• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

N/a 240 exhaust options

That's funny I had to chop the ends of the bell on the Thrush 2-1/4" cherry bomb off because the 2-1/4" pipe sticking out was too small for the Starla pipe. I think you couldn't be more wronger. I bought the Starla around 2008, perhaps they've changed the specs since then in which case I'll admit you might be sort of right.

Early downpipe with the long secondaries, 2"-to-2.5" transition, 2.5" (4" x 9", I think) Magnaflow, 2.5" 45deg bend, 2.5" out the side. Flat torque from about 1900 to 4600 with a K cam and MS&S.

111991465.jpg

93619968.jpg

93619963.jpg

2006 was a good year :nod:

Zero tickets. One 1600 mile round trip to Alabama.

Early downpipe with the long secondaries, 2"-to-2.5" transition, 2.5" (4" x 9", I think) Magnaflow, 2.5" 45deg bend, 2.5" out the side. Flat torque from about 1900 to 4600 with a K cam and MS&S.

111991465.jpg

93619968.jpg

93619963.jpg

2006 was a good year :nod:

Zero tickets. One 1600 mile round trip to Alabama.

I like this setup a lot...

but WTF is MS&S? MegaSquirt & ???

^ Megasquirt.

You can also (as I mentioned) hear a side exit on my youtube channel. But that's with a cat AND a turbo (which is an excellent muffler). But side exit is great!

The NA car I just got has the sport exhaust with just the muffler. It sounds slightly more tough standing outside the car, but you cannot hear it at all inside the car.

If you are looking for something you can hear inside the car, you need something more aggressive. Dynomax makes several lengths of glasspacks that you could try very cheaply. Basically the shorter they are, the louder and more raspy.

I have these on my autocross 240 and love them (but its a 5.0 ford). Good smooth sound at idle & mild throttle but when you put your foot down all hell breaks loose.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-24234

They also have even shorter ones that are louder yet

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-24250

And then of course numerous suppliers make the "standard" style which are usually 18". But those aren't loud enough to qualify as slightly obnoxious.

I actually removed the rear muffler added a straight pipe extension and a resonated tip. Its aggressive without being obnoxious when cruising
From my project thread
20170614_194940_zpsgmqu7ps6.jpg

20170614_203715_zpsckp3oqaa.jpg

I went on the cheap after I bought my 91. I had the car less than a month and the rear muffler fell off pulling into work one day...I ran it straight piped and it was loud and good, but raspy. I put a Thrush muffler on in it's place and it sounds great. Not a whole lot of drone in the cab on highway jaunts. The Wife has never complained about it. I am running factory 2", but 2.25" would help more with the better flowing K-cam.

Ok so I think I've sold myself on using a big glasspack or two...

BUT:
I have 8' of 3" exhaust tubing and a nice 3" chrome tip. Can I use that? I can't imagine the torque loss will be too horrible...

I had a n/a 240 with K-cam. Ran factory Turbo exhaust (single rear muffler, underaxle pipe) mated to stock downpipe.

I installed one of these on my b23 NA, B cam, otherwise stock. IMO the sound is perfect. Fairly deep mellow tone at idle but a nice rasp at heavy throttle. Not much louder than the IPD sport exhaust I had on it at idle, but definitely can now hear it inside the car when driving.

These are my fav glass packs. Have a directional louver inside that give it more of a raspy tone than a normal glasspack

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-630812

Back