voltruck outside of scandinavia?

Wow that opening hatch is a nice touch. The 940 seats are very comfortable but the only downside is they don't have that quick release like the newer seat have to fold the back rest all the way forward. Would make it perfect to haul longer items.

Back