• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

242GT 1979 Group C Race Car

Just returned from Muscle Car Masters 2015 in Sydney at which the car got a great reception but we managed to damage the bottom end in race 1 after a day of drama at Fridays practice.

At the last race meet one of the welsh (core, freeze) plugs started to weep and we thought we would do the right thing and replace it before the next race meet. In hindsight we should have just let it weep. The best way to put it after having it blow 2 welsh plugs is that we think we now know how it needs to be done but the experience came at a price.

On the Friday at practice the car blew some smoke in turn 1 on lap 2 and the temperature gauge jumped to red hot in a matter of seconds but the damage was done. It had spat the Welsh plug and emptied the coolant By the time the car got back to the pits there was not even steam as there was no water left at all. To say it was hot was an understatement.

We knew it most likely would have warped the head but we had driven 12 hours for the weekends activities so did not intend to give up without having a go at fixing it. We fitted Welsh plug number 2 with some further advice from those with more knowledge and fired the car up to ascertain if we had warped the head. No surprises as the answer was yes. It was 1.00pm Friday afternoon and we had a gracious offer from the owner of Peninsular Engine Services at Brookvale in Sydney that they would machine the head if we got it off. So we stripped the head off it and at 3.30 pm I set out to travel the 50kms from Eastern Creek to Brookvale in Friday afternoon Sydney traffic. I did not arrive at machine shop until 5.30pm and the guys got to work. They had other work to do as well on another car so I did not leave the machine shop until 8.30pm.

Here is the head getting some love

CMTokEdl.jpg

I arrived back at the pits at 9.30pm and we set about putting it all back together. We had a full Head Gasket kit in our spares. We managed to have it fired up at 1.00am in the morning with some work to do on sorting timing when we returned in the morning. So we hit our beds at 2.30am and had to be up at 5.30am as we had to be at the track by 7.00am. We had qualifying at 9.00am.

We tweaked the cars timing and it was running strong and sounded good and we had no leaks and Welsh plug appeared to be holding. So it was off to Qualifying.

I ran the car on the dummy grid whilst waiting to be released and it was idling well and temperature and fluids all good so we rolled out once given the green light. Upon accelerating onto the track I did not know but it spat Welsh plug number 2 straight out and dumped water all way from turn 1 to turn 2. I was concentrating on watching temperature gauge and getting heat in brakes etc so did not see the trail but as I turned into turn 2 the car went straight around and I knew straight away that I had water onto brand new slicks. I gathered it back up and temp gauge was still at 80 so I nursed it back into the garage with gauge only getting to 120 and at least this time we had steam so were confident we had not most likely hurt the newly machined head this time.

So we were onto Welsh plug number 3 and more consults with those who know more and we did as instructed but also made a retainer and drilled the small self tapping holes in block just as a precaution. I had to seek special permission which was granted to run from rear of grid in race 1 as I had not Qualified.

Even though we had not hurt the head the car was not quite running as crisply as it was nor could we seem to get the timing in a sweat spot but time was up and it was off to race 1 from rear of grid

Here is race 1 dummy Grid ready to roll out

HN9y360l.jpg

Car was behaving itself on the out lap so I fell into position for the rolling start and away we went. I was very tentative in first couple of laps waiting for something to let go but started to get a little comfortable and settle into something of a race head space but it started to backfire on deceleration at top of track and I ran the full length of the straight and headed to turn 2 on my last lap. Coming out of turn 2 the fire went out in the engine and I pulled it safely off the track out of the way and had to wait for a flat tow back to pits. The car would turn but not fire. Back in the pits we got the car to fire and it ran for approx 3 seconds before stalling again with lots of blew smoke so we knew it was game over for the weekend. Our guess is the heat on Friday damaged the bottom end to and we have a standing bet that it will be piston 4.

So we packed up everything but the car and cleaned her up so at least we could leave her on display on Sunday as we knew the original driver was going to be at the track and of a number of people who wanted to see the car.

The car got a good reception and due to the controversy back in 1979 surrounding the car people either really love it or hate it. By far more love it than hate it but let the haters hate I say.

We were approached on Saturday if we would be happy to have Spencer Martin the original Driver and Peter Williamson the driver of the Toyota Celica who had the very first in car camera installed for the Bathurst race (world first too if not mistaken) in which he commentated as he went when possible use the car as a backdrop for the interview. This footage is found on one of the early pages of this build and during this commentary he makes comments like "heres that Bloody Volvo" or something similar. It was a great interview to observe and there was plenty of media attention so who knows what will make print or the DVD of the event.

Spencer got to see the car for the first time since 1979 and we got him to sign the glovebox for us as well as our display board. He is an absolute gentleman.

