• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Type 9 manual swap into a Volvo 940

350Z
1: 3.794:1
2: 2.324:1
3: 1.624:1
4: 1.271:1
5: 1.000:0
6: 0.794:1

Ferd

4995683.jpg

:run:

Gotta swap in a 3.31 final diff gear...

Later everybody figured out to press a caged needle or roller bearing into the cluster on each end and simply install the "stub shaft"--and at same time make the stub 2x the diameter

This ^^^^ clears everything up.

Thank YOU!!

This ^^^^ clears everything up.

Thank YOU!!

You're welcome...unlike 99% here I worked on a few hundred gearboxes..and come from manufacturing background..I know that time is money for manufacturers so even if another part is needed--and that costs money--like the bearing carrier in MT75---if it make assembly easier and the product better its a good idea..

I also pointed it out so that somebody might know the differences tween "Whirled Glass" T5 and Non WC and not in the Euro sense "WC"...that the redesign is mainly for THEM who is making it and not to worry so much for the owner who might build a box once or twice..
Get the ratios that are best. and don't worry WC or Not-WC.

Just curious what is the main sort of driving you plan to do?
I don't imagine its put it in top gear and plant the foot hard for hours of 240 km/hr motorway madness...

And being a rally guy I think Yeah there are some fun roads I've walked down but what will you be doing?

I may have previously read the Ford Type 9 info incorrectly. The T9 had a limited torque capacity to 200 lb. ft. or so.

Based on the four-speed type E gearbox. The fifth, or overdrive gear, was added to the four-speed gearbox by placing it in the extension or tailshaft housing. This made production easier and cheaper but effectively limited torque capacity to 200 lb. ft. or so.

I may have previously read the Ford Type 9 info incorrectly. The T9 had a limited torque capacity to 200 lb. ft. or so.

Based on the four-speed type E gearbox. The fifth, or overdrive gear, was added to the four-speed gearbox by placing it in the extension or tailshaft housing. This made production easier and cheaper but effectively limited torque capacity to 200 lb. ft. or so.

No, Lummert, dammit..
5th hanging off in the entention housing doesn't change

A) shaft center to center distance--I think 62mm
B) clutch shaft to cluster gear ratio..which depending on the ratio, multiplies torque to some degree.

Gearbox basics...

Look at the T5 ID charts. Same shaft c-c...same construction different torque capacities due to ratio difference.
4 to one recduction multiplies torque more than 2.95 reduction

Just curious what is the main sort of driving you plan to do?
I don't imagine its put it in top gear and plant the foot hard for hours of 240 km/hr motorway madness...

And being a rally guy I think Yeah there are some fun roads I've walked down but what will you be doing?

Fun, as much as possible, but proper fun :)
Amateur drift events and track days. On closed and dedicated tracks.

Back