• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

An Intro:79' 245DL

Anyone have any tricks to fixing old pitted mirrors? I cannot find for the life of me new mirrors or anyone that offers re cut glass for the side view mirrors. I was all about fender mirrors, but I am vertically challenged and wouldn't be able to see them

take it to a glass shop. they will cut you a new mirror and glue it in there

take it to a glass shop. they will cut you a new mirror and glue it in there
This has crossed my mind

Brembos are going on tomorrow. Also replacing fuel filter. I'm also going to have to get a new battery tray and support brackets fabbed in, mind are super rusted. Will be replacing with a yellow/red top to prevent leaking.

Then it will be time to tackle audio

On your battery tray, consider using one for a 1987-93 240. Plastic, instead of metal. Only the bolts will rust... :-)

-J

On your battery tray, consider using one for a 1987-93 240. Plastic, instead of metal. Only the bolts will rust... :-)

-J

I ended up going this route today

As well as replacing all this:

Front and rear brakes
-Lines
-Calipers, rebuild
-Pads
-Master brake cylinder

All new suspension bushings

Rack and pinion

Steering pump

Fuel filter

Misc hoses,lines.

Welded the bumper bracket/rad support

This sweep should be the end all be all for my wagon. Sitting for 7 years really took it's tool, but I've taken every precautionary measure and maintenance is above where it should be.

Goal for the winter is piece together suspension pieces and find the perfect set of wheels

Finally got Vivian back and it feels way more solid with the brembos and redone breaking system.
TBH, I wish it was a manual,but this thing is just so fun regardless. It's not fast in any sense of the word,but I was driving around the adirondacks today and it was holding its own,definitely has a different feeling than the Z. I can't help,but smile when my little 79 wagon trudges past a modern day car.

With that said it has me looking at upgrading the cam,going catless and a straight pipe

I need to get a cheap camera, so I can post more. My iphone camera died.

I've really come to love the wagon.

Cc2OzAk.jpg

I really like the look and theme of this Galant wagon. I want to be slightly lower. Wide wheels. Nice beefy tires. I've never been a fan of slammed with foreskin thin tires.

So I forgot where I saw it, most likely on here, but what is/are "commando bumper"?

I've been looking at my rear bumper lately and it is way to big. Iirc correctly I saw a thread where someone welded the bumper shocks and pushed in their rear bumper

You have the commandos. the big aluminum with the rubber strip in the middle. I too agree that back bumper is pretty much too big. I pushed mine it and it made a HUGE difference on the look.

I'm glad someone saved that car. I grew up with an '80 244 in those colors and you hardly ever see the combination anymore. I really wanted to take that wagon home, but decided I needed something more friendly to driver status.

But that interior is PERFECT!

I confess that I didn't read all of the posts too closely, but what'd you do about the crossmember in the front? If nothing yet, I wouldn't mess with the suspension until you do....

79 feet? That's a really long wagon. :lol:

Anyway, grammar nazi aside, that's a nice looking car for a '79. Quite the transition from a Z, too. Sounds like you've got good direction for your plans... make 'er awesome.

I confess that I didn't read all of the posts too closely, but what'd you do about the crossmember in the front? If nothing yet, I wouldn't mess with the suspension until you do....

I replaced it. Was the first thing I did aside from replacing everything for the brakes

I really need to buy a camera. That's whats keeping me from posting.
I've been messing with the wiring and getting ready for the winter

I replaced it. Was the first thing I did aside from replacing everything for the brakes

I really need to buy a camera. That's whats keeping me from posting.
I've been messing with the wiring and getting ready for the winter

We'd LOVE to see some more pictures!!!!

Back