• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 760 T5 'Mr. Grey'

ddvries04

Volvo 760 'Mr. Grey' from V6 to 24V to T5...

Hi guys,

Here the story of how an old and rusty Volvo took possession of my life (and money)...
Since I was an little boy my father always drove an Volvo. First an 850GLT then an red 850R (at) and since 2004 an 850R (mt). I really loved the boxy shape of the cars and the sound and performance of the 5-cylindre engines. From that moment I knew I wanted to have an Volvo when I was older. The 850/x70 classic models were my favourite ones. A few years ago an colleague/friend of mine (Tjek at this forum) bought and old Volvo 245, swapped and bmw 325i engine in it (http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=329198) and he drove it like he stole it. The shape of the car combined with the screaming 6-cylindre engine encouraged my love for the older Volvo's.
Unfortunately he sold the 245 and the Volvo storm layed down.

I passed my driving test about 2 years ago, picked up my driving license and my dad bought an cheap citroen saxo, rode a few months in it and then I decided that I wanted to have an Volvo. I preferred the 850 models but the taxes in Holland are too high for and poor student like me. And I started searching for an 240 or 740. Saw a few cars but they weren't that good, my bike broke down and I stopped searching for an old Volvo. A few months later I was checking some dutch volvo forums and I found an 1984 Volvo 760 with the crappy V6 engine. Pm'ed the owner of the car and he sold/gave the car to me in exchange for an bottle of whiskey. The bottle of whiskey wasn't very expensive so I gave the man 2 bottles of whiskey. The car needed some work, waterpump leaked and some other little things. Drove it back home, bought an new waterpump (wasn't the cheapest because of the V6 engine), rode it a day and my radiator appeared to leak. An radiator for an phase 1 V6 isn't available any more so my dad, the mastes mechanic, decided to fit an 850R radiator in it. Ordered the radiator, fabricated some brackets an within a few hours the radiator fitted.

The 760 when I picked it up:
Waf8S6Z.jpg

dv7S6Aa.jpg

iMTmft2.jpg

Almost immediately I wanted to tint the rear windows, paint the grill black, lower the car and change the wheels so that's what I did. Cutted the springs some coils and bought some 30mm wheelspacers to fit the wheels.
HpBTyqP.jpg

SvrCFeb.jpg

NUj5r6O.jpg

Drove a few weeks in it, the car didn't have much power, and was more an of an cruiser and then I found out that the car had an leaking headgasket... It's an common problem of the V6 models but I wasn't going to replace the gasket because of the horrible engine. Compared an bmw engine swap with an t5 swap and then I figured o
B3GlJZn.jpg
ut that an 3.0 6-cylindre from an 960 was the best option. Bought an '95 960 with 400k km's for the engine and wiring harness, bought an 2.5 engine with m90 gearbox and clutch pedals and stuff and my dad and I started thinking about what to swap.
sNqQhnK.jpg

Gathered information from some forums and then came with the 'great' idea to swap the whole interior, engine and wiring harness. Because the cars would be 90% the same...well, that wasn't true. Swapped a lot more parts, swapped almost the whole firewall and upper side of the dash. Swapped the hole dash, entire interior, wiring harness and engine and we did it! Also bought an 1041 (g80) rear axle and lowering springs and fitted the whole thing. Turned out the car had a little bit of rust under the carpet but that's all fixed.
yAiQsB8.jpg
Sokrr2N.jpg
y6BxYT7.jpg
[/IMG]
0TMaITW.jpg
kC747qq.jpg
Kq4YlEa.jpg
HSsdcHu.jpg
LgfI0JD.jpg
xqDLArQ.jpg
Kq4YlEa.jpg

YBiqo6h.jpg
mwccTDO.jpg
NjYovAg.jpg
K9Btqg2.jpg

zTY5eIA.jpg
iAUeLnN.jpg
UurOPko.jpg
1gs2XE9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZSMyRrs.jpg[/IMG]
zfUo4S3.jpg

Next to my mates 245 with M50B25:
JYaO8Ly.jpg

The car needed to be finished before I my vacation. Well it was ready before it....a week. Did a little testdrive and almost everything worked so it was ready to go.
Went to Germany with it and apart from filling some oil the car handled it al well.
En6bVZ9.jpg
zv0Joj2.jpg
NtdwiGS.jpg

Went again to Germany a few weeks later, this time I visited the famous Nurburgring. It was an really awesome experience but the 3.0 was slooooow. The car was shaking a lot when I was braking so I replaced the brake discs with some 320mm V50 T5 and disks. Was braking a lot better now.
o3wBlYr.jpg
CuWkkbl.jpg
pm77uxe.jpg
Igu3daA.jpg

The G80 dit his work too.
fTju4Ze.jpg

So when I came home I started thinking about an new engine swap. The 3.0 loved some oil every few kilometres and it was kinda slow. So I bought an armoured S70 T5 with the low mileage of 200k km's. Not bad for a car that's almost 20 years old.
pGQVMlh.jpg

1JstxIS.jpg
B4bvWVT.jpg

Drove it for a day and then started to disassemble the car. Was only going to use the engine and wiring harness.
q49HS94.jpg
JLJr301.jpg

I'm already working for an hour on this post. So for now it's enough I think. Later today I will post some more about the swaps.

Hope you guys like to for now!

Last edited:
Nice project!
I guess i hear about this project via via. Really cool to see a 740 T5 in NL. I really want one too, but it is a too big project for me. I hope to find a 740 t5 project car once.

Hope to see it in action @Elandrun.

ps. the 245 with beemer engine is very cool too, saw it for sale a couple of years ago.

One more go?s T5 ...are you going to use the original ecu or are you going to go aftermarket?
What else are you planing on doing to the engine?
What gearbox do you plan to use?

One more go?s T5 ...are you going to use the original ecu or are you going to go aftermarket?
What else are you planing on doing to the engine?
What gearbox do you plan to use?

I'm using the original S70 ECU, it's been customised to fit the Volvo coil-on-plugs. Luckily I already had the 960 wiring harness and moronic 4.4 ecu so it wasn't that hard to change it all.
Engine is staying almost stock, I'm having a custom engine management, 3'' exhaust, me7 inlet manifold and japanifold exhaust manifold. Should be doing around the 300hp (crank), that's more than enough for me.
Gearbox is an stock M90 gearbox, already used it with the 3.0 24v engine.

Thats about the same as mine, I too am using the original ecu but with autotech stage 3 chip, t19 turbo, blue R injectors, "japan" exhaust manifold, GLT cams, ported head ...it should give some were around 350+ hp on the crank.
I too am using a M90H ( v90 or 945 full pressure turbo ) if you have one of the later models you will have the M90 that has the reinforced stop ring on the third gear sync ring.

Are you going to use the 850R clutch or going for sinter clutch?

Back