• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Eco-Bricks - 35+mpg club

ok; found out that my real life KM are 98.742% of what my car says (so if my car says i drove 1000km i drove 987,42km)

I'm taking pictures of the fuelling pump and how many km's I've driven and it's looking good for that badge :D

ok; found out that my real life KM are 98.742% of what my car says (so if my car says i drove 1000km i drove 987,42km)

I'm taking pictures of the fuelling pump and how many km's I've driven and it's looking good for that badge :D

My brother got a flat 50mpg in our stock '92 245 with an m47 shifting at 2 grand and never going over 55mph, throwing it in neutral on every decline and hill and coasting when possible.

My brother got a flat 50mpg in our stock '92 245 with an m47 shifting at 2 grand and never going over 55mph, throwing it in neutral on every decline and hill and coasting when possible.

I believe the injectors turn off if you coast down declines while still in gear but if your in neutral it goes in idle mode. At least that's what my narrowband AF gauge told me before.

I have never managed more than 27 in my 240 in mostly freeway driving during my commute to work. This was in a 86 240 that was almost totally stock in cool weather (no a/c) and I drove it easy. Typically it was about 26 and after the +T it has been 23 mpg week in and week out.

it's better to put it in a higher gear and let it roll down the hill than idling it

by the way, it's looking really good for the 35+mgp club (or the <6,75l/100km club)

First i was like

but then i did this

and then i was like

so i drove (913*98.742%) 901.5 KM on 57.99Litres of diesel.

Meaning i do 6.436L /100km.

OR i drove 560.172 miles and needed 15.3193 gallons to fill it up
wich means i did 36.566 mpg.
But i had a lot of HEAVY traffic and calls from the FD (mich means i drive 1.5miles on an avarage of 9 to 7 mpg)

Last edited:
Not in the 35mpg club, but I've got my 940 running really well lately. My last few fill-ups are showing ~27mpg on my commute which is about 90% highway miles. NA's got the taller rear end so at 70mpg I'm at almost 3k rpm. A different rear end might put me at 30mpg on the highway. Still, I think 27mpg out of a slab-sided stock 940 with a ancient engine design isn't bad. 245's seem to be the poop when it comes to mileage though, on highway trips my old 88 used to get around 30mpg without even trying.

Fuelly

Fuelly is a site that tracks your gas mileage over time, helping you calculate fuel expenses as you drive.

Fuelly was built by Matt and Paul in a little over two weeks during July 2008. The idea started with building a MPG history calculator app, but making it web-based and multi-user so you could compare cars and drivers across the system. New feature suggestions are always welcome in the Forum.

bump for eco-bricks

our '86 745 managed to get 36.7 mpg on a trip from clearwater,fl to perry,fl
no receipts saved,but it is possible.

'86 745 m46,n/a lh2.2 kept in od 90% of the time cool night tires at 40psi had high beams on because of deer and averaged 45-55 mph the whole way through,no a/c windows down.

i put in $35 when we got back and was astonished to see the pump clicked at $18..
fwiw the car averages ~18-21 city

averaged about 31.5 over a 200 mile stretch last week.

89 245, aw70, no a/c, windows down, 55-60, about 80 degrees, heat on because it was overheating.

the rest of the 1100 mile trip it was between 27-28.

averaged about 31.5 over a 200 mile stretch last week.

Distance is too short....each fuel station can have different pump pressure, which affects when pump shuts off.

AW70 - It would require flatish land with wind to your tail, and 89 Octane fuel to hit 30-mpg.

At 55 mph for your vehicle, torque converter's stall speed would be reached at that speed range...which is where peak fuel efficiency would be.

With rebuilt B23F using Rex/Regina ignition/fuel system, using 89 Octane fuel, with AW71L transmission in 93-944, I average 25-27 mpg on slight hilly terrain at 55 mph doing mostly hwy miles, some city. On flat ground, I suspect around 30 mpg in no wind conditions.

Distance is too short....each fuel station can have different pump pressure, which affects when pump shuts off.

AW70 - It would require flatish land with wind to your tail, and 89 Octane fuel to hit 30-mpg.

At 55 mph for your vehicle, torque converter's stall speed would be reached at that speed range...which is where peak fuel efficiency would be.

With rebuilt B23F using Rex/Regina ignition/fuel system, using 89 Octane fuel, with AW71L transmission in 93-944, I average 25-27 mpg on slight hilly terrain at 55 mph doing mostly hwy miles, some city. On flat ground, I suspect around 30 mpg in no wind conditions.

it was on flat ground with a tailwind of about 15-20mph. it was in missouri so it was close to 10% ethanol additives so it likely was 89 octane.

regardless, it never averaged below 27mpg which is pretty good for the old girl with 318k miles.

hmm i don't drive that eco... when i bought my car it was doing 12.7 mpg.... old b20 on LPG :-D after some adjustments i was doing 19.7 mpg... i hope when the new engine is in and the ECU installed i can go up to at least 31,1 mpg on lpg.... and that in an old 242 :)

In my Volvo 360, i have a b230fb which averages 30mpg. This engine has the vx3 cam. Should I switch to a Y, M or even T cam or should I keep the vx3 which has the newest design?

Ofcourse the 9.3:1 compression isn't helping but I will change that.

Back