• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

exhaust studs manifold and manifold to header pipe

jjona5

I have a 1990 NA volvo 240. I'm about to replace the header pipe and exhaust manifold gasket and I want to go ahead and order new studs for the manifold(the 8 that go into the head and the 3 that go into the manifold to hold the header. I read a thread on here saying the header bolts are m10x1.25 is that right? if so how long are they? The 8 are m8 x 1.25 x 45mm I'm pretty sure. I want to order stainless with hex head/allen ends.

If you are removing studs with the head/engine in the car, you are going against the odds of snapping one off. Just one stud snaps and the head comes off and goes to the machine shop.

-Lazarus

I know I used ARP 400-8013 and I ordered 2 sets for 1 head, and liked it. I found them appropriate in length on both sides (for a stock N/A exhaust head pipe and LH2.4 intake.)
The exhaust side works like a dream, the intake side is a tiny bit more hassle removing the 12-pt nuts without a swivel. If you wanted to spend less, I'd say using them on the exhaust side only would be a good move.
For the down pipe, I used about $60 and the McMaster-Carr catalog to assemble stainless studs/bolts coming down from the manifold and sets of stainless steel spherical washers to deal with the non-flat surfaces the nuts bear upon. The results are no leaks, no bending fasteners during tightening, and the ability to remove and reuse all of the above when removing the head for whatever things I've later removed the head to do.

Back