• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Igor's '60 PV544 Tarmac Rally Car

igor

Fika?
To be fair, it's mine and my Dad's. Just had a fantastic week at the Targa NZ! I'm gonna start putting up some info and pics about the car and it's specs.

Will be looking for feedback on how to make it more competitive, so let me know what you guys think. In the meantime, check this.

I41N0054.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I've got a few tapes to go through. I'll try and pick out some good sections and post them up.

An embarrassing clip can be found here!

I remember reading about your car (It is the picture in your avatar, right?) a few years back and falling in love with the PV444/544 series.

Well, in Targa over here almost anything goes. They'll just bump you up a class according to the latest year that a modification can be attributed to. So you'll see a lot of of older cars with newer drivetrains.

That said, we like to keep things period and accordingly, we're in Historic, which is anything up to and including 1964.
So any mods which could have been done up to 1964 keep us in our class.

hmm. so like if (for example) bilsteins we'rent sold until 1965, you couldn't run them?

how does that work for pieces that are home made? welders have been around a long time, i'd think you could argue that someone in '64 could have made chassis braces and stuff for your car :rofl:

It's really down to the scrutineers' discretion. If original suspension mounting points are used you probably won't have a problem. We have had people in the past querying our 122 front discs - but that's legit as far as we're concerned.

In terms of bracing etc. I think you could go to town as far as that's concerned. Obviously there's a cage in there, so that's a pretty hefty brace already. I think once you start modifying the chassis significantly they'll probably bump you up.

There are provisions in the rules for composite panels where the originals can't be used due to scarcity. PVs are pretty scarce here so thats certianly something worth looking into. Especially with the pretty much "bolt-on" guards, hood and front panels. There are Healeys in our class with fibreglass bits for example. Carbon fibre PV bits anyone??

Well if you're going to go with fibre bits, why don't you widen the track while you're at it? That reminds me, you're not still running the original axle are you?

Other than that lose the SU's.. and consider seeing if you can get away with a 2000+cc in there.

i've been slowly working on fibre PV bits, taking forever though, silly compound curves and students time availability.

Well if you're going to go with fibre bits, why don't you widen the track while you're at it? That reminds me, you're not still running the original axle are you?

Other than that lose the SU's.. and consider seeing if you can get away with a 2000+cc in there.
Well, I dunno about composite bits just yet, but it's in the back of my mind.

Axle has been changed to something much beefier with an LSD. It's great not having to worry about the weak tapered half-shafts any more, though it shows up limitations elsewhere!

IMG_1990.jpg

Carbs are twin Weber DCOEs, 42s at the moment, but we may go to 45s or 48s at a later stage. We're getting away with a B20 at the moment, as it's essentially a big-bore B18.

Last edited:
Yeah, I went in too hot and took the wrong approach for that corner.

Dunlop tyres are mandatory for the event. We ran DZ03Gs for the first time this year, a (barely!) road legal Tarmac compound. Of course I'm only comparing it to a road tyre but the grip is astounding!

IMG_2007.jpg

Size is 195/50R15 on our 15x5.5 Minilites.

Last edited:
Pics online now!

Un-watermarked pics coming soon, then I'll post them here once I've figured out some hosting.
I14C1314.jpg

In the meantime see if this works. Otherwise go to www.groundsky.co.nz and search Targa 2007 for car no. 54

Last edited:
I30P1518.jpg

Here's some more info about the car.

1960 PV544 Sport

Currently:

B20
Twin Weber DCOE 42
Built and balanced for 8000rpm
Max revs with current cam: 6100rpm
Approx 130hp at the rear wheels

M40 gearbox
4.11 rear end w/LSD

195/50R15 on 15x5.5 Minilite wheels

Koni "classic" shocks - double dampers at each front wheel.
Currently running original springs all round!

Poly bushings front and rear
IPD front anti roll bar

vV Thinking about a rear bar! Vv

I38L5006.jpg

Last edited:
Back