• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Not quite normal 245.

suterman

Thought I'd start a thread to document this thing,

I'm taking the goodies off the GLT I have and swapping them onto this 245.

I have a cunning plan to change the engine from a b200f to a stage 0 b230ft.

Heres the progress so far.

Its a 1990 245, a bit rusty round the boot and rear arches.

A bit of elbow grease and it will come up nice.
DSC04091.jpg

DSC04092.jpg

DSC04093.jpg

Looking at the rusty tailgate panel.
DSC04098.jpg

DSC04099.jpg

DSC04100.jpg

DSC04101.jpg

Leaf blockers
DSC04102.jpg

More rust
DSC04103.jpg

DSC04104.jpg

DSC04105.jpg

DSC04106.jpg

Anyone know where to get repair panels?

I am thinking of leaving off the rear bumper and making a smoothed panel to fit.

The car whos suspension is being used.
DSC04107.jpg

Went over to Kinver tonight and got the old beast started up an moved out from under the trees, after a jump and a few cranks it started up and ran fine.

We parked it over the pit where the work will commence, didn't get any pictures, not much to see yet but will be going over Tuesday and more will happen then.

In the mean time I picked this up from Griz.

Its a stock 530. 270,000 miles on it.
DSCF0907.jpg

DSCF0913.jpg

The shim clearance was between 0.040mm and 0.050mm so just under half way to needing re-shimming.

The usual flattened valve hushers.

DSCF0925.jpg

Made a spring compressor using a large F clamp, a short piece of pipe and an old valve bucket. It works better that the old one I had (G-clamp0 and is easy for me to use by myself.

DSCF0937.jpg

DSCF0926.jpg

Gave it a bit of a wash in the parts washer and then hosed it off and dried it infront of the heater.

DSCF0931.jpg

DSCF0932.jpg

DSCF0933.jpg

DSCF0934.jpg

Using a sharpening stone to clean the face.

DSCF0938.jpg

Thats better
DSCF0946.jpg

Combustion chamber cleaned up
DSCF0942.jpg

leaned up the exhaust bowel and runners some more to get the carbon off.
DSC04238.jpg

Then lapped in the valves, they wern't too bad but I'm sure lapping will be worthwhile.
Exhaust valve before lapping (I have cleaned the carbon off the valve in the picture already)
DSC04236.jpg

The same valve after..
DSC04243.jpg

Same with the valve seats in the head.
Before..
DSC04245.jpg

After..
DSC04244.jpg

The Valve train showing three completed valves.
DSC04247.jpg

I complete the lapping today but didn't have time to reassemble the head as I had to go off with griz on a treasure hunt. I will try and get it done tomorrow night so I can wrap it up to keep it clean until I need it.

Whats in here?
DSC04251.jpg

Whatever it is, its dirty.
DSC04250-1.jpg

Heeaaavee, hump, ngggnnng, urrgh, oooof!

Phew!
DSC04253.jpg

Its a 1995 b230fk, it belongs to the head, came off griz's Komfort waggon.

It needs new pistons, a crank grind and rebore to 2nd oversize.

More to come soon.

are you sure you need second oversize ?

ive got a 1st oversize penta block here - all yours .

From what I can tell, the block and piston are not a good fit, (dont forget its done 270,000 miles)

I admit I dont have the best measuring equipment and am no engineer.

I Want a new (fully overhauled) engine to play with that wont leak, smoke or burn oil.

I am going to order an oversize piston set and give them and the crank to a machine shop and have the block machined to match.

I slipped a (0.05mm) feeler down the side of the piston in the bore and its was well over the wear limit (0.03mm)

If I'm doing it wrong tell me because I dont want to buy new parts if I dont have to.

From what I can tell, the block and piston are not a good fit, (dont forget its done 270,000 miles)

I admit I dont have the best measuring equipment and am no engineer.

I Want a new (fully overhauled) engine to play with that wont leak, smoke or burn oil.

I am going to order an oversize piston set and give them and the crank to a machine shop and have the block machined to match.

I slipped a (0.05mm) feeler down the side of the piston in the bore and its was well over the wear limit (0.03mm)

If I'm doing it wrong tell me because I dont want to buy new parts if I dont have to.
If you a slipping a feeler guage down the side of the piston from the top the pistons are a little smaller above the top ring than further down the piston I believe.
Rob

Edit: Try volvo for panels. I am not being funny they provided some for my 245 and they were very good quality (as you would expect) and they were also as cheap as the pattern parts.
Rob

If you a slipping a feeler guage down the side of the piston from the top the pistons are a little smaller above the top ring than further down the piston I believe.
Rob

Edit: Try volvo for panels. I am not being funny they provided some for my 245 and they were very good quality (as you would expect) and they were also as cheap as the pattern parts.
Rob

Hmmm, but the piston doesn't ever sit centrally in the bore so how can I measure the mean gap?

I'll see what happens with what I have got first and see how it looks.

your only ever measuring side clearance when you do that (nothing wrong with that of course)

best way is take said block to machinist and get him to measure it , and use that against the volvo specs .dont buy anything until you have it measured , not that only boring first oversize would be a lot cheaper - just makes sense unless you want the extra capacity to stay at 1st oversize.

i was up at the workshop today , ive got a std/std crank and bearings , a decent penta block , and a load of shell bearings i forgot to look at for rob !!!

Pete, can you bring the lines for the turbo just incase mine dont fit. have you got a spare IAV and bracket also? Cheers.

I have ordered the brakes and pistons, they should be arriving this week, then I can get the machining done:)

I also did some work in the shed

Dirty
DSC04267.jpg

Clean
DSC04281.jpg

couldn't help myself.
DSC04283.jpg

Head reassembled apart from the cam.
DSC04282.jpg

More progress soon.

Drain attempt number 1

I got a 1"- 3/4" reducer and a barbed 45* barbed pipe fitting.

Milled the reducer down to a perfect fit in the return boss and cut out a groove for an O-ring, with some hydraulic sealant it should be oil tight (fingers crossed)
DSC04287.jpg

hmmm

its a bit big.
DSC04290.jpg

I can connect this to the original pipe now though.
DSC04289.jpg

more to come.

New stuff arrived today!:)

New Cross drilled Zimmerman discs all round, nice pads and some nice new flexy lines.
DSC04292.jpg

DSC04293.jpg

Retaining pins and springs
DSC04295.jpg

B230ft pistons
DSC04294.jpg

Now I have to get the block off to the Machine shop and give the shed a good clean in preperation for the rebuild. Until the engine comes back I have to concentrate on the car itself. Giving it a thorough clean, getting the suspension off and cleaning up the rusty bits. I will hopefully be able to get a good day in this weekend.

Back