Here is the car Cleaned up ready for Sunday display but no racing

yoMLUn0l.jpg

Spencer Martin Left and Peter Williamson right in front of the car

nG1IVY9l.jpg

During interview with Spencer and Peter

JQzq2h9l.jpg

Spencer signing the glove box for us

2M1KcO1l.jpg

An overview from back of track to pits and main grandstand

CpRT2ypl.jpg

We will gather our breath over next couple of weeks and then fit the spare engine for the moment whilst we figure out what is legal for engine modifications under the rules and set about building a motor.

The car back home awaiting some attention

a>

Huge Thanks to Kris for spinning the spanners and to the huge assistance from Phil and Daniel at Peninsular Engine Services in Brookvale Sydney for their advice and machine shop services. These guys know their Volvos so if you are looking for someone in Sydney for Volvo engine rebuilding these guys are worth a chat.

Last edited:
Well we finally got around to getting the car off the trailer and spending a bit of time sorting out a plan of attack.

We have started to gather information on the rules for what modifications we are allowed and possible suppliers for a purpose built engine. This is ongoing.

The car actually started and ran with no smoke but running on 3 Cylinders. For giggles we performed a compression test on it and checked the plugs when removed. Cylinder 4 definitely oiling up and we had compression of 140,130,130,120 on one through 4. When we pull the engine down the issue will be revealed for no 4.

In the meantime we checked over our spare engine that we intend to drop into the car until the engine is finished. We already know it has really good and consistent compression on all 4 cylinders but we are going to drop a new timing belt on as well as changeover the water pump and everything else from the current Engine. The 405 head has been reconditioned and it is running a H Cam already. Once we have it in the car we are going to take it to the track for a practice day to get a feel on how it compares to the engine we started with as well as check our lap times. Not an exact science but will give us a sense on how quick we need to get purpose built Engine done as it is not really budgeted for at present.

We also checked the 03rd block we have and plan to use for the purpose built engine and measured each bore. It is a virgin original B23E cast 12/78 engine so should be a good base to start from for the bottom end.

Would it be legal to fit a float switch to the coolant reservoir hooked to an idiot light?
Altronics in Perth have a suitable unit for about $35. Instant notification of a drop in coolant level.

Brad - We are going to hook up an idiot light for Temp after our experience.

In terms of Welsh/Freeze/Core plug issue from experience we believe that we were being too gentle and not taking it from concave to convex far enough but we already have the items below on their way for Insurance which is a lot like your picture. In fact at the track we McGivered a similar setup on Welsh Plug instal number 3 after checking TurboBricks and it stayed in but the damage had already been done. We only changed one of the factory installed plugs in between race meets because it had a very slight weep. The replacement plug is the one that let go twice. In hindsight we would just leave it be as it was only a couple of drops after each race.

Here is our 3rd attempt which was done at the track and held. We used a piece of metal bracket the right width to space behind the brace to hold it in place as well as a 2 part fast drying epoxy on the advice of a Jaguar engine rebuilder who rebuilds a lot of 50 plus year old blocks that get a little brittle and uses it for welsh/core/freeze plugs. He even uses the 2 part epoxy for rocker cover gaskets etc which is very interesting

Picture lost due to Photobucket scam - Apologies

Heres the link to what we have coming

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=286724

Thanks for the practical ideas guys. Much appreciated

Peter

Last edited:
Brad - We are going to hook up an idiot light for Temp after our experience.

The only problem with that is by the time the light comes on damage has already been done. When you dump the coolant the temp sender in the head suddenly has nothing surrounding its sensitive bit to transmit the temperature. It heats up with conducted heat from the head through its threads, but it's _slow_. Some way of monitoring coolant level is much quicker.

I've seen pressure sensors in the cooling system, which is a cool way of doing it. I just put a cheap float switch in the overflow tank. If the coolant loses 6-500ml the light comes on.

Anyway, I've been watching this (and your stuff on the other forum). Takes me back to my yoof when I used to go to Wanneroo and watch the Volvos thunder around with all the other fun cars that made up the Australian touring cars (before Holden and Ford had them outlawed because they couldn't keep up).

I'm torn. The TM4 is just an overheat alarm, but it's adjustable and bolts to the motor itself. The enginesaver is a coolant loss alarm. Potentially the coolant loss alarm is going to be much quicker to react, but then the TM4 will pick up overheating from other sources (such as timing or fuel issues). Either is better than what you have now :)
The enginesaver is the equivalent to the float switch. If you'd had that on the track you'd have known within a second or so that you'd had a catastrophic failure and been able to shut down before you'd even seen a temperature spike.
Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda.. hindsight is always 20/20 and it's easy for me to sit here and comment from the comfort of my office 3,500 km away.

Leaning towards the TM4 myself. Quite like being able to keep track of the head/engine temp regardless of the alarm feature.

Yep hindsight is 20/20 but you certainly learn more this way.

