• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vintage Volvo 140 Cracked Dash, Fix Ideas

CRatcliff

Hey!

I have a 1971 144 with a big ol crack right down the middle of the dash. The crack showed up about 6 months ago, and it's bugging the hell out of me. I know I could replace the dash, and that's the RIGHT way to do it, but honestly I don't have a garage for the car right now, so it would probably just happen again with the new dash. SO, I'm curious what you guys have done to fix yours.

My wife is an artist, and has a much better aesthetic eye than I do, and she had the idea of doing a strip of fabric about 4 inches wide down the center of the dash - kinda like a racing stripe. What are your thoughts? What fabric would you say would work for this, and how to attach it?

Or I'll sell you mine for $300 locally. You saw it once before. ;-)

Also just interested in some sort of spray glue to hold the fabric that will still be removable if I decide to go a different route. A lightweight spray on glue?

There is such a thing as fabric tape but usually applied with an iron. If it's just a stripe of fabric, have your wife "fold it" to the size you want then just attach it along the edges with double sided carpet tape or something similar. Spray glue will be messy.

Suprised nobody has brought up padded dash filler:

https://www.polyvance.com/Padded-Dash-Filler-2/2050-9/

Way more legit than tape.

Definitely more legit, also about 15 hours more work. I figure the tape is a solid stop-gap so I can stop looking at the crack for now, and maybe it'll look a bit better than it did before. Obviously would need to be done right, so it doesn't look like tape and instead looks like an accent. Maybe a stripe for each air vent?

Thinking I remember seeing a video on using plastic bumper cover repair kit to repair cracks in a dodge charger dash pad.

Try searching: Cracked Dashboard Repair - Padded Dashboard - YouTube

Last edited:
I have a dash cover for it, just not super into the look. I would say the two top options for me are to either completely cover it with vinyl/leather, or try the strip out

Back