• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Eco-Bricks - 35+mpg club

I'm going to put up the numbers from my Trip to France tomorrow, when I've done some number crunching on with the GPS/Trip/Fuel put in.

Here's how my car looked on the way back from France, not got any from the UK - France run with 2 kayaks on the roof, and a boot loaded to the window line. On the way back I had no rear shocks, as they'd blown (Monroe Load Levellers) whilst out there, level seemed to be no different so will get them sorted soon.
n502205855_1404189_5256.jpg

Was showing 32 mpg (UK gallons) on 98Ron, and 35mpg on 95Ron. Went for 98Ron as it was only 1 or 2 cents more in France as opposed to 10p more per litre

On my last tank of gas I was able to get 32mpg.

This is about half city driving, short trips (<30miles) 70 on the highway

NO front airdam.
NOsplash pan.

I'm thinking with an e-fan and these things replaced, I should be able to do 35mpg on the highway without a problem.

I'm also going to see if I can advance timing much without issues (turbo w' N/A pistons)

I've calibrated the speedometer w' GPS, +/- 1mph between 60 and 80. I haven't calibrated the odo yet, but will soon.

Old thread, but I feel the need to bump it. :p
I was getting 40+ in my '90 245 on my recent trip back from Portland. Lh2.4, Completely stock B230 with a fresh tune-up, M47, and 3.31 rear end. The front air dam and splash pan were in place, and I was running 91+ octane in an attempt to keep pinging down while crossing the mojave.
For you nay-sayers, I'll get some actual gas receipts and mapquest maps or similar when I go back up in July.

a wagon running lean on flat land with a tailwind... possible for sure. Not sure if thats really the point of the eco bricks club though.

Ok, lets see the receipts.

:roll:
Once again, I will get you guys scans of receipts the next time I have a chance to take a roadtrip.
I was pretty thrilled that some simple changes (also running 185/75/14s at 45psi and shifting below 2k) to a wagon I just bought got me great gas mileage.

No need to get rude, guys. If you don't like what I have to say, I'll keep it to myself, but it was suggested to me that I post this here. :)

But it goes to show that it's not impossible, even without mods, to get over 30mpg easily with a well tuned brick and some proper driving skills. Hell, I just got 25.7mpg with 3 passengers and 200lbs in the trunk with my RSI Stage 1 NA cam in my untouched(way too much duration), low compression autotragic car last weekend.

:roll:
Once again, I will get you guys scans of receipts the next time I have a chance to take a roadtrip.
I was pretty thrilled that some simple changes (also running 185/75/14s at 45psi and shifting below 2k) to a wagon I just bought got me great gas mileage.

No need to get rude, guys. If you don't like what I have to say, I'll keep it to myself, but it was suggested to me that I post this here. :)
If you got 40mpg out of a completely stock 240 thats great. But you can't just make a random claim like that without any proof and expect people to not be skeptical. From the original post in this thread:
Ok, lets get some rules and test criteria figured out...

• 35mpg highway
  • mods must be permanent (no duct tape and cardboard)
  • must have a planned route with gas receipts (times and miles)

We need to convince Mobil to bring back the
Mobil Economy Run.

In the 1960 Mobilgas Economy Run, a Custom two-door sedan (Rambler American) returned 28.35 miles per US gallon (8.297 L/100 km; 34.05 mpg<sub><small>-imp</small></sub>) over a route of more than 2,000 miles (3,219 km), finishing first in the compact class.

Further proof of the American's exceptional fuel economy came when an overdrive-equipped car driven coast to coast under NASCAR's watchful eyes averaged 38.9 miles per US gallon (6.05 L/100 km; 46.7 mpg<sub><small>-imp</small></sub>).

However, the most astounding demonstration was the record set in the Pure Oil Economy Trials, another NASCAR-supervised event: 51.281 miles per US gallon (4.5868 L/100 km; 61.586 mpg<sub><small>-imp</small></sub>), which AMC sagely noted, "No car owner should expect to approach in everyday driving."<sup id="cite_ref-12" class="reference">[13]</sup>

see numbers from a 240 with a full bellypan and other aero mods.

Having the right rear-end gearing, transmission, and RPM will greatly assist...I've heard that RPM over 2200 is wasting fuel, as a generalization for gasoline engines...the reason given is due to combustion efficiency. It would be interesting to hear some stats on this topic...what RPM as function of speed/mpg.

For big truck diesels, around 1350 RPM @ 55 mph...after 55 mph, wind drag effects come into play, on a still day.

That Rambler American tidbit I inserted a few posts back was indicating they used overdrive manual transmission...hence, driving the RPM down...it was a six banger being used, which means torque curve is better at a lower RPM range than say a 4 banger...which means you can drive at a lower RPM with better torque, and save fuel. For a 12 banger, I might add, it has one heck of a long torque curve, starting at lower rpm with higher torque.

Having the right rear-end gearing, transmission, and RPM will greatly assist...I've heard that RPM over 2200 is wasting fuel, as a generalization for gasoline engines...the reason given is due to combustion efficiency. It would be interesting to hear some stats on this topic...what RPM as function of speed/mpg.
The reason isn't because of combustion efficiency, the reason is that the engine is spinning faster, so it uses more fuel. Combustion efficiency will be at its peak a lot higher in the rev range than 2200rpm on almost all gasoline engines. So, you have to find the point at which the increase in fuel consumption from engine speed is greater than the increase in combustion efficiency, and aim for an engine speed below that.

Back