We finally got round to pulling the engine out and swapping over to our spare. Pulled a late night/early morning session (2.30am finish) and managed to get the broken engine out and the spare back in with everything hooked up and just have to weld a broken exhaust mount and fit the exhaust and change the oil and filter and we can fire her back into life.

Purpose built race engine still in planning stages but we have suspension items sussed and should get within the next month to allow for a shakedown prior to years end.

Thread cleaned up due to lost photos from Photobuckets rip off attempt - Apologies

We kicked on after this and refitted to the car etc. But shes ready for an oil change and exhaust refit and fire up.

Next stop new front and rear springs.

Last edited:
Well we got the engine fired up and tuned and timing set etc. Just have to replace two Exhaust manifold studs which have stripped out. We are going to move up from the current M8 size to a M10 studs by drilling and retapping. Have bought a complete set of M10 studs for the spares kit which will be packed with the drill bit and the matching M10 Tap just in case we ever get stuck at the track.

Car is off to have roof repainted to fix a stuff up from putting car together at start of year. One of the sunvisor screws was too long and pushed a dent into the roof. Oh the simple things can be so annoying.

Thanks to DVS we have new front springs, rear springs and adjustable rear spring perch on the way which will be fitted up as soon as they arrive. Thanks to some sound advice from a couple of flat trackers here, double checked with some trusted experienced Volvo track competitors here in Australia we had target spring rates. Even though we have not yet found a source to get to our target front spring rate the DVS new offering gets us much closer. Remember we cant run coil overs so we are stuck with standard front struts and 5 Inch springs.

Car is booked in late in November to run at Lakeside to shakedown the new engine and suspension items in preparation for Philip Island Historics in March 2016.

We are also fitting up one of these http://www.enginewatchdog.com/tm4.html and we are also going to link the low oil pressure alarm option to it. We will have Engine head temperature monitored and both it and low oil pressure on a loud alarm. Going to mount it in one of the standard Volvo accessory trays that sit above the radio so long as we can find it in our shed.

The car also got another mention in the latest Muscle Car Magazine which was very cool. One of the benefits of being that "Rotton Volvo". For the magazine they interviewed Peter Williamson the driver of the camera car and voice in the attached link - See 3:59 mark of footage and Spencer Martin the driver of the Volvo. In listening in on the interview Peter Williamson was not happy with the Co Driver David McKay's reaction to an incident in Practice on the Thursday more so than the attributes of the 242. The car was controversial before the race and during the race as it was running on road tyres which is estimated to have cost it over 10 seconds a lap. It was also termed the mobile chicane by one of the top drivers. That said it finished the race in 20th position due to not missing a beat all day on 3 out of the 4 original tyres. A great testament to the Volvo product and following the race there were some converts. I tell you one thing for a privateer car it is well remembered by the Public and that is evident every time we take it to the track. We never fail to get someone come up and say hey why are you not still running the original Uniroyals.

http://youtu.be/t8-MekEsk3c

The current issue magzine

Thread cleaned and photos lost due to Photobuckets extortion attempt

Last edited:
Last night we got to and changed the two troublesome 8mm exhaust manifold studs out for 2 by 10mm studs by drilling it out to 9mm and running a 10mm tap. All good and ready for next weekend.

We also got the TM4 temperature monitor and alert fitted up and we also made use of the Oil pressure warning feature as well.Took about 40mins to fit up. Instructions excellent.

When we fitted up the R sport dash we put in the dual pole 10 Bar sender which allows feed to the gauge from 1 pole and the other is wired to both the alarm feature and the EGR light on the dash.

We fitted it under the dash on far right of the picture directly below the kill switch and we have good vision from drivers seat. Note not fitted in this picture

Thread cleaned and photos lost due to Photobuckets extortion attempt

And this is it on start up - If you don't start within 10 seconds the low oil alarm will sound as the Oil light is lit up on dash. Alarm sounds until you hit the key and as soon as oil light goes out it stops.

Once its running you get temperature of engine. We have sender hooked to rear rocker cover bolt above cylinder 4

So now we have the alarm feature for Oil Pressure and High temperature which is not reliant on water in the cooling system

Last edited:
Shakedown been and gone on spare engine. 3 laps in and blew head gasket. Good news is the new temp alarm works a treat so avoided cooking engine.

We have pulled the trigger on a purpose built N/A engine which will be built for a local meet in February next year before we haul the car 2000kms each way to Phillip Island in March. At this stage pretty sure cam will be KG8 with associated headwork and a bottom end refresh. We have a 1979 virgin bore B23E bottom end and a number of 405 heads with best one to be used. Kjet CIS has to stay too. We have to play within the rules and engines are inspected and sealed. Will dyno the car post rebuild so we will finally get a read on power. Not expecting huge gains but 30-50 extra ponies would be nice. Will be interesting.

Will keep you posted.

Back